All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

running a server and hacking

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:31AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I know so little about server management and how people break into them. Are there any books that teach one on how to run a server at home. Do any go into the details as to how someone breaks into the security?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Aug 28 2015, 07:02AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I think it comes down to always have updated software, have a strict firewall policy and know exactly which services are running with external access.

To avoid all this hassle I have put my faith in using a Synology diskstation, they have stepped up security a lot over the last year and it is easy to manage, low power consumption / noise.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Aug 28 2015, 08:37PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Actually, a problem can be the lack of practical understanding of how these systems work.
In general, I often recommend people start by administering a LAMP stack on a hobby VPS ($24/yr), and get a domain name with an anonymous whois record ($12/yr)...

Guidelines:
1. Learn how to backup your data off-line, and use of gpg encryption utilities
2. Only install the bare minimum number of services (a web-server should not have much on it)
3. Learn how to do this stuff on the command line, as desktops or web administration tools open more holes
4. Regularly check /var/log/ , file system signatures, and traffic profiles
5. Eat your own FUD by learning why Redhat/Debian server communities are popular
6. Most technical problems are already solved, but if you have time to write a book... you're likely doing it wrong....
7. No tool is appropriate for every situation, and different people develop their own recipes for handling different types of problems (firewall rules for example)
8. Test your own equipment with the same annoyances other people use (Dfind, Nessus, and so on...). Your servers will constantly be scanned by bots looking for holes on the Internet (like wordpress/phpmyadmin etc.)... And you can add your own fail2Ban filters to update firewall rules.

Check if the VPS IP you just rented is on the spammer black lists:
spamhaus.org

CERT does offer some advice for free:
Link2

Cheers,
Rod
Hon1nbo
Wed Sept 02 2015, 04:41PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
As a web hosting provider on the side, and an ethical hacker as my primary profession, I offer my advice below:

First, the points presented above are all valid, especially learning to understand the differences between the distributions and the tool chains.

Updates are paramount, especially with remote services. Firewalls are a must, but only work if the permitted services are not exploitable.
However, most of the vulnerabilities found in the wild are now in the Application layer (layer 7 of the OSI model depending on which version you use). It used to be network based, but now frameworks such as Wordpress and management tools are the more popular targets than the servers themselves.

I personally use CentOS / Red Hat, with SElinux contexts set. I have rolled my own recipes all over, as most experienced server admins will do. There is no single way to protect your services that is ideal besides shutting everything off (which would defeat the point of having them in the first place).

Checking your logs is vital, and understanding what they mean. I recommend a log analysis tool. Splunk is free for less than 500 MB of logs a day (and that would be a LOT of logs. I run a hosting provider on the side and mirror a lot of major distributions, and I only recently started hitting that limit). I personally use Kibana4 + Elasticsearch + Log Stash (Kibana 4 has major improvements, so detractors check it out before commenting. I used to be the same way).

Lastly, have an understanding of your services, both technically where you can (how it works), and practically (why is it here). if you don't understand the reason why configuration.php for Joomla needs to be chmod 660 then take the tame ti research it (also, you should be able to answer that 660 might not be ideal for you, as long as the last item is 0 for no permissions for others). This will help you figure out what you really need to lock down your servers.

Cheers,

-Jim

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: