Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Magnetizer

Move Thread LAN_403
rajheman
Wed Sept 16 2015, 02:27AM
rajheman Registered Member #54872 Joined: Fri Apr 17 2015, 06:33AM
Thanks for the response guys :).
Ya I know safety is first . the image which I mentioned here is just for the working principal of magnetizer.
Dear sir 2spoons I want to make this magnetizer to make a neodymium magnet of 8inch dia * 3 inches height disk .
My question is does my input power of 4kv 75m amps from 2 MOTs is sufficient to charge capacitor bang to get 18000 j energy ??
dexter
Wed Sept 16 2015, 05:46AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
rajheman wrote ...

My question is does my input power of 4kv 75m amps from 2 MOTs is sufficient to charge capacitor bang to get 18000 j energy ??

what do you mean by sufficient?
a better question is in how much time do you want the cap bank to be charged?
and from that a charging current can be calculated
2Spoons
Wed Sept 16 2015, 06:57AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Ok, you got me hooked (damn you!). I had a quick play with femm - if you surround your "magnet" with a steel mag head ( ie no air gaps) and put the coil around the periphery of the "magnet" I get a figure of roughly 200000 A.T to generate the 30kOe field needed. Thats about 15000J in the coil. The coil was modelled as single turn of solid copper 0.5 inches thick and 3 inches high, with an ID of 9 inches. It ends up dissipating 500kW. The real coil will need multiple turns to drop the current to something feasible, and slow the pulse down to allow field penetration of such a large piece of neo.

So... scary, but doable, though I have no idea how you plan on separating your finished magnet from your magnetising head.
rajheman
Mon Nov 30 2015, 05:32PM
rajheman Registered Member #54872 Joined: Fri Apr 17 2015, 06:33AM
hi guys after a long time ...i got free time to work on this magnetizer, toady i got two mots from local electronic shop cost 19$ each ..
on googling i got same piratical project on 24k joule capacitor bank discharge using open-air thyratron system by cevyn
Link2
his work is well matching to my work to make my magnetizer .
but i have one doubt in charging system.how to monitor the power while charging the capacitor bank . because the out put from two mots is above 4KV ..my multi meter reads only upto 600 volts .
i want to monitor power while charging the capacitor bank ..any ideas please help
klugesmith
Mon Nov 30 2015, 08:29PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
rajheman wrote ...
...how to monitor the power ... because the output from two mots is above 4KV ..my multi meter reads only upto 600 volts ... any ideas please help
It's alarming that you are working with lethal electricity before you understand how voltmeter scales are determined.

STFI and read about how voltmeters work. Learn how you can make one for any desired full-scale reading, or adapt yours to read higher voltages. For a topic so basic and universal, "search the Internet" does not mean "ask on a forum". Unless you want to demonstrate laziness on top of ignorance.

Please come back after you have measured the AC output voltage of a MOT and lived to tell about it.

DerAlbi
Mon Nov 30 2015, 10:45PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
hmmmh.
klugesmith.. i was more concerned about the fact that he wants to measure "power" while charging the capacitor bank with a "volt"-meter...
but your rant also delivers the right message wink
thx for doing the job, i didnt want to be the negative guy again.. i guess i fear to become known for that. hmmmmmmh
Signification
Tue Dec 01 2015, 03:37AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
...gives me a scary feeling...
MOT's in series rectified and filtered...use NST('s)!! especially for only 75mA.

OK;
I would use the FWB,
AND be sure not to use 1/4 Watt resistors--they can go like a "bomb" due to insufficient voltage rating.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: