All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Cheap amplifier for DDS

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
tarakan2
Mon Feb 12 2018, 12:27AM Print
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
Hello.
I am looking for a cheap way to amplify DDS generator output of around 10khz to 1mhz.
I would like to measure resonant frequency of a circuit that is similar to a tesla transformer.

I find it strange that there are very few DDS generator amplifier circuits out there, both commercial and as circuit diagrams.

How do I couple the output of a DDS generator to a load?

What is the minimal load resistance that I can directly connect to DDS? How much power do they output?
Do they have a protection from short circuit?

Thank you.
hen918
Mon Feb 12 2018, 01:12AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
They are difficult to find because amplifying arbitrary signals over that high bandwidth is extremely difficult.
Remember that arbitrary signals are made up of lots of frequency components; if the waveform has a steep slope much of the frequency spectrum will be above the fundamental frequency. at more than about 100 kHz, power devices (BJTs, MOSFETs, diodes, etc) cannot switch fast enough keep up and maintain a satisfactory reproduction of the input signal if the input slews too fast.

High frequency power electronics (transmitters, Tesla coils, ect) work by operating at resonance. As resonance can only occur at a specific frequency, they are limited to sine waves (or damped sinusoids in the case of TCs) and cannot produce arbitrary waveforms.
Sulaiman
Mon Feb 12 2018, 02:25PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I too want a power amplifier (say 1 to 10 W, 100 W possibly) for the frequency range up to > 1 MHz.
I've made diy PAs for audio and 10 - 50 MHz ... challenging.

I've not made my 'up to 1 MHz PA' yet as I usually fail on paper.
I can not design an efficient (>=50% would be ok), linear (<0.1% thd), simple cheap topology.
But I am out of touch with state-of-the-art, there must be an IC for it, preferably 0.1" dil ?
(power supplies now switch at what I considered high frequency radio, CPUs operate at microwave carrier frequencies ...)

Ideally I'd like a cheap Chinese ready made pcb because I'm lazy and they usually are cheaper than component cost.
(I'm still amazed how small per watt ClassD PAs are)
tarakan2
Tue Feb 13 2018, 04:17AM
hen918 wrote ...

They are difficult to find because amplifying arbitrary signals over that high bandwidth is extremely difficult.
Remember that arbitrary signals are made up of lots of frequency components; if the waveform has a steep slope much of the frequency spectrum will be above the fundamental frequency. at more than about 100 kHz, power devices (BJTs, MOSFETs, diodes, etc) cannot switch fast enough keep up and maintain a satisfactory reproduction of the input signal if the input slews too fast.

High frequency power electronics (transmitters, Tesla coils, ect) work by operating at resonance. As resonance can only occur at a specific frequency, they are limited to sine waves (or damped sinusoids in the case of TCs) and cannot produce arbitrary waveforms.

I am looking for ways to drive a device that is similar to a Tesla Transformer below 1MHz with duty cycle control.
I believe that below 1MHz those things are still possible to build.
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 13 2018, 11:46AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
tarakan2

At MHz freqencies I can get ferrite cores for transformers at moderate cost and small size, so transformer-coupled push-pull is reasonably straightforward.
A power transformer for say 10 kHz to 1 MHz may be quite challenging, large or costly.

At audio frequencies it is normal to use ac and dc coupling without the need for transformers,
using the typical half- or full-bridge topology.
Most power transistors used in audio power amplifier output stages usually have low gain-bandwidth so become less useful above 100 kHz.
I guess that for a up to 1 MHz bridge type linear power amplifier mosfets are required,
but common power mosfet intrinsic capcitances become problematic at MHz's.

For moderate output power I'm still considering the IRF510's as they have relatively low gate capacitance, I've used them uo to 14 MHz as reasnably linear PA transistors, and I have stock.
Now that this topic has come up I'll have another think, maybe ferrite core push-pull is practical with newer ferrites, mostly not available via my normal sellers ...

The lower the frequency range (bandwidth) required, the easier PA design becomes,
so maybe use a conventional audio amplifier to 10's kHz, (I like the LM380)
and buy or design your PA to cover from there to MHz

tarakan2
Tue Feb 13 2018, 10:09PM
What is the maximum power that I can draw from a DDS device like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-KITS-AVR-DDS-V2-0-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-Sine-Triangle-Square-Wave-sine-square/32795602200.html?traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_3_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=ca2e4660-435c-4360-aed9-169fa169b541&tpp=1

What would happen if I connect a MOSFET gate or a bipolar transistor base (through a resistor) to the output of this generator?

I am not an expert on amplifiers so I am looking for a good circuit that would work up to 1MHz, maybe up to 2MHz to be safe.

I want to drive primary coils.
hen918
Tue Feb 13 2018, 11:28PM
tarakan2 wrote ...

What is the maximum power that I can draw from a DDS device like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-KITS-AVR-DDS-V2-0-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-Sine-Triangle-Square-Wave-sine-square/32795602200.html?traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_3_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=ca2e4660-435c-4360-aed9-169fa169b541&tpp=1

What would happen if I connect a MOSFET gate or a bipolar transistor base (through a resistor) to the output of this generator?

I am not an expert on amplifiers so I am looking for a good circuit that would work up to 1MHz, maybe up to 2MHz to be safe.

I want to drive primary coils.

A few mA perhaps, and nothing particularly useful.
A few words on transistors: MOSFETs convert a voltage on the gate into a current through the drain & source. BJTs convert a current to a current. Whilst this is fine; neither a MOSFET nor a BJT exhibits linear characteristics over their operating region, so if you put a voltage of less than a couple of volts onto the gates of most MOSFETs, nothing would happen. Then between 2V and 8V everything would happen, but not proportionally to the input voltage. You can, of course, use various techniques for getting the output of the amplifier to closely resemble the input, involving feedback and many other semiconductors, but the high frequency and the requirement for reproducing arbitrary signals makes it extremely difficult.

To measure the resonance of a TC you could make a 555 monostable, set to produce a pulse of variable width, put the output directly into the gate of a MOSFET (as we are now dealing with on/off transitions, so the non-linearity is not a problem), use this circuit to stimulate the LC into resonating with a damped sinusoid which you could measure the frequency of with an oscilloscope.
Dr. Slack
Wed Feb 14 2018, 07:03AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
tarakan2 wrote ...

Hello.
I am looking for a cheap way to amplify DDS generator output of around 10khz to 1mhz.
I would like to measure resonant frequency of a circuit that is similar to a tesla transformer.

Let's get clear, do you simply want to *measure* your TC, so a volt or so from 50 ohms would be sufficient, or do you want to *power* a TC, where you need tens or hundreds of volts with some serious current behind it?

If the former, then a while ago I designed a commercial instrument that needed to produce 'a volt or so from 50 ohms' from DC to I forget how many 10s of MHz, and the easiest/cheapest way to do it was to use 3 high speed op-amps THS3091 Link2, each driving a 150ohm sourcing resistor, paralleled up at the output. To get to 1MHz, you only need something like (for instance ) THS4052 from TI, a few dollars from digikey. Have a look at the high speed op-amps from Maxim, Analog and TI to see if there's anything better suited. Many of these are also available on small evaluation boards, which (at a price, often not too big) solves the mounting, heatsinking, decoupling problem very easily for a one-off.
tarakan2
Fri Feb 16 2018, 04:00PM
Dear Dr. Slack, what does "a volt or so from 50 ohms" mean?
hen918
Fri Feb 16 2018, 04:13PM
tarakan2 wrote ...

Dear Dr. Slack, what does "a volt or so from 50 ohms" mean?

I believe Dr Slack is referring to a resistor value you could use as a current shunt and a voltage you could expect across it. Using ohms law it means a current of 20 mA.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: