Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Can I drive a LOPT (flyback) With this ?

Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Wed Oct 14 2015, 05:15AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Link2 I have a working version and have been doing some googling for another project im working on. I have never powered a flyback with a half-bridge set up. How many primary turns on flyback would i be looking at ? Probably have to disable the interrupter and run it in CW mode(120v wall power, i do not own a variac).

Lastly I was reading not to long ago someone built a staccato interrupter fr this tesla coil and the sword sparks were amazing anyone have a link ?
GrantX
Wed Oct 14 2015, 06:48AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
The half bridge will work fine, but you will need to modify the circuit. The antenna picks up the oscillations from the resonator and feeds the signal into the input of the GDT driver ICs. You don't want to drive a flyback at its resonant frequency, since the voltage rise across the open-circuit secondary will nuke the insulation (plus you would need a ferrite CT over the ground lead from the secondary anyway, an antenna isn't really suitable for a ferrite-core transformer).

You will want to remove the antenna and 74HC14 IC, and replace the whole mess with some kind of local oscillator. The oscillator will provide a "clock signal" to the input of the driver ICs and will be responsible for controlling the frequency of the half-bridge inverter. The best frequency will vary depending on the transformer, so it's usually good to be able to adjust the frequency with a pot. One important thing is that the oscillator should be operating at a 50% duty cycle, in order to avoid saturating the GDT. Something like the SG3525 could be suitable, but there's probably far better choices out there (I can't remember if it's capable of an exact 50% duty cycle).

You can disable the interrupter if you wanted a smooth silent arc, but it should function perfectly if you wanted to play around with spark effects or creating a loud tone. You can set up the interrupter to provide a variable duty cycle output, and that will allow you to have some control over the RMS input power without the need for a variac (however, peak voltage will be roughly the same).
TwirlyWhirly555
Wed Oct 14 2015, 09:09AM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
I used a LTC1799CS5 to drive a full bridge for flybacks , its a fully contained 5V ossilator with a rail to rail 50% duty output from 1Khz - 33Mhz with a single resistor to set the frequency and 1 pin to set internal divider .

I did try FM modulation too by coupling a audio signal to the oscillators set pin , it worked not to badly
GrantX
Thu Oct 15 2015, 04:09PM
TwirlyWhirly555 wrote ...

I used a LTC1799CS5 to drive a full bridge for flybacks , its a fully contained 5V ossilator with a rail to rail 50% duty output from 1Khz - 33Mhz with a single resistor to set the frequency and 1 pin to set internal divider .

I did try FM modulation too by coupling a audio signal to the oscillators set pin , it worked not to badly
That looks like a very good option, it's wide frequency band is nice.

It'd be great to have a list of common IC's that are useful for 4HV-related circuits, such as Tesla coils, induction heaters, etc etc. Things like oscillators, PWM IC's, FET drivers and other SMPS-related items might be a good starting point.
TwirlyWhirly555
Fri Oct 16 2015, 11:37AM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
For fixed based stuff like fly backs or similar its very good considering most stuff like that is below 100Khz , I came across it while looking for VCO ICs .

That would be handy , there are a lot if ICs out there .

Here's the IC

17185656173 Ac63d17925 NIMG_1101[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Its directly soldered to copper clad , etch pen was used to draw the circuit , its Opto coupled the the gate driver side

17783131585 370566c3b8 NIMG_1097[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr
ZakWolf
Sat Oct 17 2015, 07:20PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
GrantX wrote ...

The half bridge will work fine, but you will need to modify the circuit. The antenna picks up the oscillations from the resonator and feeds the signal into the input of the GDT driver ICs. You don't want to drive a flyback at its resonant frequency, since the voltage rise across the open-circuit secondary will nuke the insulation (plus you would need a ferrite CT over the ground lead from the secondary anyway, an antenna isn't really suitable for a ferrite-core transformer).

You will want to remove the antenna and 74HC14 IC, and replace the whole mess with some kind of local oscillator. The oscillator will provide a "clock signal" to the input of the driver ICs and will be responsible for controlling the frequency of the half-bridge inverter. The best frequency will vary depending on the transformer, so it's usually good to be able to adjust the frequency with a pot. One important thing is that the oscillator should be operating at a 50% duty cycle, in order to avoid saturating the GDT. Something like the SG3525 could be suitable, but there's probably far better choices out there (I can't remember if it's capable of an exact 50% duty cycle).

You can disable the interrupter if you wanted a smooth silent arc, but it should function perfectly if you wanted to play around with spark effects or creating a loud tone. You can set up the interrupter to provide a variable duty cycle output, and that will allow you to have some control over the RMS input power without the need for a variac (however, peak voltage will be roughly the same).

Since Im bouncing around with a couple projects I was looking at repairing my Plasma Speaker (Adam Link2 Link2 and getting my sstc 5 mini running again.

Can I drive the sstc mini UCC's pin 3 directly with the output of the sg355 from the plasma speaker?

Would audio mod. still work?

Could I audio modulate the tesla coil or if I used the sstc mini H bringe for a flyback could I run it of the line voltage(120v)?
GrantX
Wed Oct 21 2015, 11:39AM
Pin 3 on the UCC driver ICs is the enable pin, its used to hold the IC in a on or off state (that's why its used for the interrupter in that design). Pin 2 is the input, and it should work fine with the signal from a SG3525. Unless I'm missing something, the audio input to the SG3525 should also work (for the flyback only, unless you have tuned the SG3525 to the same frequency as your coil, like an open-loop SSTC).

The bridge is already running off a 120V line, so that will also work for your flyback, just make sure you have enough turns on the primary!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: