ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

No go with DRSSTC after replacing IGBT's

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
nzoomed
Sun Jan 21 2018, 12:51AM Print
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Its been a whole year since ive had a chance to get back and rebuild my coil and the news is not good.

First time it blew up about 14 months ago, i replaced the failed IGBT brick thinking thats all i needed to replace.
At the time i failed to realise that the TVS clamps short on failure, so i had stuffed up the new IGBT shortly after turning on the coil.

This time i ordered a brand new pair if CM300 IGBT's and wound a new GDT, replaced all the TVS clamps and diodes on the bus just to be doubly sure that everything was OK.

Now it wont go at all, i hear the usual buzzing sound that the GDT makes when fired up, but the coil fails to oscillate, I dont even think the bridge output is for that matter.

I thought that the phasing may have been out with the new GDT, so i switched the jumpers over on the UD board and made no difference.

I also realised that my variac was getting hot when i started to turn up the voltage and it was smoking shortly once I started to turn the knob.

Yet there was no short across the bus with my multimeter, i decided to connect a low 12V power supply to the bus and its not drawing any current as if it was in a short circuit.

I decided to just bypass the variac and it blows the mains circuit breaker as soon as i plug it into the wall.
Any ideas?

TIA
profdc9
Sun Jan 21 2018, 02:01AM
profdc9 Registered Member #58522 Joined: Tue Mar 15 2016, 08:33PM
Perhaps the diodes in your full wave bridge are blown, or one of the diodes if you're using a voltage doubler? Using your variac at a very low setting, could you measure the AC and DC voltage across the bus? A high AC voltage could indicate bad diodes, or no DC voltage. Do you have a bleeder resistor on the bus? You could put a 1k ohm resistor on the bus temporarily and run it at < 12 V to charge the capacitor and filter the ripple from the variac.

With the DC supply, it may be charging the bus one way and not drawing any further current. Try the DC supply both polarities to see if it shorts either way.
nzoomed
Sun Jan 21 2018, 07:35AM
profdc9 wrote ...

Perhaps the diodes in your full wave bridge are blown, or one of the diodes if you're using a voltage doubler? Using your variac at a very low setting, could you measure the AC and DC voltage across the bus? A high AC voltage could indicate bad diodes, or no DC voltage. Do you have a bleeder resistor on the bus? You could put a 1k ohm resistor on the bus temporarily and run it at < 12 V to charge the capacitor and filter the ripple from the variac.

With the DC supply, it may be charging the bus one way and not drawing any further current. Try the DC supply both polarities to see if it shorts either way.

Seems to have the correct voltage on there when using a low 12VAC source and without a voltage doubler, im reading about 18VDC across the bus.
hen918
Sun Jan 21 2018, 05:17PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
try testing the IGBTs and diodes individually with a multi-meter on the diode test mode. One IGBT or diode might have gone (who knows why) or might have been DOA, and that would only be apparent when it's opposite number switched on.
It goes without saying, but double and triple check all the connections when back in the right place and are secure.
try powering up the bus on it's own without the controller running and checking current.
nzoomed
Sun Jan 21 2018, 10:05PM
Thats going to be a pain if i have to pull the whole inverter apart again to test the IGBT's, but they were brand new.
Anyway, I cant see any sign of shorting when i connect a low voltage power supply, usually you see some sparks when touching the wires, and i get nothing at all, yet when the variac is connected, it was overheating as soon as i turned up the voltage.

Ill have to find an ammeter to test for sure, but it seems that its shorting once the voltage increases.
Alex Yuan
Tue Jan 23 2018, 01:42AM
Alex  Yuan Registered Member #9614 Joined: Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:00PM
Since it was failing to oscillate, I was going to suggest checking your driver, but it seems like an issue with the power supply.

Not sure what your bus is like, but can you take out your igbts and power up just your power supply? Not sure what you have, doubler or not, but there's not much to it. If there's still an issue, it's probably a rectifier diode. Or less likely maybe a film cap or MOV if you have one.
Graham Armitage
Wed Jan 24 2018, 02:16PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
If the DC bus supply is working, what is your scope telling you when running at low voltage - is it oscillating? If not, something in the bridge may be short circuiting. Disconnect the DC bus and try some low voltage tests on the bridge. Powering up without a variac can often trip a breaker on a functioning coil, as the large DC caps will appear as short circuit for a split second. Don't assume it's related to your problem.
orac12
Thu Jan 25 2018, 08:46AM
orac12 Registered Member #9879 Joined: Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:00AM
If you don't have a precharge circuit and plug it straight in without using the variac ( and winding it up from nothing), it will try to charge the DC bus instantaneously which will draw A LOT of current.
nzoomed
Sun Jan 28 2018, 08:58AM
Alex Yuan wrote ...

Since it was failing to oscillate, I was going to suggest checking your driver, but it seems like an issue with the power supply.

Not sure what your bus is like, but can you take out your igbts and power up just your power supply? Not sure what you have, doubler or not, but there's not much to it. If there's still an issue, it's probably a rectifier diode. Or less likely maybe a film cap or MOV if you have one.
This is the problem im having, even with the coil powered on but with no signal driving the oscillator, i was getting the short happen.
Its like there is some sort of short across the bus but have no idea what it is, because my meter is giving a high reading and that is just the bleeder resistor.
Ive got a film cap from the bus to ground as a means of strike protection.
nzoomed
Sun Jan 28 2018, 08:59AM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

If the DC bus supply is working, what is your scope telling you when running at low voltage - is it oscillating? If not, something in the bridge may be short circuiting. Disconnect the DC bus and try some low voltage tests on the bridge. Powering up without a variac can often trip a breaker on a functioning coil, as the large DC caps will appear as short circuit for a split second. Don't assume it's related to your problem.
Thats what i was assuming too that it was just the inrush of current but then when I saw the variac smoking i knew something was up.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: