All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thermal and shot noise

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Feb 03 2018, 11:41PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Can snubber caps help eliminate thermal and shot noise?
Uspring
Tue Feb 06 2018, 10:24AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Yes, they can. Whether that is useful depends on what you are trying to achieve. In signal processing applications there is often a noise component on top of your signal. Filtering that is possible, but that will affect also the signal. Caps will take away high frequency components of the noise but also those of the signal. So if you are also interested in high frequency components of the signal, that doesn't help.

Ash Small
Wed Feb 21 2018, 02:38AM
I imagine thermal and shot noise to be a quantum thing, which manifests itself as a disturbance which induces an effect similar to that in a geiger counter (very oversimplified).

It's an experimental audio circuit I'm working on, with the ability to switch various different capacitors in and out, so I'll get it boxed up and see what happens.

I'm using diodes as a voltage reference, I've paralleled some, hoping that will help to reduce thermal and shot noise. Does this make sense, or am I on the wrong track?

Edit: The reference voltage is a part of the signal path.
Dr. Slack
Wed Feb 21 2018, 09:08AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
One two port component is one degree of freedom.

Thermal noise (equipartition noise) has a given power per per degree of freedom, the normal 4ktb thang.

If you change the impedance of the component, you change the ratio of voltage and current noise.

Shot and impulse noise occur in addition to thermal noise. Shot noise is a random thing which follows the sqrt(I) expectation, so higher current means better SNR.

Restricting your bandwidth reduces the total observed noise power, but it leaves the SNR unchanged at any given frequency. Restricting your observation bandwidth to your signal bandwidth is a standard processing thing you ought to be doing anyway.

Caps sold as 'snubber' are just as good as any other capacitor for building filters.

Be aware that voltage references are notoriously noisy, especially 'bandgap' types, which achieve their low tempco by taking a small difference between two larger values and amplifying it by a factor of 10. If you don't need thermal stability, then a silicon diode or two fed by a (quiet) constant current will be much quieter.

FWIW, the quietest noise reference I've seen described is a half-discharged lead acid cell. You can model that as a very large capacitor!
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 21 2018, 09:12AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Could you use lower noise bandgap (typ. 1v23) reference diodes such as LM385 ?

I'm not keen on the term 'snubber capacitor' in this context as I usually associate it with supression of transient switching spikes,
just 'capacitor', or 'bypass capacitor' would be more appropriate,
and yes, a capacitor will shunt current noise.
Can you show the part of the circuitry in question ?
Uspring
Wed Feb 21 2018, 10:00AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Thermal noise arises from fluctuations of thermal energy. More specifically, this energy is shared between motion of molecules and also minute electric fields in your device. There is a constant exchange between these energy forms, which leads to a fluctuation of voltages and currents.

Shot noise comes from the discrete values of e.g. charge. If you have a DC current of say, a 100 electrons per second, the number of electrons will rarely be exactly 100 in a given second, but will fluctuate around it. This creates noise.

Similarly in e.g. cameras, light is received in packets, aka photons, which will create noise in your image.
Ash Small
Mon Mar 12 2018, 11:48PM
Thanks for the replies. I was using diodes (LED's) to give me the -ve reference voltage for the gate of a JFET. I've wired it up so I can switch between diodes and resistors, with a parallel cap, and I'm generally preferring the sound of the resistors, and the caps add some real fatness to the sound. Switching the caps in parallel with the diodes doesn't appear to make an audible difference.

There are some new SiC power JFET's out.....Watch this space wink

Edit: I associate 'snubber' with 'smoothing capacitor'.....It evens out voltage 'irregularities' wink
Sulaiman
Tue Mar 13 2018, 03:44AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
It seems that your understanding of 'snubber' is different;

International Rectifier
Link2

Cornell Dubilier
Snubbers are any of several simple energy absorbing circuits used to eliminate voltage spikes caused by circuit inductance when a switch — either mechanical or semi-conductor—opens

Wikipedia
Snubbers are frequently used in electrical systems with an inductive load where the sudden interruption of current flow leads to a sharp rise in voltage across the current switching device, in accordance with Faraday's law. This transient can be a source of electromagnetic interference (EMI) in other circuits. Additionally, if the voltage generated across the device is beyond what the device is intended to tolerate, it may damage or destroy it. The snubber provides a short-term alternative current path around the current switching device so that the inductive element may be discharged more safely and quietly. Inductive elements are often unintentional, but arise from the current loops implied by physical circuitry. While current switching is everywhere, snubbers will generally only be required where a major current path is switched, such as in power supplies. Snubbers are also often used to prevent arcing across the contacts of relays and switches and the electrical interference and welding/sticking of the contacts that can occur (see also arc suppression).

Vishay
In power electronics applications, snubber capacitors are in charge of reducing the electromagnetic interference by clamping voltage and current ringing. Directly mounted on IGBT Modules, for stray inductance reduction, Snubber capacitors are supplied in configurable terminals for versatility purpose.
Ash Small
Tue Apr 24 2018, 06:42PM
Sulaiman, I was thinking 'snubber' in the context of eliminating 'spikes' from shot noise. Maybe my interpretation is unconventional, but I see noise as spikes.

Now, a new question about shot noise in particular..... I've a hunch larger wattage resistors will result in less shot noise for a given current.

Does anyone have any 'opinion' either way on this?

Thanks in advance wink
hen918
Tue Apr 24 2018, 09:55PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
the problem is the 'spikes' are minuscule. When ever something is conducting very slightly, a small number of electrons are moving (in mostly random directions, but one direction more than the others). The thing is, the current required to get that low a number of electrons that you will be affected by shot noise is in the sub picoamp level. And capacitors ain't gonna stop it.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: