Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Powerex QIS4506001 and -02: The ultimate SISG IGBTs?

Move Thread LAN_403
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Oct 25 2006, 04:32PM Print
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Whilst surfing the Powerex site, I ran into these "cute" little things. Anybody seen these? They look *extremely* cool:

Link2 (Powerex QIS4506001)
Link2 (Powerex QIS4506002)

These are the same IGBT in different packages. The former is available from Rell for $180 each, and they've got hundreds in stock. Briefly, these are 4.5kV IGBT discretes. The docs say that the pulse current is 120A, however the Powerex press release gives the figure of *1000A*, and unfortunately the test conditions are not disclosed in either case (I have requested them, though).

Link2 (Powerex newsletter featuring these IGBTs)

The devices are in rather odd packages; the mounting plate *is* the collector. Makes me wonder what the "cool" way to heatsink and mount these things is? Any thoughts?

If the 1000A figure is representative of what might be expected of these in SISG service, then it seems like these would make for a fantastic compact, low-part-count SISG, and are (relatively) economical, especially next to the high-voltage "bricks".

I am going to buy one to play with.

Naturally, this leads me to wonder if there are higher-voltage SIDACs that might work, since sticking a dozen or more 300V SIDACs on a board next to one of these IGBTs seems "funny" to me. Unfortunately, the higher voltage SIDACs I see don't seem to have any heatsinking provisions, and their datasheets lead me to believe they they're not really meant for rapid, repeated pulses. The datasheet for the "Terry" SIDACs, to contrast, has a very reassuring chart correlating peak pulse current with pulse duration and rep rate. So I'll probably go with those, since they seem certain to work (and I have a boatload of them, so they're "free" smile)

EDIT: Should add that these don't have the reverse diode built in, so that needs to be added externally.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Finn Hammer
Wed Oct 25 2006, 05:28PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
I thought the _real_ beauty of the sisg topology is that it at last was possible, safely, to stack IGBT`s.
So why buy expensive high voltage stuf?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Oct 25 2006, 05:46PM
A good point. But I suppose there are *two* interesting dimensions to the SISG: Inexpense and simplicity. Carrying either to its extreme involves some forfeiture of the other, in my opinion. Simplicity, to me, includes part count, and the idea of a business-card-sized SISG board that'll do the same thing as one of the bigger 4x1200V boards is "cool" and "fun" to me. And if these can reasonably be regarded as "tougher" than the IRF parts w.r.t. pulse current (TBD), then for what you get, they might not really be regarded as "too expensive", especially after you deduct the savings you can derive from using fewer boards, heatsinks, and (possibly) other parts.

Plus, as these appear to not only be the cheapest but also the most available HV IGBTs anywhere, it seems a pitty not to "play" with them, hehehe cheesey

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Sulaiman
Wed Oct 25 2006, 08:01PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
For a high-voltage 'SIDAC' use
Xenon flash tubes
or small spark gaps.
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Oct 25 2006, 09:00PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

For a high-voltage 'SIDAC' use
Xenon flash tubes
or small spark gaps.

It's funny, I actually suggested the spark gap idea (the "IGBT-assisted Spark Gap") to TCML as a variation on the SISG some time back, however it was quickly (and rightly) dismissed at the time because it would be almost completely unworkable with the 1200V IGBTs. Stacking them would get really tricky. With these 4.5kV ones, it might actually work. Trouble is, a misfire could roast your IGBT(s). Perhaps a string of SIDACs is more reliable in that case.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: