Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hot-wire cutters for plastic foam disks and balls.

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Mon Dec 18 2017, 08:59AM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
The disk making project came first, as an unexpected branch of another project. While thinking about easy & inexpensive ways to make a round form, I saw a bundle of new foam insulation boards, being discarded by a neighbor. Each large sheet had been broken roughly in half, to make the bale less unwieldy for the garbage collector.

Some pieces came home and got turned (literally) into 28 inch (70 cm) disks. Cutting tool is a stationary, vertical hot wire. Workpiece is rotated by hand; it takes a minute or two to go all the way around.
1513585115 2099 FT0 Small 0032

Initially I tried a 1/4" diameter pivot pin passing all the way through the workpiece, but that was too floppy. Version 2 requires no hole in the work. A scrap of cat-food-can metal, taped to the bottom of foam board, bears a stubby metal pin. That engages one of several holes near the edge of the plywood.
1513584108 2099 FT0 Dscn0926

Radius is adjusted coarsely by using different holes in the plywood, and finely by moving the wire holder.
1513586671 2099 FT0 Dscn0927

It was easy to cut foam with some steel wire from a bread bag twist-tie, after removing the paper. But that needed almost 5 amperes of current, at much less than 1 volt. I found some more resistive wire of about the same diameter in a broken quartz-tube radiant heating element. That starts doing the job at only 2 amps, and cuts nice and fast at 4 amps.
1513587265 2099 FT0 Small 0036

By the way, two 28" circles barely fit in a 48" square. When cutting four circles from a 48 x 96" sheet, they can be a little bigger than 29". For nominally metric material sizes, I bet the ratios would be the same.
klugesmith
Fri Dec 22 2017, 08:47AM
Now a few words about cutting foam _balls_ with a hot wire. In this case, the material came in ball shape from the craft store, and was cut into non-ball shapes as a favor for my wife. Diameter is 10 cm.

1513931931 2099 FT181000 Dscn9991

Description of the work holder, wire holder, and their relative motion will wait until I can present the pictures.
Wire is from the same broken quartz heating element, but is more than 8 inches long. My power source, a rewound UPS transformer bigger than a MOT, almost ran out of voltage! With variac at 140 V, I measured 3.86 VAC at transformer secondary terminals and 3.74 V between the ends of the hot wire. For about 2.1 amps, at which the wire cut slowly but left a nice kerf surface.
klugesmith
Fri Dec 29 2017, 06:01PM
The ball was cut using some resistance wire soldered in-line between two stranded, insulated copper wires.
With one hand on each end, the wire is held tight and guided along some wooden sticks.
1514569368 2099 FT181000 Dscn9985
In picture there's a stick on top of the ball, which had another brick on top to hold the work firmly enough. Low-V high-I rewound transformer is visible in the background. It's much bigger than necessary for this job, since 3 amps x 5 volts would be plenty of power for that size wire.

1514569744 2099 FT181000 Dscn9988
First cut was at the mold-line equator. The first 40% of cut surface is smooth. Then, being impatient with the slow progress, I started a sawing motion with the hot wire. That made an interesting pattern because of residual curliness in the wire. Next time, try annealing the mostly-straightened wire before rolling it between flat metal plates.
Conundrum
Fri Jan 19 2018, 07:43AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
You could use it for removing screens on OLED panels with cracked glass.
Heat + Moly would work very well!

I had a similar idea for making custom foam cases once when working at a charity shop but LVCR put paid to that idea.
Signification
Sat Aug 03 2019, 08:24AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
QUICK POST BLURT: I have no experience with hot wire cutters (yet), but just got two 50 foot reels of 20 & 18 AWG TEMco Nichrome round resistance wire from Ebay (Never Knew It Was Soo Cheap!). I haven't tried then yet, but as soon as I get time.
Just my 2 cents... I need to study your post a bit more...bet I should have finished reading your posts.
Patrick
Wed Aug 07 2019, 07:10PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
I too purchased nichrome wire, Ive been make 10-30 watt resistors that dont hardly heat up. some are used as current sensors, 0.068 ohms. You couldn't but a high what resistor but for huge price, and probably not the value you wanted. I use 5 or 10 or however many strands in parallel and length needed to get my value.

I have a ultra low ohm meter that helps me, 0.000000 digits. its cheap and Chinese, and I only consider the first 3 place digits to the right of the decimal as credible. It uses kelvin measuring with 4 wires to a 2 terminal resistor.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: