All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Detector iPhone

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Bjørn
Sat Feb 27 2016, 05:25PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Dragon64 wrote ...

Bjørn wrote ...

Americium-241 decay into neptunium-237 and so on fast enough that samples from used smoke detectors can have have 10-20% non americium content. All my samples emit beta in addition to alpha and gamma.

Assuming these sources mostly americium to begin with and that they are no older than 20 years, wouldn't it be closer to ~3%? non americium content? (I don't know the time it takes for americium to go from being coated on those small discs to when they go out for sale)
Yes, looks like I added a zero. What I am getting at is that depending on the detector the radiation detected my not be from americium at all since a pure sample is not pure for long.
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 27 2016, 08:41PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Am-241 data sheet attached as pdf
]am-241.pdf[/file]
Conundrum
Mon Feb 29 2016, 05:23AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Thanks!
Also there is a bit of controversy concerning one of my ideas, seems someone may possibly have found it on Hackaday after all but they either couldn't get it to work (see later threads) or as someone mentioned they might have discovered a related effect independently.

However its nice to see one of my observations proven feasible at last, this at least proves that I might have been on the right track all those years ago.

(edit:)
Wolfram
Tue Mar 01 2016, 07:40AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Thanks!
Also there is a bit of controversy concerning one of my ideas, seems someone may possibly have found it on Hackaday then found that claiming as their own work was easier than trying to reference a forum.
However its nice to see one of my theories proven at last, despite overwhelming odds. smile

What is your theory and do you have a link to where you posted it?

The thesis you talk about never mentions pyrolytic graphite nor radiation windows.

Accusing a master thesis of plagiarizing your work is a pretty serious accusation.
Conundrum
Tue Mar 01 2016, 04:22PM
Link2

Essentially the main difference between the two is the thickness.
I found that even a relatively thick (<0.2mm) pyrolytic graphite sheet worked, way back in 2009-10 one very cold January.
As pyrolytic graphite is covalently bonded graphene and in fact one can be made from the other as Andre Geim discovered recently the properties are similar.

See posts on 4HV here Link2

Link2

also Link2,d.d2s
Also worth mentioning, comparing the two basically identical cameras (acquired a second one just to do this test) revealed that the PG window was at least double the alpha transparency of the mica+silver and two different amplitudes of signal were being seen on the 'scope trace as expected for 241Am.

I'm not sure why it worked well with one sample and not as well with others, still have to try the same experiment with a bigger sensor and samples from a more consistent source.
Its possible that the difference is the proportion of covalent bonding, how would I check this?

Link2

Proud Mary
Tue Mar 01 2016, 10:01PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
André, I thought you my find this paper interesting: Using CMOS Sensors in a Cellphone for Gamma Detection Link2
Conundrum
Wed Mar 02 2016, 06:06AM
Thanks!
I also did use my phone for a while when trying to get pictures of X-ray film and noticed on the playback quite a few dots resembling something like a colored snowstorm.
Maybe 2-5 per second but see my Youtube video conundrum2009

Whats really sad is that back in 2012 I was trying to get a paper together but a certain magazine which shall remain nameless wouldn't even consider it for publication because it was "too esoteric".
this could have provided concrete proof that I discovered the effect years before, never mind.

Maybe I can self publish? now the technology has moved on a bit single chip photomultipliers are available.
Uspring
Wed Mar 02 2016, 11:11AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Its possible that the difference is the proportion of covalent bonding, how would I check this?
Stopping power (dE/dx) for alphas is pretty much proportional to electron density and that is more or less proportional to mass density. My guess is, that you look for materials, that are opaque for light for small thicknesses.

Wolfram
Thu Mar 03 2016, 09:40AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Link2

Essentially the main difference between the two is the thickness.
I found that even a relatively thick (<0.2mm) pyrolytic graphite sheet worked, way back in 2009-10 one very cold January.
As pyrolytic graphite is covalently bonded graphene and in fact one can be made from the other as Andre Geim discovered recently the properties are similar.

See posts on 4HV here Link2

Link2

also Link2,d.d2s
Also worth mentioning, comparing the two basically identical cameras (acquired a second one just to do this test) revealed that the PG window was at least double the alpha transparency of the mica+silver and two different amplitudes of signal were being seen on the 'scope trace as expected for 241Am.

I'm not sure why it worked well with one sample and not as well with others, still have to try the same experiment with a bigger sensor and samples from a more consistent source.

Link2

What is your "theory"? I read through all of the pages you linked and the links back to 4hv from hackaday. You never actually give a clear theory or even a hypothesis. The common theme seems to be that pyrolytic graphite can be used as an alpha window. This is not a new discovery, this is basic radiation physics, and we have equations and models to calculate the attenuation for a given thickness of a given material.

If pyrolytic graphite attenuates alphas to a smaller degree than the formulas and models predict, then it's an actual discovery. This should be pretty easy to measure with a mica window geiger tube and a smoke detector source, by for example comparing the attenuation of pyrolytic graphite and regular graphite of the same density (g/cm^2). If there turns out to be a major difference then you can do a more thorough experiment to exclude possible sources of error.

Again, the thesis you linked uses graphene as an ion detector, which is something completely different.

By the way, be careful with the use of the word theory in the context of science. A theory includes a hypothesis to explain an observation, and evidence to excude other hypotheses. What you have can be called an observation.
Conundrum
Thu Mar 03 2016, 05:01PM
Will do.
I actually did notice that here Link2 is a sensor with very similar characteristics.
Its actually based on a CsI scintillator and a low cross section window likely Al or Be.

Also relevant, on later analysis it suggests a factor I had not considered namely the degree of covalent bonding between the graphene sheets.
As this is quite difficult to measure it could explain some of the differences between my results and others; as PM has mentioned there is also the factor of damage to the CCD/CMOS chip(s).

I propose a simple experiment to test this: namely obtain 10mm2 samples of pyrolytic graphite and regular graphite such as a piece of purchased motor brush then sand them down to precisely the same thickness as mentioned in my original post using a micrometer to check each sample.
Then apply silver using a mask to the centre of side 1 and a corner each on side 2, and perform a measurement of resistance, this then allows me to measure this currently unknown factor.
As the silver should not affect anything else apart from causing a drop in sensitivity "head on", this should then simplify future tests.

This also suggests another more interesting possibility, apply DC or AC current to see what that does to the transparency effect.

This does also prove a valid point, doing research on a shoestring is unwise if you don't have the proper facilities.
A scope last calibrated in 1992 and a camera originally designed for car reversing isn't the best starting point.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: