Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Toro, toro, toroids

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Thu Nov 09 2006, 03:59PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Has anyone here actually tried to spin a toroid in a machine shop on their own? I figure one would have to make a positive and negative mold with a router and then use a machine to spin and press a sheet of aluminum. (I am guessing on this).

If anyone has tried this how were your results?
Steve Conner
Thu Nov 09 2006, 04:11PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I just bought mine from John Freau. His website gives pictures of the process he uses to make them: Link2
Avalanche
Thu Nov 09 2006, 04:17PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've tried to spin some aluminium just to see if it could work for a small toroid, but it was hopeless. I thought i'd better stop before I wrecked the lathe. In the end I just turned up a solid one from some thick plate, but that wasn't really a toroid.

I can't understand how it can work so accurately!

IamSmooth
Thu Nov 09 2006, 05:27PM
I've seen some metal shops use a combination of spinning discs with the object on a rotating axis. I like doing things myself, but this seems to require some dedicated machine shop equipment to do it right.
Marko
Thu Nov 09 2006, 07:20PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I *could* try casting a small toroid or sphere out of solid aluminium but that would be too much work. It's simpler to tape a plastic object with some alu tape ant it still looks nice...
Terry Fritz
Thu Nov 09 2006, 11:26PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I have some of John's videos where he is making toroids. It looks really hard!!! He has a lot of special fixtures and stuff and then he "fights and wrestles" the metal to shape. It looks like it could be fairly dangerous too... Before trying, you would definitely want to get John's tapes on this!!!

You may want to consider the bleeding edge "PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration" thread... I am very happy with that!!!

Link2

The spheres I used might be a little too big since mine easily hold in 300kV!!! But the terminal capacitance is nice and high. I have had no problems at all with it. Those old corrugated aluminum toroids are going to the trash now!! amazed The new one can tune and hold off as needed for all my coils wink

Cheers,

Terry
HV Enthusiast
Fri Nov 10 2006, 01:06PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Spinning aluminum is a difficult skill and basically an artform. It requires a huge initial investment in equipment, fixtures, tooling, etc... and the learning curve is steep - probably take several years to perfect the technique.
IamSmooth
Fri Nov 10 2006, 01:13PM
I've looked into the cost of lathes and I've perused through various metal spinning links. You are right about the skill level and investment cost. I can only guess that those who spin the toroids already had the equipment for other reasons.
Tesladownunder
Sat Nov 11 2006, 12:45PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Terry Fritz wrote ...

...You may want to consider the bleeding edge "PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration" thread... I am very happy with that!!!
Terry, have you considered other sphere numbers other than 4? Strikes me that 3 is easier and perhaps 8 (octopseudotoroid) is neater. Depends if you have the balls or not confused

Peter
Terry Fritz
Sat Nov 11 2006, 08:29PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Terry, have you considered other sphere numbers other than 4?

I sort of feel now that 8 inch in diameter might be a bit too big. They stand off very high voltage and it is hard to get normal breakout at typical voltages and power levels. Maybe 6 inch would be a better choice for the "next wild guess" cheesey In my case, I always use breakout points anyway, so not big deal.

I think three balls might work but the capacitance will not be as great. 6 balls might give almost "toroid like" field distribution. The balls can also be moved inward and outward to change tuning and the fields. The more they stick out, perhaps the more likely they are to breakout. I think one would have to sort of decide how "big" you want it and fill that space with a "nice number" of balls. I don't have any "rules" there...

Of course, one could start with three and simply add more if needed. Only the center mount and number of rods would change which could be made very flexible with some thought.

I think I will use ball terminals from now on. I am going to throw away the old corrugated aluminum ones. They are "better" than expensive spun terminals since they are so highly resistant to damage and trivial to repair in any case. I never use the $400 big spun terminal since I don't want to scratch it (I had better sell it before it becomes obsolete wink). The tuning and excellent capacitance and voltage standoff of the ball terminals make them an obvious choice.

On the bad side. They are very new and things like best ball size, number of balls to use, etc. is pretty much a pure guess. Calculating the capacitance is also unknown other than they are sort of close to a toroid of the same dimension (I really have not checked that actually...) But there ability to "tune" sort of makes up for that.

So far I love the ball terminal!!

Cheers,

Terry

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: