Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Musical Neon Oscillators

Move Thread LAN_403
StaticBuildup
Sat Sept 16 2017, 11:24PM Print
StaticBuildup Registered Member #61695 Joined: Sun Jul 16 2017, 11:22PM
Hi everyone, new here. smile

A recent project of mine is a musical neon oscillator circuit. I got the idea from a very old electronics magazine which someone put online. It is made from small neon bulbs, capacitors and resistors, and the output then goes to an amplifier. There are no microcontrollers, transistors or diodes in it! The original circuit diagram had a 90v battery, which I replaced with a nixie tube power supply. (107V!)

The original circuit used push buttons for the keys. I am using copper foil for the keys, and holding the output, so I am part of the circuit. The tremolo effect is by varying pressure on the foil. The current is very low (microamps) as the resistor values are very large. Tuning is very difficult with my method.

I would like to change the tone with maybe more capacitors.

Lucia
Adam Munich
Fri Sept 22 2017, 07:12AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Interesting, what magazine did you find the circuit in? Curious to see it.
DerAlbi
Fri Sept 22 2017, 07:17AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Did i understand correctly that you are part of the resistance that determines the oscillation frequency to make the tremolo work ?
If so, what happens if you sweat? Does the frequencies need to be re-adjusted, or will the frequency-ratios between be constant (so it would still sound nicely)?
Another way to ask the same question: did you adjust the frequency of each tone by resistance or by capacitance? (judging by the row of potentiometers i can guess the answer.. i mainly want to point out the difference of using R vs C for tuning when R itself is variable)
StaticBuildup
Sat Sept 23 2017, 11:03PM
StaticBuildup Registered Member #61695 Joined: Sun Jul 16 2017, 11:22PM
Adam Munich wrote ...

Interesting, what magazine did you find the circuit in? Curious to see it.
Practical Electronics 1966. The circuit diagram is here, it is the Music Generator.
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=193830&postcount=16

DerAlbi wrote ...

Did i understand correctly that you are part of the resistance that determines the oscillation frequency to make the tremolo work ?
If so, what happens if you sweat? Does the frequencies need to be re-adjusted, or will the frequency-ratios between be constant (so it would still sound nicely)?
Another way to ask the same question: did you adjust the frequency of each tone by resistance or by capacitance? (judging by the row of potentiometers i can guess the answer.. i mainly want to point out the difference of using R vs C for tuning when R itself is variable)
Yes.
Sweating does change the resistance, so the frequencies do need to be re-adjusted. Using this method to play it, it needs to be tuned just before playing. A few minutes later it might be totally out of tune.
The tuning is by resistance only.
The original circuit with push buttons produces a basic sawtooth wave tone and is very easy to play. My method is much more expressive, but it is very difficult. If you don't get the pressure and area of contact right it sounds like a seabird colony. amazed

[Edit: Fixed URL]
Conundrum
Sat Sept 30 2017, 05:04AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
I think this was in "Electronics World" or "Practical Wireless".
Really annoyed that I didn't keep all those articles now, had literally boxes of old magazine cuttings ages ago.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: