Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The "Grim Reaper" cometh.

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Sept 10 2017, 05:40AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.

How do you deal with projects that run out of time, money or otherwise turn out to be way more trouble than they are worth.

Its happened to me a few times, notably with the laser PCB etcher but my nearly-working system ended up helping someone else as they bought a ready made module rather than trying to build a driver, and my stepper driver ICs got recycled somewhere.
They also went down the "fail" route, using inadequate parts then switching to better ones when available or affordable.

Someone else has a 3D printer (Mendel IIRC) which never worked right but rather than dumping £900+ worth of hardware they kept it.
Probably in some dusty box someplace, which is a shame as the stepper motors were half decent NEMA.

Kind regards, -A
Dr. Slack
Sun Sept 10 2017, 06:15AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
The major project I had that had to be 'dealt with' was back in 1998/2000 when I half built a fighting robot to take part in Robot Wars UK. I ran out of money (my allocation and my employer's support), the team were dissipating, and space in my workshop. I'd got as far as a rolling chassis, but only parts of the 2kJ weapon system had struggled into existence. I needed to reclaim my life, and managed to sell it as a going concern to a builder in Germany, who put a saw on it instead of my complicated weapon, and it got onto German TV, losing in the first round, but at least it fought.

After that experience, I vowed never to have a project on the go that was too large be 'back-burnerised', if there is such a phrase. That is, put into a modest sized cardboard box and pushed under the bench out of sight. It's an interesting test of the quality of my documentation to see how useful it is when I pull it out after a decade. Most of it fails the test and I end up testing, circuit tracing and reverse engineering to find out what the heck I had done. After all, it was so obvious at the time.

A number of my projects are neither success nor failure, but incomplete. I have a signal generator I built perhaps 30 years ago. It has a card rack inside for the extra features that never materialised, so as long as I only want sine or square, and only to 5v pp, it's good.
Sulaiman
Sun Sept 10 2017, 08:31AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I can not count how many partial projects I have in boxes and biscuit tins cry

Many are because I wanted to physically build a circuit to check my theory
(I like to design stuff for the sake of it, sometimes I need to get reality checks so physical construction is required)

Many are due to (my) poor design so do not proceed to completion.

Many work to the point that I sattisfy myself that I understand key concepts and it would work if I finished it
- so I get bored don't bother finishing it (yes, I know, I'm weird- OK)
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Sept 10 2017, 05:10PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Are you for real? That's like every project I have.

I've been trying to make repairs to this HP 5252 prescaler unit for the HP 5245L counter (nixie tube! YAY nixie tubes!) for 2 years now. I recently narrowed down the problem to the RF board, the time base board is fine. The problem with the RF board is probably a diode went bad, and all of the transistor beta's have drifted to the point of no return. The transistors work, and they show up on the curve tracer, and they do their thing, but their gain is low I know this, these guys are vintage 1963. Some are house marked and I have pretty much given up, I'm not going to bother with the board anymore.

So I'm designing a new prescaler based on the MC12093 x2, which replaces the entire RF binary section of the counter in 2 chips, and so this past Labor day weekend I spent designing the output buffer driver/level shifter to make the MC12093 compatible with the counter input.
Unfortunately I left the bad board still in the counter plugin frame and I wasted 3 days trying to design low power amplifiers that would drive 2-35 MHz into a 30 ohm load! What a headache that was.

When I came home from work Monday night I saw through the open service panel that the board was still installed, removed it and wala! back to 50 ohms! and the simple buffer/driver worked beautifully just the way it should have.

The 3 days lost however, was the time I needed to do the layout for the MC12093, input front end, and inverter transistors for the +13V selector switch to +5V inverted logic to select the division ratio.
At present I have not done any more work on it due to lack of interest (I know it will work now) and I have to find some time to finish it.
Plus I need some time to machine a little RF can for it to go into, but I need the board made first, so this can all wait, it's not a priority.

016f

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: