Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/03 mileswaldron (59)
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need a BIG 10kv DC supply

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Jun 06 2015, 04:24PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Do you not need some form of current limiting in order to prevent voltage sag?

Can you limit beam current by regulating filament current?

Do you need a 'load impedance' (ie resistor) to limit current?

(I'm not certain about this, but I think it's relevant, from my understanding of these things.)

EDIT: I think this is what the triode does. I designed something similar for 'pulsing' a magnetron for a similar type of application. I've not built it yet, though.
Sat Jun 06 2015, 06:04PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
for 10kv all you really need is a large ferrite core and a forward converter or generic halfbridge/fullbridge. Sadly, you will need something a bit larger than a flyback core for 10kw average (unless you decide to go down the route of paralleling a bunch of supplies), but something like Link2 should work well as long as you are careful to pack the wingdings close and run at 50+khz to keep the power density high.

A good starting point might be a solid state x-ray supply, like Link2, unfortunately they are usually configured for a bit too much output voltage so you may need to open it up and remove some of the doubler stages.
macona
Sun Jun 07 2015, 12:21AM
macona Registered Member #3272 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 11:40PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

a few thoughts;

1 where do you expect the 12 kW to be dissipated?
... my expectation is that it will be in the target/glass ... can you cool it adequately?

2 how long would it take to deposit, for example, a 1/4-wavelength thick coating at 1.2A?
... not long I guess !

since deposition rate is proportional to current, you could use a lower current for longer,
this would allow a MUCH cheaper power supply
and finer control over total charge / deposition thickness.

if this is for hobby / very small scale use
then I suggest;
single phase ac - variac - NST/OBIT or similar - rectifier(s) .... NO capacitor(s)
. the NST/OBIT would provide short circuit / over current protection
. the low current output of an NST/OBIT and lack of capacitance / charge storage makes the power supply scarily painful but (generally) non-lethal

I'll add any afterthoughts later.

This is the gun, made by Sloan and is still made by another company, YTI. According to the manual, 99.9% of the energy goes into the material and will handle up to 12kw. Depending on the material there are different methods that are used to evaporate it like scanning over the surface or using a single spot. With a gun like this you are going to need about 3kw minimum to get anywhere using a graphite crucible.

18515343676 025a5f1693 B
Sloan 270 degree electron beam gun by Jerry Biehler, on Flickr

macona
Sun Jun 07 2015, 12:24AM
mikeselectricstuff wrote ...

Does it matter is it's not smoothed? If not then something crude like a transformer, halfwave rectifier and ballast may do it.
But as mentioned, just because it's rated to 1.2A doesn't mean you need (or can) use it at that level.
Start off with something quick cheap & easy at a lower current, get it working then decide if you really need isane power.

It does need to be smoothed somewhat. How much, I dont know. I have not found any specs on what kind of ripple it can take. The ripple will cause the electron beam to move in the direction that it is bent. Lower voltage makes a tighter bend. Thats probably why most of these supplies are three phase, less ripple.
macona
Sun Jun 07 2015, 12:29AM
Ash Small wrote ...

Do you not need some form of current limiting in order to prevent voltage sag?

Can you limit beam current by regulating filament current?

Do you need a 'load impedance' (ie resistor) to limit current?

(I'm not certain about this, but I think it's relevant, from my understanding of these things.)

EDIT: I think this is what the triode does. I designed something similar for 'pulsing' a magnetron for a similar type of application. I've not built it yet, though.

Yes, some sort of limiting is needed because you dont want the gun to run at full power all the time. Different processes require different currents.

You ought to be able to limit emission current with the filament. I was considering this for a basic design, I figure if it works in my SEM, it ought to work here.

The triode is used as a voltage regulator. Current is limited by the "transductor" which is just a mag amp. Old, simple tech used in some welders too. It might be possible to use a movable core inductor to do the same thing.
macona
Sun Jun 07 2015, 12:35AM
... wrote ...

for 10kv all you really need is a large ferrite core and a forward converter or generic halfbridge/fullbridge. Sadly, you will need something a bit larger than a flyback core for 10kw average (unless you decide to go down the route of paralleling a bunch of supplies), but something like Link2 should work well as long as you are careful to pack the wingdings close and run at 50+khz to keep the power density high.

A good starting point might be a solid state x-ray supply, like Link2, unfortunately they are usually configured for a bit too much output voltage so you may need to open it up and remove some of the doubler stages.

I have been considering building some sort of switching supply. I have quite a few large half bridge IGBT modules. I used to be a miller service tech and have worked on quite a few inverter welders and have lots of parts lying around. I have a bunch of 300 and 400 amp modules.

For the transformer I am wondering if I could use this x-ray transformer I have as a donor, it was supposed to be something like 100-120kv. I am never going to do anything with it. It has a laminated steel U core with a 1.5x3" cross section. I am not sure what the alloy is, I could put some filings under the SEM and use the EDX to find it's composition if it really matters.

18355569079 2d7271f05d B
X-ray transformer by Jerry Biehler, on Flickr
Patrick
Sun Jun 07 2015, 07:32AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
you have some impressive devices.
macona
Mon Jun 08 2015, 08:33PM
Patrick wrote ...

you have some impressive devices.

I need cheaper hobbies.
Thomas W
Mon Jun 08 2015, 09:00PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
I wouldn't scrap such a lovely transformer! At least try selling it if you arn't gonna use it. Could probably get enough money to get a custom transformer guy to wind you a new one.
Patrick
Mon Jun 08 2015, 10:17PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
macona wrote ...

I need cheaper hobbies.

High voltage is like the mafia, once your in - - your in. you aint leavin'.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: