Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC Capacitor Charging

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Wed Mar 23 2016, 01:27PM Print
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Hi guys. I normally use a 2kW variac for bringing the DC cap up to full charge and then run the coil through the variac. I am looking to remove the variac from the equation and just run it on 120v mains. Problem is the initial current draw is so sudden and high when turning on power that it trips the breaker (>20A). So I want to bring the voltage up slowly until the DC caps are charged and then switch over to the main line before operating the coil. Rather than try re-invent the wheel, was wondering if anyone has come up with a suitable method?

It's a portable demo coil, and I am trying to keep the control console small and portable too, hence the need to get rid of the heavy and bulky variac.
dexter
Wed Mar 23 2016, 01:52PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
cheapest solution series resistor + relay to short it after a while or after the the cap voltage reaches a certain value
loneoceans
Wed Mar 23 2016, 05:59PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Hi guys. I normally use a 2kW variac for bringing the DC cap up to full charge and then run the coil through the variac. I am looking to remove the variac from the equation and just run it on 120v mains. Problem is the initial current draw is so sudden and high when turning on power that it trips the breaker (>20A). So I want to bring the voltage up slowly until the DC caps are charged and then switch over to the main line before operating the coil. Rather than try re-invent the wheel, was wondering if anyone has come up with a suitable method?

It's a portable demo coil, and I am trying to keep the control console small and portable too, hence the need to get rid of the heavy and bulky variac.

Yep one easy way is to use a pre-charge resistor as dextor suggested.

In fact, this was the very reason why I developed this board: Link2 which performs both pre-charge and auto discharge, and adds some additional features like very basic in-built EMI filtering and over-temp cut-out.
Hydron
Wed Mar 23 2016, 10:14PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
if you want to replicate the voltage control capabilities of the variac without the weight, then you could build a fairly simple phase angle controlled rectifier with a couple of SCRs and a control circuit. Nice and small, just replaces your existing rectifier.
Graham Armitage
Thu Mar 24 2016, 12:27PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Cool range of ideas. I will probably start simple and see how it goes.
zzz_julian_zzz
Sun Mar 27 2016, 11:49PM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
Hi Graham,

If I may add..
I use capacitor (reactance) to charge capacitors with no problems..

From one of the AC leg mains, I do series a capacitor 10-20 uf 600v non-polar (PP) capacitor. (before, I used this capacitor as a bypass capacitor in my bridge)

then a relay will bypass it when voltage is high enough to not pull such current that trips the breaker.

I used this method to charge 6000 uf @ 630vdc voltage doubler - filter cap of my medium sized drsstc) and it also works well with my 20000 uf QCW drsstc..
before, I did use resistors too but I don't like the way it heats up.. :)

You can also try series a incandescent lamp in one of the two AC legs.. I haven't tried this, but theoretically, it will lit bright at first (since the capacitor is acting as short when at ~0v) then slowly dim as the impedance of the capacitor getting bigger - at the dimmest, it indicates the capacitor is already not consuming current/ then it is charged.

of course let's don't forget the rectifier after the charger before entering the lytics.
Thanks!

Graham Armitage
Tue Mar 29 2016, 01:03PM
Thanks Julian, I had thought about the incandescent light too - also a good visual indicator. Had not considered the capacitor option though. I like that too. I have some lying around and will give that a try.
loneoceans
Tue Mar 29 2016, 06:08PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Thanks Julian, I had thought about the incandescent light too - also a good visual indicator. Had not considered the capacitor option though. I like that too. I have some lying around and will give that a try.

The lightbulb is a good resistor and provides a great way to know if the bank is done charging or not. Likewise for discharging the capacitor bank, but do be careful of the bulb voltage and do not exceed it. In my DRSSTC 3 you can see that I used a light-bulb as a precharge resistor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loneoceans/13094456193/in/album-72157640311992514/

In my newer precharge board Link2 I'm just using a resistor since it isn't fragile like a bulb.

25563052900 Bf484a8188

I'm also using carbon composition resistors which are specifically designed to handle low duty cycle energy dumps like these, and also added some features on the board since they were some extra features I wanted. :)
Graham Armitage
Wed Mar 30 2016, 02:54AM
Never noticed the light bulb in that photo before. It is a simple solution. I like it. Do you have a relay to switch to mains when voltage has leveled out?
zzz_julian_zzz
Wed Mar 30 2016, 10:33AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
You're welcome Graham!

Loneocean is correct, light bulb is fragile, if you're thinking "resistive" charging, then use resistor, if "reactive" charging then go to capacitor instead of inductor since larger reactance is easier to achieve using C vs L. remember that Xl goes proportionally with L @ given freq ... Xl=2PifL, so for bigger Xl, you need large L

If you google, voltage line dropper you would see capacitors are usual approach, low resistive element, low ESR, low heating..

And yes, there should be a bypass relay to direct the caps to the mains.. you don't want any resistance from the supply coming to your beast ;)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: