Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

For my first thread, an extreem mot power supply !

Move Thread LAN_403
Vigh holtage
Sun Dec 17 2017, 06:13PM
Vigh holtage Registered Member #61739 Joined: Wed Aug 23 2017, 04:43PM
I dont expect them to last long lol. They are here to abuse until i can make a proper mmc for the doubler/rectifier
Vigh holtage
Wed Dec 20 2017, 10:54AM
they are under oil now, the humming noise is down a lot now except for the balast, also i have a 2 pole 20amp switch i am going to wire to the balast so i can switch it on or off and run it balasted on one pole of the switch or unbalasted off the other pole incase i want to use a differant external balast. This way i can shut off and bypass the internal balast with a flick of a switch then use it like that.

Small video.
Link2

Vigh holtage
Wed Dec 27 2017, 01:08AM
Alrighty , some more work done !

I got 2 of my 4 meters in from china the other 2 are stuck in a warehouse somewhere but i am assured that i will get them , lol ...

I installed a all in one power meter on the input of the ac power supply/variac and added a didgital volt meter to the output, just got to add my amp meter and my didgital thermometer and probe. !

Link2

Here is the video of the variac and the installed power monitering meters
Vigh holtage
Thu Dec 28 2017, 10:49AM
I have run into a problem that only presented itself once the meters were installed in my 3kva variac, i had a so called utility outlet that i was using to power the heavy dutui equipment, and i saw a 20 volt drop at 20 amps !!!

Well first i checked the outlet by removing it and saw it had only 2 white wires that were 14-16 awg !!!!! Wtf and no ground at all !!! !!!
Whaaaaaat ?
Whoever wired this with all the same color white wire and sorely under sized guage wire for the breaker needs a punch to the head !!!

Soo i had to buy a single 30 amp utillity outlet and rewire the breaker box to the outlet using 10awg solid copper romex style black, white, ground.

So the breaker outlet is fixed but now but my extention cord is to thin and there is still a significant drop with 30feet of 14awg cord ! So now i got to buy 25 feet of 10awg cord and a 30amp male utility plug to make a new cord for my variac to prevent this voltage drop Aaaaahhh !

At least i fixed the breaker, it is properly wired and grounded now for 30 amps @ 120 volts.
Vigh holtage
Thu Dec 28 2017, 11:26AM
Double post
Vigh holtage
Double post
Vigh holtage
Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the process I was kind of aggravated that what I saw and didn't think to pull up my camera but I did take an after picture of the new outlet when I get home I will add some pictures of inside the breaker
1514460418 61739 FT180951 20171228 055703

Edit... I may change it over to a larger spin lock Outlet and use it for powering only the variac which would have a very long 10 gauge cord with a male spinlock adapter depending on cost

Edit ... it appears this Outlet is only rated at 20 amps continuous so I will need a Nema L5 30 amp twist-lock outlet which I'm probably going to have to swap Breakers and simply add another receptacle besides this one and replace this breaker with a 15 or 20 amper

Ahhhhh , it's very easy to build a Mot power supply powering it sufficiently however is another story by the time I'm done I could run a pole Pig of the outlet required for this Supply !!!!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: