Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building a simple trigatron

Move Thread LAN_403
gargamel
Fri Aug 14 2015, 06:42PM Print
gargamel Registered Member #56093 Joined: Wed Jul 29 2015, 04:57PM
Requirement:
-Switching my 4500V/1µF MMC cap as quickly as possible, using a piezo igniter as trigger
-The piezo is hand operated.
-It should be possible to fire the cap without a load on the output.

After some brainstorming done I found 3 ways to do it, please note my drawing.

My fear is the operation of the piezo switch. Somehow the operators finger is near the business. Maybe the circuit is fired with open output, without the load resistance. In this case the spark might discharge through the piezo switch (which would explode?) more tempting.
I would place some resistors in series to limit the current to few mA.

I wonder if version 2 would be any safer than 1.

Also in both cases the HV could discharge prematurely through the trigger circuit, even if slowly.

Version 3 would eliminate this but the spark would only cross the main firing path, not run parallel to it.
How much less effective woulf that be?

1439577717 56093 FT0 Trigatron
hen918
Fri Aug 14 2015, 09:24PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I wouldn't use a piezo (rather weak ignition), but if I would, I would use a mouse trap and a long length of string to fire it. The piezo material itself has a high dielectric strength, however there will probably be a small gap that could arc across.
There is another method, that involves two gaps, one for your trigger spark and one for you main arc it goes like this: output of capacitor electrode, load electrode, piezo electrode. The ground of the piezo is connected to the load electrode. The gaps should be configured in a V so UV light from the piezo spark ionises the air in the main gap and causes a breakdown, but the piezo spark does not jump across the top two electrodes.
gargamel
Fri Aug 14 2015, 11:06PM
My piezo is quite strong, compared to the ones built in lighters.
It reliably shoots through about 12mm. Much more than the main circuit.

There is another method, that involves two gaps, one for your trigger spark and one for you main arc it goes like this: output of capacitor electrode, load electrode, piezo electrode. The ground of the piezo is connected to the load electrode. The gaps should be configured in a V so UV light from the piezo spark ionises the air in the main gap and causes a breakdown, but the piezo spark does not jump across the top two electrodes.

I only count 3 electrodes, isn't that what I decribed in 2. ?

The resistor in series to the piezo must be a HV type of course.

For the sake of safety I'd prefer Number 3, even if the output is accidentally open, the cap cannot unload itself through the piezo... The electrodes could be aligned like a flattened X, so that both the main axis and the trigger axis could run as parallel as possible.
gargamel
Sat Dec 12 2015, 08:27PM
I'd like to ask you guys another question:

The perfect trigatron should obviously fire reliably when triggered, but should not fire by itself.
There are always some uncertainties like the voltage to be switched or the airs humidity varying ect.

I'm lacking experience here, I'll have to find out how near to unprovoked breakdown the electrodes must be placed, or how save the can be placed until the firing gets unreliable.
Just curious about your experence, is this sweet spot rather slim or whide?

Concerning the main electrodes, would you rather use sharp tips and greater distance or ball shaped ones and shorter distance?
Which one of these setups will provide me with a broader sweet spot?
hen918
Sun Dec 13 2015, 04:52PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
All trigatrons will fire by themselves if the voltage across them gets too high. This can actually be a benefit, as it prevents capacitors being destroyed by overcharging.

Pointy electrodes should not be used as the small surface area means that the plasma erodes them after only one or two shots.

I think large radius curves should be best, although I used flat ended electrodes and they worked OK.

The "sweet spot" depends on your triggering power. With a small spark from a piezo, the "sweet spot" will be quite small, with a higher current / power trigger, the sweet spot will be much wider.

Keep playing with the electrode distance until the setup is right.
Ash Small
Thu Dec 17 2015, 06:58PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
A third way is to superimpose the spark from the Piezzo onto the main circuit using an air core transformer. You wouldn't need many turns, and it wouldn't add a lot of inductance.

I don't think this would present any risk to your main capacitor, but I can't be certain.
radiotech
Mon Dec 21 2015, 08:55PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
How about spraying a fine mist of a salt solution between the sharp points?

The bang will somewhat add a bit of damping, and might help by not ruining
the capacitor with ringing.

And keep the fire point away from porcelain insulators. The tend to crack.

Signification
Fri Dec 25 2015, 11:20AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
radiotech wrote ...

How about spraying a fine mist of a salt solution between the sharp points?

The bang will somewhat add a bit of damping, and might help by not ruining
the capacitor with ringing.

And keep the fire point away from porcelain insulators. The tend to crack.

EXACTLY (almost) what I was thinking of trying! The mist never occurred to me. My main thought was letting a drop of saltwater fall through the field. It occurred to me that this may be too small, so I considered a soap bubble made from salt water--maybe even blown through one of the high voltage electrodes with a small hole in the center. Pointy OR (more so) spherical electrode. This may even work with just the H2O.
ps:
Wouldn't you be scared that the high voltage might find a path through the mist near you (if sprayed by hand)?
Patrick
Fri Dec 25 2015, 08:11PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Signification wrote ...

. . . . . high voltage might find a path through the mist near you (if sprayed by hand)?

Yes.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: