ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

VTTC Winding Direction

Move Thread LAN_403
Dave Array
Sun Dec 17 2017, 12:51PM Print
Dave Array Registered Member #58126 Joined: Sun Dec 13 2015, 01:56PM
Hello - I've been working on an 810 tube coil and been having some unexplained problems with it. I remember reading about someone talking about relative winding directions for the three coils and how it seems to make a big unexpected difference in performance. That and their orientation in the schematic. This might be the source of the problems I'm having with this coil. I believe Rodger form Ohio had talked about this. Does anyone have any info that might help?

Thanks
Dave
SpaceWyzard
Sat Apr 21 2018, 02:43PM
SpaceWyzard Registered Member #2318 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2009, 01:22AM
All I know is that I built mine with all three coils wrapped the same direction and it worked fine.
Weston
Sun Apr 22 2018, 09:57PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Changing the winding director changes the phasing of the coil with respect to the top/bottom of the coil. If you swapped a CW wound coil out for a CCW wound coil you would just need to swap the connections. So if the top of you primary / feedback coil was connected to some node of the circuit you would now connect the bottom.

To a first order approximation, flipping the coil should not make a difference, the magnetic coupling is the same.

There could be some effects on the E-field depending on the coil winding direction. In one direction the Efield of the primary / feedback coil is out of phase with the secondary coil, in the other direction it is in phase.

I don't think this would have much of an impact though as the secondary voltage is so much higher than the primary / feedback voltage and the capacitance coupling the two is small. If you wanted to better quantify this you could simulate it as a coupling capacitance.

My guess would be that if it had any impact at all you would want the coils wound such that the Efield of all of the coils is in phase.

If you have the "wrong" phasing of the feedback coil a VTTC will not oscillate or oscillate very weakly leading to no / weak sparks. It could be possible that what you read had the personal also accidentally swapping the phasing in addition to the winding direction, leading to a large change in performance due purely to the incorrect phasing.

Dr. Slack
Mon Apr 23 2018, 07:24AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
You obviously need to have the phasing/polarity of the coils correct, so starts/finishes chosen to give the correct sense of feedback.

However, whether the coils are wound CW or CCW is bordering on pseudoscience. There is no effect, to first order.

There is a very very slight effect to second order, but essentially irrelevant, it amounts to slight differences of strays. It will not make the difference between a working and non-working coil, but it might affect the precise frequency by a few ppm.

There are unfortunately many people who wear tin-foil hats who will seize on any parameter to obsess over, and winding direction is one of them, usually for transmitting their free energy.

There is one situation where winding direction is important, and that's the slow wave structure for a circular polarised helical antenna. The handedness of the helix means it will couple to CW or CCW polarisation. Of course, you can see that the wavelength is of the order of the helix dimensions. In a Tesla coil, the winding helix dimensions are orders of magnitude smaller than the wavelength, and so are essentially irrelevant.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: