Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

All physics textbooks wrong in the setup and derivation of the RLC series circuit equation?

first  3 4 5 6
Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Mon Jun 22 2015, 08:47PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
This thread shares valuable knowledge (to me...) as it progresses: I pay close attention to all replys and learn from them--I also look forward to more...

Here are two short segments of (I think, the same) MIT lecture that appeared to illustrate (with an actual demonstration circuit (at the end of part 2) this Faraday vs Kirchhoff 'phenomenon'.

part 1:
Link2

part 2:
Link2

I am still searching for that 'detailed supplement' but can't seem to find it on the MIT page. I will post it when I find it. I saw it a couple year's ago, so I know it is out there--it is convincing--certainly to the students!

BTW: at the start of part 2, when he mentions 100 and 900 "VOLT" components, he actually means "OHMS".
Antonio
Mon Jun 22 2015, 11:57PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Complex impedances are just an algebraic representation of what happens when the voltages and currents are all in sinusoidal steady state. Of course Kirchhoff's laws apply there, but that analysis can't be applied directly in transient waveforms, where Kirchhoff's laws also apply, as long as the assumption of a lumped circuit is valid.

In the MIT lecture the circuit is made with a loop of wire around the central solenloid interrupted by the two resistors, and the oscilloscope reads the voltages over the resistors with the ground connection between both. The outcome is perfectly correct, since the loop of wire forms a transformer with the solenoid. The "missing" voltage source is over the loop, induced by the solenoid switching. Care must be taken to route properly the connections to the oscilloscope, otherwise the coupling to the leads may be significant too.
Ash Small
Tue Jun 23 2015, 03:35AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Signification wrote ...

Here are two short segments of (I think, the same) MIT lecture that appeared to illustrate (with an actual demonstration circuit (at the end of part 2) this Faraday vs Kirchhoff 'phenomenon'.

The results obtained are exactly what you'd expect from this circuit:

1435030559 3414 FT171690 Kirchoff

(I forgot to add the resistor values, 100 Ohm on the left, and 900 Ohm on the right, the same as in the demo.)

In the previous demonstration (the first video) the 1 volt source was across the meter as well as the 100 Ohm resistor. In the second demonstration, it's obviously not measured by either meter, as it's an induced voltage that is induced around the whole loop.

Uspring
Tue Jun 23 2015, 08:52AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Signification wrote:
***** Emf = closed path integral of E•dl = - L di/dt (NOT 0) ***** THIS IS THE GENERAL LAW OF FARADAY:
EDIT: Not quite. Faradays law relates the E*dl path integral to the flux change dphi/dt.

Why not just use this whenever an inductor is (or is not) in the loop and settle for the right answer obtained every time and in a valid way. AND, unlike several applications in other fields, where such an argument leads to non-classical techniques to get the "exact / precise / perfect" answer is impractical, here it is no more difficult.
Actually it is more difficult to do it this way. Consider an inductor and other components wired in a loop. Applying Faradays law to all of this would require to calculate the flux inside the inductor and also inside the circuit loop. The field inside the inductor will be affected by its core and you also will need a specification of its geometry, i.e. turns, diameter etc. Also some of the inductors field will spill into the circuit loop contributing to the emf. This involves solving Maxwells equations for the whole circuit and in practice, nobody goes into the pain of doing this.

You can get a nearly accurate result by simply reading off the inductance value printed on the inductor, neglect the inductance of the circuit loop and apply Kirchhoffs law.
Signification
Tue Jun 23 2015, 10:20AM
Uspring wrote ...

Signification wrote:
***** Emf = closed path integral of E•dl = - L di/dt (NOT 0) ***** THIS IS THE GENERAL LAW OF FARADAY:
EDIT: Not quite. Faradays law relates the E*dl path integral to the flux change dphi/dt.

The relation which I think is the most important (which maybe I should have written) is the one that relates the "CLOSED PATH" circuit integral with the connecting "OPEN SURFACE" B-field integral, namely:

closed loop integral of E•dl = d/dt of the open surface integral B•dA ( I think I got that right--end of a rough day / night )

Things seem to start with Oersted's: Φ proportional to i

The remainder of your msg is sort of what I have been waiting to see, an illustrating example...I intend to 'work it out' in some detail...
BigBad
Tue Jun 23 2015, 05:10PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Antonio wrote ...

Complex impedances are just an algebraic representation of what happens when the voltages and currents are all in sinusoidal steady state. Of course Kirchhoff's laws apply there, but that analysis can't be applied directly in transient waveforms, where Kirchhoff's laws also apply, as long as the assumption of a lumped circuit is valid.
Transients are no problem. You just do Fourier analysis; and it all falls out, (at least, provided it's linear.)

If it's not linear, Kirchoff's laws still apply, as a limit case, but you have to use an iterative process, which may not necessarily entirely follow Kirchoff, but any deviations are errors in the process; variations from what the real circuit will do (provided there's no unmodelled strays).

It's only really the strays that mess up Kirchoff, it's not an incorrect model of reality per se.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jun 23 2015, 08:20PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
??? Link2 ???
Signification
Fri Jun 26 2015, 01:59PM
THE END (?)
first  3 4 5 6

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: