All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oriental Motor / Vexta stepper motor and driver

Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Wed Apr 27 2016, 07:25AM Print
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hi All

I salvaged a great deal of stepper motors, driver boards and power supplies from some machines, in hope of reusing it in building CNC machines.

As both the driver board and motor are proprietary products made for a specific customer, Oriental Motor does not release any documentation on these parts. There is also no documentation on their Vexta ICs, only through contract and disclosure deals.

I have the driver board C7576-004 with Vexta IC "EIC0202" and Vexta stepper motor 2-phase 1.8 degree/step DC 3A 1.5Ohm A5109-9412K

As I have the original power supply, motor and driver board I am sure that everything is connected correctly.

The input connector CN1 on the driver board has 5 opto ICs that are all the same type and facing the same way, this leads me to think they are all inputs. The original signal cable only used 5 wires, the connector has a common GND on the brown wire.

The only reaction I could get from the motor was to pulse the PC5 input on the orange wire, but the motor would turn jumpingly back and forth, vibrate heavily or just purr at me, depending on frequency.

I tried pulling either of the other inputs high to see if it was direction, all windings off or other of the inputs seen in this manual from page 21 on a newer driver from same company: Link2

From what I understand from the timing charts, I only need direction set and a pulse train sent to the driver, a number of pulses for each step to take and frequency of pulses decides the speed.

Maybe there really is no way to test it in this crude way with just a signal generator or what action should I take from here?

9412k 044
Blackcurrant
Wed Apr 27 2016, 10:19AM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
On the 5 wires I would think there will be a common 0v and 4 control lines.

try a MM to see if you can see the 220ohm on the inputs
hen918
Wed Apr 27 2016, 05:07PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Is this a complete driver or just an amplifier? It is possible that the inputs just correspond with the outputs, and you would have to pulse them sequentially to get the motor to rotate.
Also, some drivers use one input for step forwards and one for step backwards rather than having one step input and a direction change.
Sulaiman
Wed Apr 27 2016, 06:58PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
The opto's are TLP181BL , common type, current transfer ratio 200 to 600 %

I see no resistors in series with the inputs, so you need to have external current limiting resistors,
typical input current is 10 mA, c1.2 V across the led.

If you have been 'testing' the inputs there is a good chance that you have killed the leds,
they will still 'look' like a led looking at current vs voltage, but the opto may be dead.
A 'trick' is to short the output pins with a small (insulated) flat screwdriver blade,
this simulates the output transistor being 'turned on' by the led.
Opto's fail so frequently that at work we often blanket swap optos when we service equipment,
(cheaper than a warranty claim)

Most PLC etc. give 24 V signals so 2.2 kOhm 0.5 W is a common input series resistor.
(if very 'noisy' environment and/or long control cable runs,
I would connect a 1N4148 or similar in inverse parallel with the opto' input led)
(pcbs with many opto' inputs often use 0.25 W resistors, which slowly 'cook' the pcb or cause 'dry' joints)
Interface to a microcontroller as if it is a led.

I don't often do stepper drives but signals that come to mind are;

E-Stop = equivalent to Enable but physical normally closed switches in series for physical interlocks etc.
Enable = allow other signals to control outputs
Direction
Pulses (since you did not use series resistors operation would be 'sensitive'
Hi/Lo torque (current)
pulses/step (your driver pcb appears to have a separate jumper)
Blackcurrant
Wed Apr 27 2016, 09:16PM
I bet the brown wire is the +ve supply for them
then you would switch the others to ground via a current limit resister to drive the leds in the opto
just like in the data sheet you linked to. doh!
on the plus side they would be easy to replace if dead
Mads Barnkob
Wed Apr 27 2016, 09:38PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
You are right, I mistook the common for being GND, it is the common for all anodes of the 5 optos.

There are no resistors on the board and inputs measure 5MOhm to common pin.

These driver boards are meant to be used with a controller between it and the PLC, so PLC orders run to controller and controller sends a pulse train to driver.

I used a 4.5VDC wall-wart for testing the inputs, but it was reversed polarity due to the above. If I did damage the driver, luckily I got more :)

However interesting is that I got it to run, with heavy oscillations, but yet only from inputting pulses from signal generator on orange wire, PC5. So I am not so sure about there being a enable or e-stop, unless its a high signal, which makes no sense in terms of safety.

Sulaiman wrote ...

Pulses (since you did not use series resistors operation would be 'sensitive'

I first saw your replies and this after testing what is in the video.

Enjoy the torment

Blackcurrant
Wed Apr 27 2016, 11:04PM
some ideas

CW pulse
CCW pulse
AWO output current off (motor spin free?) you could find this one easy or it may be the missing wire one from the header
Step angle switching
brake

or

Pulse sig
Direction
AWO
Step angle
Current cutback
Matthew
Wed Dec 20 2017, 08:00AM
Matthew Registered Member #61991 Joined: Sun Dec 10 2017, 07:21AM
Hey Mads Barnkob i know this reply is a while after the post but i was wanting to know if u have worked out how to run this. if not i have access to the service manual and circuit diagrams of the machine that these parts came out of as i work with the machines for a living. if Im not mistaken the parts in the photos are from a butchery auto wrapper. I am willing to send you the documentation if you require it, just let me know if you need it and i can send it through to you

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: