All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Interesting royer HF circuit

Move Thread LAN_403
Andrea87
Sat Nov 11 2006, 06:37PM Print
Andrea87 Registered Member #494 Joined: Thu Nov 09 2006, 02:42AM
Today I've tried to build up a little royer/zvs/mazzilli's circuit or what you want to call it, and taken it without any problem up to 1.4MHz (by now!). I've used as fets a couple of FDH27N50 from Fairchild, charged up by a little 270Ohm gate resistor, to keep the gates from having a slow charge. All the circuit have been built up on a very tiny circuit board, now I need to try with a lil more voltage on and with the right freq.

First pic: complete assembly, 4T coil with 10cm diameter, and 4.4nF cap bank rated at 4kV
Link2

Now just the tiny oscillator, notice the yellow caps and the samsung 1000µF low esr cap, needed to deliver enought fast burst of current to the gates or to the LC circuit
Link2

and at last the third pic, showing the circuitry, the two 12 volts zeners and the fast diodes (by now I'm using MUR240 ones). If anyone wants the pcb, I've designed it with eagle, I will post there the pcb file.
Link2

more news coming soon, and also a test of the circuit with the new tc secondary or... what about a mini RF royer TC?
Sat Nov 11 2006, 06:58PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Ahh, the good 'old mizzilli

I still don't fully understand it and likewise I have a hard time making it do what I want, but I have managed to push 1kw+ at 50khz. I still haven't figured out how to change its frequency, I tried changing every component (except the series inductor) to no avail. Oh well, it it works it works ;)

Looking at yours, I am going to say that you will need to rethink that primary before you try to get any decent amount of power out of it. The skin depth at 1mhz is tiny, and you will be running huge rms currents; not a good combination.

If you can get any decent amount sparks out of a TC with it, I would say that you have a considerable edge over th class-E crowd tongue
Colin 99
Sat Nov 11 2006, 08:10PM
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
Looks interesting!

I see that your heatsinks are very small. If I feed this circuit 36 volts from some batteries, My much larger heat sinks get warm. I'm using some 20N60 IGBTs also from fairchild.

You can change frequency by changing the value of the resonant capacitor across the flyback primary. I found increasing it from 0.68uF to 1.36uF made a big difference in output. Also adding a capacitor across the battery terminal makes a difference too, I used 2uF polypropylene, I haven't tried an electrolytic yet, I happened to have the 2uF handy.

You L1 inductor might saturate considering that it's a toroid and this circuit can pull 10 amps.
I used an air inductor (lots of wire)

Shaun
Andrea87
Sat Nov 11 2006, 08:53PM
Andrea87 Registered Member #494 Joined: Thu Nov 09 2006, 02:42AM
... wrote ...

Ahh, the good 'old mizzilli

I still don't fully understand it and likewise I have a hard time making it do what I want, but I have managed to push 1kw+ at 50khz. I still haven't figured out how to change its frequency, I tried changing every component (except the series inductor) to no avail. Oh well, it it works it works ;)

Looking at yours, I am going to say that you will need to rethink that primary before you try to get any decent amount of power out of it. The skin depth at 1mhz is tiny, and you will be running huge rms currents; not a good combination.

If you can get any decent amount sparks out of a TC with it, I would say that you have a considerable edge over th class-E crowd tongue

That circuit is tremendous, I've made too an inverter for my indheat projects that were able to put out over 1kW of power... looks pretty good also considering its cost.

the frequency is given by the primary LC circuit, let's say the working inductor and the big cap / mmc. lower the cap or the inductor and you'll get a higher freq.

that primary is just for test, next ones will be made from good copper tubing (still need to find it angry ) and some serious mmc and well cooled fets.

Atm I've wound a very little secondary with 0.25mm wire, about 440 turns on a 35mm carton + tape pipe, for about 2.4MHz of fres... let's see tomorrow what I can do :D

edit: here is the pcb

these are two images, 1st is the setup I've used, second the board, wich is 37x43mm

Link2

Link2

and at the end the cadsoft eagle file:

Link2 (.brd inside rar file, 3kb)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: