Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fully functional Bipedal social Robot.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Thu Sept 07 2017, 03:46PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Yes, it needs x86-64 running Ubuntu 16.06LTS
Ideally you want genuine Intel but it may work with a 64 bit AMD (ie my Phenom quad core) depending on how specific the system requirements are.

see Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Sept 08 2017, 03:38AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I think mood is fairly easy to implement also. Mood would be an algorithm that tracks the scoring of the input and averages over time, it can be built like a PID where it can take a long time to recover from a lot of negative input, or it can snap back and have overshoots causing mood swings, which could be hilarious.

The more negative the input average, say a downward trending score can cause the weight to shift to more and more negative replies, likewise with compliments.

We are all basically feedback driven systems, and how elastic we are to input somewhat determines our outwardly mood and how long we sustain that mood and how intense the mood is, e.g. stress, anger, depression, joy.

In thinking about it, if you had a mood function that is linear F(x) = mx +b, then the robot would be very even in responses,
but if you used a cubic function it could go into mania or deep depression, likewise with a step function it would be either hyper or dead....hahahah.

It's a funny thought, using control systems to profile a person's personality profile. Florida must have the highest concentration of "bang bang" type people.. hahahahah.
Chris Cristini
Mon Sept 11 2017, 11:53PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
Finally got 10 9g servo's, PWM half bridge controllers and an I2C servo controller on the way to finish its head and acquired some wiper motors from a parts car for some of the heavier duty stuff.

Next will be more 10KG and 20KG servo's as well as a Udoo x86 then I may order movidius or something that could substitute for a HNN.

LOL big bang types. It may be a fun part of this project programming AI but maybe set up boundaries and basic instruction to let it learn on its own?
Chris Cristini
Mon Sept 18 2017, 12:35AM
Well I have 10 servos stuffed in the head I can't wait for I2c controllers to come I want to see more than 4 at a time move so far that's all my battery can handle.

Here is the ears Link2
And the eye lids Link2

For now after its lips move by servo I can't move forward on the head until I figure out how to make eyes.
As for the arms and chest I am trying to figure out gear motors I think wiper motors are to much for the arms maybe legs.
Conundrum
Wed Sept 20 2017, 08:26PM
More power is better than not enough. Also wiper motors have lots of torque but may be worth adding current feedback in case of a stall/etc.
I looked into using a dual mode motor for small and large movements, ie a stepper mechanically in parallel with the wiper motor. When unpowered it can also be regenerative.
Chris Cristini
Thu Sept 21 2017, 02:06AM
Conundrum wrote ...

More power is better than not enough. Also wiper motors have lots of torque but may be worth adding current feedback in case of a stall/etc.
I looked into using a dual mode motor for small and large movements, ie a stepper mechanically in parallel with the wiper motor. When unpowered it can also be regenerative.

The whole regenerative idea is interesting? Also it arms will just move around really maybe lift a 16oz bottle or something the power will be more directed towards legs for mobility.

As for eyes I am thinking of using two pi zero Ws and the cameras with Open CV for distance measurement and object/face tracking.

Anyone have any experience with Open CV?
Conundrum
Thu Sept 21 2017, 06:46AM
I have a NoIR/W here which is probably going to get used for my superconductor annealing project.
Turns out that at >300C hot objects light up like a nova in the IR spectrum even with cheap plastic lenses.
Interesting note, if you want to improve image quality find an old SLR camera and retrofit the NoIR. The old glass lenses were very robust and quite efficient at gathering light.
Chris Cristini
Sat Oct 14 2017, 10:49PM
Well after a ton of research while waiting for Funds/Parts I think The PI Cluster hat Link2 would be good.
I am not sure if X5 RPI3/Cluster Hat and 20 RPI Zero W would be overkill or not enough and at 5A The Battery setup is going to be difficult its bad enough its uses so many servos.
Not to mention the Udoo X86 and HDD stuff its going to suck figuring out Heat dissipation. So much money will be wasted if this turns in to another failed project. tongue
Conundrum
Sun Oct 15 2017, 06:32AM
OK, thanks!
I have sourced (possibly) some faulty Zero W's with bad HDMI/Wifi/etc ICs so
should be able to run through a load and sort them for future use.
16GB card isn't that expensive and for my purposes read speed is more important.
Re. eyes. Maybe 3's would be better as more cores and higher clock speed.
BCMx87
Chris Cristini
Sun Oct 15 2017, 12:23PM
Conundrum wrote ...

OK, thanks!
I have sourced (possibly) some faulty Zero W's with bad HDMI/Wifi/etc ICs so
should be able to run through a load and sort them for future use.
16GB card isn't that expensive and for my purposes read speed is more important.
Re. eyes. Maybe 3's would be better as more cores and higher clock speed.
BCMx87

Hmm I will have to consider RPI3 X2 for the eyes after all more power is better when it comes to Computing this thing is going to have more RAM than my Asus ROG Laptop. amazed
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: