Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fully functional Bipedal social Robot.

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Oct 20 2017, 04:17PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
You'd probably get better touch response from load cells or flexible resistors over switches. Switches are not going to give you much pressure feedback, and depending on what switch you use, grip may still be loose enough to drop an object.
Chris Cristini
Fri Oct 20 2017, 04:44PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

You'd probably get better touch response from load cells or flexible resistors over switches. Switches are not going to give you much pressure feedback, and depending on what switch you use, grip may still be loose enough to drop an object.

You mean something like this? Link2 that's far better than simple switches tongue I wonder if this robot had toes these can be used to help with upright walking? I believe we use feeling in are toes for walking
Conundrum
Sun Oct 22 2017, 06:35AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Just a note, make sure you have good quality connectors for it. I think phone cables use displacement connectors as this does not stress the wire much.
Also they can't take a lot of current (50mA IIRC)
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Oct 22 2017, 04:32PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Yea a flexible resistor is perfect.

I don't see a tactile switch being adequate for grip because it will snap-over before you have enough pressure on say a can of soda, and the can will just slip out even with a hand closed.
Chris Cristini
Sun Oct 22 2017, 09:18PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Just a note, make sure you have good quality connectors for it. I think phone cables use displacement connectors as this does not stress the wire much.
Also they can't take a lot of current (50mA IIRC)

Would direct solder joints instead of a Connector work well I have almost no experience with Phone cord. rolleyes

Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Yea a flexible resistor is perfect.

I don't see a tactile switch being adequate for grip because it will snap-over before you have enough pressure on say a can of soda, and the can will just slip out even with a hand closed.

The whole switch idea was just a cheap way of some feed back But I did not think of a real world solution. Thank you!!! I would not have been able to figure out what I need to Do with out the help of this forum!! I wonder why I have ever used any other forum?

Does anyone have any Idea of how to make a good Kickstarter As you all know I have a hard time making a decent quality post tongue Here is a link to the preview Link2 Kickstarter said it is not complete enough But I misunderstood they meant the campaign not the robot it self I have no clue how to make good videos or anything social for that mater. Another thing is most Kickstarter campaigns have a team of people and a fully functional prototype. This campaign will require a ton more to get any funding.
Chris Cristini
Thu Nov 09 2017, 05:51PM
What are the chances of re purposing A CPU for ASIC? Well after more research on that I think we need an open source High performance solution over GPU. GPUs are so power hungry and for ASIC its to expensive eh I am disappointed at the market for AI solutions.
Chris Cristini
Sat Dec 02 2017, 05:36PM
So on the subject of wires my new job is at Whitney Blake building wires and learning about the trade so I may ask if I can have scraps. They work with Litz, twisted pair and many other types and gauges I am going to soak up so much overtime to get this project going again still stuck on servo selection for arms.
Conundrum
Wed Jan 17 2018, 07:27AM
Good luck!
If its any help I made some wire myself using the good old "DIY Litz" method.
For those not familiar with it you get 12 or more identical lengths of 30ga enameled wire and twist it under gentle tension with a slow rotation.
If done right the resulting flexible rope is highly durable and far superior to anything normally available.
The same method is used in a lot of headphone cables and requires thorough cleaning of each strand for a solid joint.

EDIT: Despite a minor setback I acquired several quite high end graphics cards.
Its possible to replace RAM on these if you are particularly skilled, but a side effect is the need for some sort of imaging system to identify quality of the resultant BGA joints.
Also relevant is that a lot of early ones were underclocked for heat reasons, this can be fixed trivially and with better cooling and replacement of the horrible thermal pads can be capable of 1/10 the performance of a Titan X at the cost of significantly shortening operational lifetime.

Chris Cristini
Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:21PM
Ah I'm stuck on a big project working with 30ga 30-40 strand holy shit but 60-80 hrs a week takes all my time. I will be back on it soon.

Good luck with BGA :)
Conundrum
Tue Jan 30 2018, 07:00AM
Yeah, its a steep learning curve but doable with the right kit.
Hint: if you are using BGA bigger than maybe 8 balls get the board made professionally. Not only will it avoid using dangerous chemicals but it can be tested before the chip(s) get fitted.
A good protoboard setup for short term use only is one with vias and tiny holes so the solder flows correctly.
Solder from the back one pin at a time and if you do it right the chip normally experiences far less stress than even a single conventional reflow cycle. I learned this tip while working with flaky graphics cards!
EDIT: Has some 63/37 balls here but they do need quite careful placing.
I believe that some early chips preplated the pads ONLY with 50um In so that the ball sticks initially, then reflow correctly melts it.
Core of the ball is different than the outside for a reason
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: