Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DIY pickling of steel?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
johnf
Tue Jul 28 2015, 06:52AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
You can jazz up the acid whatever its is by putting in hydrogen peroxide into the acid.

I do this with HCL to clean substrates before ion implantation heating the acid mix also speeds it up

Bored Chemist
Tue Jul 28 2015, 06:43PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The trouble with adding peroxide is that it will increase the rate of etching of the metal.
klugesmith
Thu Jul 30 2015, 11:05PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
For safe mixing, do you add acid to peroxide or peroxide to acid? smile

I tried sulfuric acid on a small section of the same material. The acid is sold for unclogging drains, and might include inhibitors to reduce the etching of exposed iron. After 5- and 15-minute dips, I left the work overnight in a 1:1 mixture of acid and water. Outdoors, with no heating of my soft plastic containment vessel.
Behavior was consistent with most references on the Internet. H2SO4 does not dissolve scale, but needs to get underneath it (through cracks) and etch the interface to release the scale. The workpiece ended up with blistered scale, and I popped the blisters by peening with a hammer. Here's the result:
1438296966 2099 FT172311 Dscn0162

Reduction in diameter was about 0.004", which could be just from losing the scale's thickness.

I think I'll do the second 7-inch-long bar like the first, with hydrochloric acid, but pay more attention to before-and-after dimensions.

Sulfuric acid might be a way to dispose of leftover pills (prescription medication), which is not supposed to be put into the sanitary sewer system or the regular garbage stream. I don't know what they do with stuff turned in at medication drop-off sites. But right now, on my patio, one could find heavy pulverizing pestles and very strong chemical digesting agents.
klugesmith
Sun Aug 09 2015, 04:57PM
OK, time to close the book on this episode. At least until the missing steel 1x4 bars turn up.

The second pole piece is a twin of the first. Most of its scale was gone after two 1-hour sessions with occasional agitation (by squeezing the sides of the tank) and with fresh 1:4 diluted HCl for each session. Remember, there's not much acid volume compared to the workpiece surface area. It was good enough for me to proceed with neutralization and painting. The small holes are the subject of a different story.

1439138434 2099 FT172311 Dscn0213

Also I used the sulfuric acid to digest some leftover isosorbide mononitrate and prochlorperazine tablets, after pulverizing them with a thick steel roller. Some white material (inert mineral filler?) would not dissolve until I added water. Initially in very small portions, while wearing safety glasses, while stirring vigorously, and allowing to cool between portions. I'm sure there was no pharmaceutical activity left when they went down the drain.
But this was a big waste of time. The authorities here recommend that leftover medicine (with a few exceptions) be disposed of with regular garbage, in closed containers. The special considerations are to prevent diversion. Use unmarked containers, mix pills with water, put unpalatable stuff in with them, etc. I have a regular supply of turds from the cat pictured in this thread.
Conundrum
Mon Aug 17 2015, 05:27AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Apparently out of date aspirin contains a very strong acid (salicylic) and can be used to juice up PCB etching as well as enable good even plating on tin plate solution.
I noticed that some white wine and colored vinegar has an additive in it that ruins etching somehow, the fix for this is to use cheap white vinegar smile
Bored Chemist
Mon Aug 17 2015, 05:32PM
In the ordinary course of events, medication is almost always disposed of via the sewers- think about it; where else is it going to end up?.
Salicylic acid isn't very strong in absolute terms, but it' not bad for an organic acid.

Pulverising organic nitrates is likely to win you a Darwin award. Thankful, the ones used as drugs are normally diluted with something fairly inert.

It's more than likely that the sulphuric acid had no significant effect of the Prochlorperazine; but you probably put anyone off stealing it.
klugesmith
Tue Aug 18 2015, 01:24AM
Thank you, BC, I know better now. Shouldn't've pretended to know what I was doing in that last experiment.

Of course most medicine in the sewage stream got there through ordinary toilet activity.

Re. Darwin: I knew that "ISMO" is taken for the same purpose as nitroglycerin. Never thought to see if part of a 20 mg tablet could be detonated with a hammer blow. Too late now! smile MSDS for the pure material Link2 warns: "may explode by detonation, heat, or shock." Huh? How does something explode by detonation, as opposed to by heat or by shock?

Since prochlorperazine is an oxygen-free molecule, I guess it can't be hydrolyzed or dehydrated by H2SO4. And, as you hinted, it's not unknown for druggies to abuse it.

How about if my penance is to to measure and report the specific gravity of the acidic drain opener? Good excuse to get into the glass hydrometer collection. Or a 50 ml volumetric flask and a weighing scale.

-Rich

Bored Chemist
Tue Aug 18 2015, 09:20PM
How good is your balance?
And what you really neded isn't a flask, but one of these to go with it.
Link2
Even then you won't get a reliable answer because the acid will almost certainly contain other material- apart from water and acid.

The acid is almost certainly something like 95 +/- 5% which is not a bad level of imprecision.
If you really want to know the concentration, titrate it.
smile
hen918
Wed Aug 19 2015, 04:56PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
As far as I know, the drain unblocker I have is 92% sulphuric, 8% water. I know many people use something similar for nitration so I think it's pretty additive free.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Aug 20 2015, 12:25AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
No, if you dilute it, it has some kind of surfactant in it that causes frothing. Sulphuric Acid does not do that on its own. For our uses it's not a problem, but if you're doing any real lab work, it's not lab grade.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: