All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Add your technological catastrophe here

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sat Apr 18 2015, 06:03AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
"reminds me of a neighbor who had a problem with getting batteries stolen from his spare car.
after the 4th one he asked me for help.
i had him disconnect the positive cable at the starter.i then installed a 24v aircraft battery.
2 weeks later the hood was ajar and the battery missing.
a few days later there was a big commotion a few doors up in the alley.kids were pushing a smoking car out of their garage.it was on fire under the dash.
after the fire dept got done putting it out(what was left of it)one of the firemen asked who was the idiot that put the 24v battery in it?
never had any more batteries stolen!"

Feel free to add to this thread..

-A
dexter
Sat Apr 18 2015, 09:00AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
based on your story the thread title is quite misleading title it should have been "Add SOMEONE technological catastrophe here"
Ash Small
Sat Apr 18 2015, 09:04AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
On the subject of 'technical catastrophies', here's a 'ridiculous' reccuring problem, exacerbated by laziness.

I used to do a lot of work on offshore racing powerboats, back in the '90's.

A local racer and former European class 2 champion was fitting out a boat for a 'Round Britain' record attempt, he decided to fit a couple of Rover V8 engines (the old Buick 215 engine), in order to get reasonable fuel economy (They had fitted a 500 gallon fuel tank, and planned two re-fueling stops), and he got a local grasstrack racer and regular National grasstrack champion to prepare the engines, which I fitted, under instruction from 'those who knew about these things'. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I offered to weld up some stainless water cooled exhaust headers (stainless is far from ideal, as seawater obviously contains sodium chloride, and chlorine is the worst enemy of stainless, especially when hot), but 'The Team' decided to get some aluminium headers from 'The 'Man' in Wakefield' who produced headers for the grasstrack racers, and got him to weld a water-cooled jacket around them. Now aluminium likes hot seawater even less than stainless does, I pointed this out, but was met with the response that 'They knew what they were doing'.

Now, it's pretty common knowledge that if you are using what's known as 'raw water cooling' (ie 'seawater') in an aluminium engine, the minimum requirement is to flush the engine(s) out with fresh water after every run, to minimize corrosion, but could they be bothered to get this done???? Far too much trouble.

Anyway, they entered a few races and generally 'prepared' for their 'Round Britain Record Attempt', then, a few days before the predicted 'weather window' in June, they discovered a leak in one of the exhaust headers, and came to me asking me to 'weld it up', blaming 'faulty workmanship' by the 'expert' in Wakefield. I tried to point out that it was a corrosion issue, and also tried to point out that if any seawater had found it's way back to the exhaust valves they would have become severely weakened, and should be replaced as a matter of course, but this all fell on 'deaf ears'.....There wasn't time, etc, etc.

Anyway, the 'weather window' was confirmed by the Met Office, and they set off at midnight, got about five miles, and 'dropped' an exhaust valve cry

You might think that was the end of it, but one of his fellow racers, and a 'regular' National Class 1 champion had a boat with two V12 Lambourgini engines, also fitted with 'factory' Lambourgini cast aluminium water cooled exhaust headers called me in to strip one engine after it had blown during a race. I stripped it, examined the parts, and discovered that one exhaust header, while it looked OK from the outside, had 'disintegrated' inside, most of the inner through which the exhaust flowed was 'missing', and some of the exhaust valves were also 'missing' the heads.

No problem, just re-configure the boat to race with one engine. Next race, he got about 15 miles, was still way ahead of 'the pack' when that engine blew, and the boat caught fire amazed

Needless to say, when the owner of the first boat decided to re-engine with a big block V8, and found the water cooled exhaust risers were too short, and that it would take weeks to get some longer ones from the States, he asked me to weld up some stainless ones.

The Mercruiser ones, which he eventually ordered are made from cast iron, for very good reason, some cast irons are very resistant to salt water corrosion.

Patrick
Thu Apr 23 2015, 08:16PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Ash Small wrote ...

they discovered a leak in one of the exhaust headers, and came to me asking me to 'weld it up', blaming 'faulty workmanship' by the 'expert' in Wakefield.
sounds like the space shuttle Challenger. Dont worry it will fly fine, you worry to much, its never been a problem before.... quit your complaining were flying.

Conundrum
Sun Apr 26 2015, 07:25AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Yeah, the "head in the sand" approach is common in "Big Pharma" as well.
Cough Vioxx /Cough

-A

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: