Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HF gate drive experiments

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Fri Oct 13 2006, 05:55AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
GO PB tongue

You never cease to amaze me... I couldn't even get decent gate drive at 700khz, you have perfect drive at 12mhz!

And my old standby, I want plasma!
Avalanche
Fri Oct 13 2006, 07:57AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Nice one, looks like you're getting that gate drive perfected! What are the heatsinked devices on the pcb, are they normal transistors or mosfets? Just trying to figure out what you're using now schematic wise

I'm off to Maplin in a few minutes when the traffic has died down, couldn't sleep properly thinking about class-e tongue
Steve Conner
Fri Oct 13 2006, 10:30AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Wow, neat! Are you using any sort of matching network between the gate driver chips and the MOSFET gate, or just hard driving it? Also, is that an IRFP450LC or just a plain IRFP450?
ragnar
Fri Oct 13 2006, 11:10AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Hi Steve, Avalanche,
The heatsinked IXDD414s on the PCB are top secret, and I can't tell you what they are. =-P

Ah, does a resistor count as a matching network? I'd also like to proudly note this is a plain boring cheap IRFP450, as opposed to the LC version which costs 5x as much. ^^

No series L or series C, I'm just 'hard driving',yes (although not hard enough...).

WaveRider
Fri Oct 13 2006, 01:07PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Goodo BP! It's always best to go for brute force first.. tongue Make it look pretty later..........
teravolt
Sat Oct 14 2006, 05:08AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hello all, I have also made a version of driver that uses the IXDD414CI. This is my second version of this circuit and I have been able to get 0 to 5Mhz out of it. The smallest pulse width is about 80ns. It has on board current protection and sends out a fault pulse. this driver is isolated to about 1200v by opto's and uses a raw dc foating supply to power the high side. I'm not able to give formal shematic or o-scope print at this time but will in a thread later. Thease drivers are pritty robust and I have goten them down to 20ns on a proto board. Presantly I am driving a standard igbt IXGH32N60C with about 1.3 ohms for a time of 100ns with about 16ns rise and fall times. This pcb will accomidate a F/O link or directly with optos.

1160802516 195 FT17052 Mod3
Marko
Sat Oct 14 2006, 12:48PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
These boards look absolutely awesome teravolt.

Have any higher resolution pics or schematics?

(I'm wondering what all those IC's and strange looking components are for cheesey )
Avalanche
Sat Oct 14 2006, 02:40PM
Nice boards there!

Anyway along the same lines as BP's gate driver torture, I tried the MC34151P driver at 12Mhz yesterday. It claims to be a high-speed driver, and it has a schmitt triggered input. Just not high enough though wink With 12Mhz matched into its input, initial power-on looked promising with a fairly good sine-looking output, which didn't last long before it died away to nothing cheesey This was with no load. The chip didn't even get hot though, it just seems to shut down! Switching off for a few seconds and back on does the same, and I just cannot kill the chip.

So anyway I now have a nice 0.3 watt 4-24Mhz transmitter using various crystals and harmonics of, lets see if I can do anything constructive wink
teravolt
Sat Oct 14 2006, 06:45PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
hears a larger picture, my next version of this will use 2 IXDD414CI in parallel for driving brick gates at 30A peak. it will have no current feadback and be just a raw driver but will be fully isolated. I am hoping to get 100ns rise and fall times for large bricks but I don't know if is pausible. The trick is to reduce resistance and inductance as much as pausible between the driver and gate. The only problem with thease drivers is that they need a seperate power supply or DC to DC converter if you want to float them wich leeds to complexity of the bridge. N.B.
1160851539 195 FT17052 Dscn0584

1160851539 195 FT17052 Dscn0587
Avalanche
Tue Oct 31 2006, 06:19PM
Anyone had any further luck with gate torture?

After quietly building several prototypes and blowing them up over the last few days, I've managed to get a fairly nice gate drive into an IRFP460 at 12Mhz, using a crystal oscillator and a class A-B RF amplifier matched into the gate. The A-B output stage is driven by the 74HCT logic chip, via a mini impedence matching transformer into the bases.

I am now absolutely gutted though, because 5 minutes ago I was running the thing without any heatsinks on my transistors (couldn't wait to check it out dead ) Nice 12Mhz across the gate went down to nothing as I turned up the bias too much, and the board hissed at me mad

As soon as I manage to find some replacement transistors (I think I have some lying around) I'll replace them, fit a heatsink, and post some scope shots, but for now you'll have to imagine the scope shots and just make do with a picture of my HF driver board smile

(I think I need to cut down on capacitors next time cheesey )
1162318576 103 FT17052 Img 3054

Failed prototypes:

1162318576 103 FT17052 Img 3056
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: