Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Factors affecting high voltage arc size

Move Thread LAN_403
Kiwihvguy
Sun Aug 07 2016, 03:41AM Print
Kiwihvguy Registered Member #3395 Joined: Thu Nov 04 2010, 08:42AM
Hi all,

I have accumulated many MOTs over the last few years and have decided to use most of them to construct a large 3 phase MOT stack (bigger than any I've seen on the internet) with a 6 pulse rectifier, leaving a few special MOTs for other stuff like a VTTC or likewise. Fortunately the university I'm studying at has a high voltage laboratory with a 240V 125A 3 phase supply (240V phase to neutral, 415V phase-phase in New Zealand), which should be plenty provided the whole MOT stack will have some form of inductive ballasting.

Ultimately I'm aiming to create the biggest arc size possible for a given power on the input; which will determine what series-parallel or all-parallel arrangement I will connect the MOTs in, bearing in mind MOTs hate being connected in series! However I'm having a little difficulty joining the dots from my own experience experimenting with 2, 3, 4, and 6 MOT stacks in different series/parallel arrangements with series resonance capacitors. There aren't many scholarly articles that have direct research on this question, although I was able to access one through Google Scholar titled 'The other electrical hazard: electric arc blast burns' which had some relevant content.

However, I found that both increasing the voltage and increasing the current allow the arc to be drawn out further. Obviously once the arc has been initiated, the voltage across the arc is less because the path of ionised gas is much more conductive than air that hasn't electrically broken down. Then, it would seem that as the arc is drawn out, increasing in length, the voltage across the arc increases until the power supply no longer supplies enough voltage and then it extinguishes.

But regarding the current, the more current there is in the arc, it tends to be fatter and the plasma discharge path appears to larger in cross-sectional area. This could suggest the resistance would be lower as the surface area is greater, as R = rho*(length/area) and the arc can be modelled as a near-purely resistive load according to the aforementioned article.

Consider this scenario to see the effect of current on the arc: 2 HV PSUs, both 20kVAC out at 50Hz, one is current limited to 1mA and the other is capable of providing 5A (hypotethical!). The current limited one will exhibit sparking when the arc breaks down but will not be able to be drawn out because there isn't enough current to generate a hot plasma pathway. The other 5A PSU will initiate the arc by breaking down the air, but the much hotter plasma path will allow it to be drawn out much, much further.

The question: what is the ratio of importance between voltage and current in the context of a MOT stack that could supply either 5.2kVDC or 10.4kVDC after 6 pulse rectifier? Bearing in mind the higher 10.4kVDC due to the series arrangements means the output current of the whole MOT stack will be less.

Cheers

5.2kVDC is from Vdc = (3*sqrt(3)*sqrt(2)*Average Vrms from MOT)/Pi
= (3*sqrt(3)*sqrt(2)*2200)/Pi = 5199

Sulaiman
Sun Aug 07 2016, 11:00AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
MOTs scare me so this is based on other experiences;

unlike single-phase a.c., don't forget that the output is d.c.
so inductive output ballast for short-circuit protection will not work
(but MOTs are internally ballasted/flux-shunted/current-limited)
and arcs are different

how will you stop the updraft of air due to the heat of the arc blowing out the arc ?
Blackcurrant
Sun Aug 07 2016, 08:02PM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
Hi,
I think you will get a slightly longer arc with more voltage, as if everything else is the same you will get more power loss in the electronics (heating) with higher current lower voltage set up. I would think arc length will be a function of the power in the arc. Also the negative electrode on your set up is going to get hotter than the positive.
Kiwihvguy
Mon Aug 08 2016, 02:51AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

unlike single-phase a.c., don't forget that the output is d.c.
so inductive output ballast for short-circuit protection will not work
(but MOTs are internally ballasted/flux-shunted/current-limited)
and arcs are different

how will you stop the updraft of air due to the heat of the arc blowing out the arc ?

Thanks for the reminder, yes I'm aware the output is DC from the 6 pulser so any inductive ballast wouldn't work there.
What I meant to say was I would place an inductive ballast in series with each phase to each set of MOTs - so this in on the mains primary side not the rectified high voltage side.

Can't do a whole lot about the updraft, but I haven't experienced an updraft forceful enough to blow out the arc...
Mads Barnkob
Mon Aug 08 2016, 06:05AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Remember that you can not just infinitely add MOTs secondaries in series for higher voltage. One end of the secondary is tied to the core and at some point you can no longer uphold the insulation from winding to core.

Here is a example of what has to be done: Link2
Kiwihvguy
Wed Aug 10 2016, 01:35AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Remember that you can not just infinitely add MOTs secondaries in series for higher voltage. One end of the secondary is tied to the core and at some point you can no longer uphold the insulation from winding to core.

Here is a example of what has to be done: Link2

Thanks for link Mads, I have no intention of purposefully series 10s of MOTs. I'm well aware that even a bank of 2 in series can cause one to fail if you're unlucky, which I what I experienced last year. I wouldn't put 8 MOTs in series, but rather have 4 pairs, where the 2 MOTs in each pair are in series. Then paralleling those 4 pairs would yield about 4.5kV.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: