All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mystery Amazon parcel

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Tue Mar 01 2016, 05:50AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi, has anyone on here received a mystery box with no return address containing one of the following items:

HV module with wire ends

A book about the occupation.

I discovered that my address on Amazon was wrong despite me changing it back not once but twice.
It would have been somewhere in the US, other than that I can't be sure.

thanks!
Finn Hammer
Tue Mar 01 2016, 07:08AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
The sad remains of the travelling junkbox?

Chris_Knight
Tue Mar 01 2016, 02:23PM
Chris_Knight Registered Member #58280 Joined: Sat Jan 09 2016, 06:48AM
I read about that, and I think my friend actually did the junkbox maybe 5 years ago? What happened to it?
Conundrum
Tue Mar 01 2016, 04:19PM
No, it was stuff I purchased on Amazon.

I never heard what happened but apparently the box got partially emptied then their parent got to it before he could repack and send it out. Along with most if not all of the valuable contents.
Lesson learned, don't keep valuable stuff lying around without basic security!
Chris_Knight
Wed Mar 02 2016, 02:29AM
Chris_Knight Registered Member #58280 Joined: Sat Jan 09 2016, 06:48AM
Found a 2010 era thread. Huh, wonder what happened to the UK and the Euro box. I think that the US box never really recovered, maybe Chris still has all those parts at his house.

"The US box has evidently been completely lost. Plasma Lover posted to the old thread, here, explaining that his parents had thrown away most of the box's contents. He apparently still has a few items, including the log book, but has so far refused to communicate any further with me about returning any of the contents. You're all welcome to attempt to contact him, here: . If any of you know any alternate methods of contacting him, please ask him to get in touch with me. At the very least, I'd like to get the log book returned.

At any rate, the new US box is now pretty much loss-proof, and unlimited in size. If we can bulk up its contents a bit more, it should prove even more valuable to the community than the last ill-fated box. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd like to get similar boxes going in each major geographical region, as well as a freebie list for people who'd rather donate or swap directly.

As for the other two, we know Nicko has the UK box safe and sound. The EU box is with Kizmo, and we're hoping that one can get moving again soon. It'll be up to the participants in those regions to decide if the boxes should continue being passed around, or if a centralized option might work better. -Chris Russell
"
Conundrum
Sat Mar 19 2016, 03:21PM
Lessons learned:
1) decentralized box
2) backup log book(s), ideally in the cloud
3) if someone wants something, they have to pay at least a percentage of the postage.
4) upload pictures of stuff you have to trade so people can decide what state it is in, etc.
Hon1nbo
Tue Mar 29 2016, 10:10AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
I recently received a mysterious Amazon parcel with an HV DC-DC converter inside... never ordered it, no "from" besides Amazon warehouse.

Came in about a month ago. Arrived at my parents house (my old address, which did happen to be a Junk Box destination when this group had one).

Cheers,

-Jim

P.S: Far from the only mysterious package I received. One was about WWII refugees, and I have now gotten multiple mysterious parts ranging from neutron scintillators to this HV DC-DC unit).
Patrick
Tue Mar 29 2016, 04:59PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Watch out, this doesn't sound right. Are they coming from Amazon ? or just in a relabeled box ?

ill give you an example. One of the companies which helps me fabricate drones for minimal cost, reported their mail had been going missing for 2 years. well one day 40,000 US$ was in their mail box. which they reported to the police. Then 8 months later 2 pounds of cocaine was in the mail box, which they reported.

It appears someone was using their business address for a criminal enterprise for a very long time, and gotten away with it.

So, in the US they typically intercept contraband, then track it, and arrest the party who attempts the pick up. I'm not sure how it works in other countries. But if some mysterious person sends you materials or devices that are forbidden in your country, you might get screwed for something your not apart of.

unless this is a previous supplier of yours whos confused, id be getting this figured out if I were you.
Conundrum
Tue Mar 29 2016, 06:23PM
Yeah, mystery solved. So sorry for the confusion, appear that there was an anomaly which has now been resolved.

Did the DC-DC module work BTW?

Also PM
Hon1nbo
Sun Apr 03 2016, 02:09AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
I recently found the sender of the scintillator (was a ham friend who worked for the vendor and heard I wanted to build a new decay based number generator).
Book is still unknown,.

Never plugged in the DC DC converter and no nothing about it. Did have a gift notice, but no name or account number.

Edit: all resolved. Missed the PM notification to affected parties.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: