Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Toshiba D-138B(s) X-Ray Tubes: Filament Voltage and Wehnelt Bias

Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Fri Jan 08 2016, 10:00AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Here's a whole bunch of new radiographs!

Link2
hboy007
Sun Jan 17 2016, 11:46AM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Awesome pictures, Sigurthr!

I'll have to put a microfocus tube on my wishlist to inspect those BGA chips and SeaRay connectors. Link2
Sigurthr
Fri Jan 29 2016, 12:59AM
I added a -140V Wehnelt Bias supply on to the x-ray machine today. I am quite surprised it did not aim the resulting x-ray beam any better. My tube's beam does not exit at the marked location, but rather far off in two axes. Adding the Wehnelt bias did double the x-ray flux though which is pretty nice! I can cut exposure times in half now.

I didn't do a full photographic setup to ensure a good radiograph, only a quick bare-bones setup to verify performance and check beam steering. You can see the bottom of the image has much better exposure, this is where the beam is actually aiming, despite the anode pointing above 45deg higher than this.
Link2

In addition to the -45deg (rotational axis), the beam is also offset by about 25deg towards the cathode end (it should be 90deg to the axis of the tube).

Anyone have some insight as to the strange beam aiming? I'm wondering if this tube was maybe a factory second hence the strange beam aiming.
klugesmith
Fri Jan 29 2016, 09:48PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
You're way ahead of me in actual radiography.

Not sure if your beam-direction issue is just about normal geometric foreshortening.
The e-beam target area is not a round spot. It's extended in one direction to reduce heating power density. Goal is equally small height and width when viewed at 90 degrees from tube axis.
Here I played with a drawing program instead of finding an illustration on the Internet.

1454102967 2099 FT174507 Coolidge1

I think the target region is a lambertian emitter of X-rays, after accounting for self-shielding by anode. So the maximum X-ray intensity is in a direction offset toward the cathode, but the image focus is not as good over there.

How about making a pinhole [in Pb metal] camera image of your x-ray emitter size and shape? Stella (pbuh) discussed that here many years ago.

Please show us more about your electrical configuration. I was going to say that the bias for Wehnelt cylinder (often labeled Focus or Grid terminal) does not need a third power supply. A plain resistor can do the job, or a shunt regulator. How 'bout a 0A2 or 0D3 cold cathode VR tube? smile
1454103843 2099 FT174507 Coolidge2
In fixed-current systems, a resistor also reduces the HV current sensitivity to filament voltage
Sigurthr
Fri Jan 29 2016, 11:51PM
Thanks Klugesmith! I drew up a schematic and a diagram showing the beam shape. Hopefully it is understandable, I'm not trained in nor do I have 3D software, which would really have made this a clearer visually.

QCjJ3RH

FKbIFfA

How does one determine the resistance needed for a bias resistor? Obviously R = Vbias/I, do I assume I = anode current?

Those VR tubes look awesome, but I don't see any in quick googling that work down to 1mA, most are rated 5mA, and my HV supply is only 3mA max from my calculations. I haven't been able to directly measure the current due to RF interference from the inverter. Could a Zener diode be used instead?
Sigurthr
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:45AM
Well, I tried tonight to use the resistive bias method and got mixed results. I didn't bother doing a radiographic setup, but instead just used my ion chamber and scope to observe results. With a 68k bias resistor the x-ray flux output was comparable to having the Wehnelt electrode tied to filament. Probing across the 68k resistor yielded a surprising 40V according to my scope, but it was noisy with a ton of AC coupled on to it. I tried using some capacitance to shunt the ac but had no luck. I know from when scoping the divided HV that any ac remaining ruins any integrity the measurement might have had, so that 40V number is pretty much meaningless. I tried using different resistance from 10R to 18k but got nonsense numbers each time. The closest I came to a believable number was 2.5mA, but I think it was just a fluke because there was superimposed ac on all measurements. Sigh, an analog current meter would solve all of this.

Likewise, a 10sec burn destroyed a 1W 68k resistor, and if it really was only 40V across that would have been 0.6mA, something like 25mW of power - no where near enough. If we assume 1W of dissipation (which we know was met or exceeded) that yields about 3mA, which seems more reasonable given the input power and measured HV voltage.

I've placed orders for a few 5W 68k ceramic power resistors and also a few 150V 5W zener diodes. I was going to get a VR tube but couldn't find any that worked at <5mA with a >100V regulation. I found some 85V VR tubes which worked down to 1mA, but they were pricey and I would need sockets and a lot of space to mount them. The zeners have a graph in the datasheet showing their regulation down to 100uA, and are rated for a maximum current of 30mA, so they should work well. I'll give both the resistor and zener tries when they arrive, including an actual radiographic test. I expect the zener to work best as the voltage would be independent of the current, and the wasted energy is 50% less than with the resistor.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: