Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fifty shades of...

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Tue Jan 23 2018, 08:35PM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
"Hurt me, hurt me" she said. "Very well" he said, as he replaced her 4GB RAM with a 256MB and installed Windows Vista.

"What do you mean this isn't your Red Room Of Pain? Every surface is covered with laptops and desktops installing n of 190 updates."

"Windows 10 Fifty Shades Edition: Now with Core I9, 32GB RAM and 2TB hard disk required to install."

"The SPECTRE and Meltdown patches: Its like playing Russian Roulette with your PC but with every chamber but one loaded."

"SPECTRE: The flaw so bad it had to be listed as ALL CAPS."

feel free to share/add.

-A
Uspring
Wed Jan 24 2018, 09:42AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
SPECTRE is probably not so harmful in a private PC environment because it requires a maleficient process to be already running on your computer to gain access to external data. It is bad for hosting providers who have lots of virtual machines running on the same hardware. And it is really hard to patch properly.
Nik
Wed Jan 24 2018, 05:36PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
Conundrum wrote ...

"Windows 10 Fifty Shades Edition: Now with Core I9, 32GB RAM and 2TB hard disk required to install."

*Looks at PC specs*

Does a Ryzen 1800 count?
Conundrum
Thu Feb 01 2018, 06:47AM
(soapbox)

8 core? Yup, that might get what, a 4.0 on the infamous Windows Experience Index.
FFS, can Microsoft actually listen to its customers and write an OS that isn't loaded with bloatware from the start? I know that 10 is fairly compact compared with the crime against humanity that was Windows 8 but do we really need frelling Candy Crush Saga, ICBM edition?! I have to *pay* for my bandwidth usage and that one ad cost me £1.60 over a month.

(/soapbox)
the_anomaly
Thu Feb 01 2018, 12:39PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
8 core? Yup, that might get what, a 4.0 on the infamous Windows Experience Index.
FFS, can Microsoft actually listen to its customers and write an OS that isn't loaded with bloatware from the start? I know that 10 is fairly compact compared with the crime against humanity that was Windows 8 but do we really need frelling Candy Crush Saga, ICBM edition?! I have to *pay* for my bandwidth usage and that one ad cost me £1.60 over a month.

Well you could always run Linux? I always buy my OS and install after the PC build so I don't end up with third party crap. No Candy Crush on my 10 machine; still prefer 7 though...

Conundrum
Sun Feb 04 2018, 05:51AM
The big problem is that I did try Ubuntu (16.10 IIRC) a while back. While it did work for most tasks I never managed to get (a) PIC programmer, (b) SDR or (c) the FN keys to work. Seems M$ saw fit to prevent Linux users accessing brightness controls on non-Windows systems.
Also a useful hint, if you did want to try 17.20 its worth getting both x32 and x64 distros as for some reason the Atom CPUs made before 2014 don't always work reliably on x64. Probably why they got discontinued (maybe related to the C2000 bug)
Now up to 18.04 LTS IIRC

Currently running 7 x64 on netbook, maxed out at 4GB RAM.
Even with a 7200RPM 750GB its still slow as molasses in January, and 10 though it would likely work is just not optimized for netbooks.
I'd have used Lubuntu but my last pendrive got "borrowed" and haven't seen it since.
A hack that would be worth trying is a custom BIOS for these which enumerates the SD slot as a slow-but-usable bootable drive and supports forensic recovery.

EDIT: Working on it.
I found out that my programmer isn't missing but was seized by UK Customs because its an "infringing device".. not sure what that would be.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: