Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Really big brick - Off-line SISG coil?

Move Thread LAN_403
J. Aaron Holmes
Fri Oct 13 2006, 03:28PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Test results (brief): It appears to work! No unwanted DC resistances, and the thing appears to turn on smile Didn't get to play as much as I wanted, but it seems I do actually have the fixins for an OL-SISG smile Still need to tinker a bit with the MMC figures, which is one reason why...

NeverStone C. wrote ...

Terry, I never quite understood your voltage doubler charging arrangement. As far as I can tell, it has to either fire at 60bps, or else only charge half of the tank cap for each bang. In the latter case it would waste 3/4 of the energy capability of the cap?

...this question interests me. In the more "classic" voltage doubler config with an SISG + primary across it, it seems intuitive that 60bps is what you'd end up with. Does this change in some subtle way with PIRANHA? You're talking about many 100's of bps. Of course 60bps isn't all bad; the caps will certainly be a lot happier! smile

Regards,
Aaron

Terry Fritz
Sat Oct 14 2006, 12:59AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
J. Aaron Holmes wrote:
Test results (brief): It appears to work! No unwanted DC resistances, and the thing appears to turn on

Cool! It should be good!!

Steve said:
Terry, I never quite understood your voltage doubler charging arrangement.

"I" never quite undersood how PIRANHA's charging works either amazed The "computer" figured it out while I was randomly trying different things. But the actual coil does work just like the MicroSim model, so it "does" work.

Here is what I know:

The MOT voltage can be fairly low (like 105VAC) to help keep the MOT out of saturation.

The primary cap is fairly "resonant" with the MOT which helps charge the two 330nF caps up to 1.5X the voltage. The primary cap value is not super critical and 200 to 400nF seems to work prety good too.

The system charges as a voltage doubler referenced to ground but discharges "floating". So the caps really don't discharge with respect to ground. Having the other cap discharge to a lower voltage helps the next cycle fire. It is almost "preserving" the firing voltage.

The BPS is pretty sensitive to the actual line voltage (variac). One can get from 60, 120, 240, "other" BPSs easily but it is touchy if you are trying to hit one exactly. Often the firing is fairly chaotic. ~240BPS seems like a nice area. The streamers "like" the higher BPS and the chaotoic nature of the thing.

Here is a Microsim model:

Link2
Link2

The firing rate at 106VAC input is ~220 BPS as shown here:

Link2

But look at those cap voltages! amazed

Link2

The waveforms on the two caps are "messy" but they add up to the bottom waveform which is able to fire the 165nF combined capacitance at 220 BPS at 6900V!

Nothing really gets hot and the 100 ohm resistors just get a little warm. The system power is

220 x 1/2 165e-9 x 6900^2 = 864 watts.

The MicroSim model gives an RMS voltage of 106.066V and 9.668Arms:

Link2

So the VA is 1025.5. If we look at the real input power:

Link2

We get 911.6 watts. So the power factor is 88.9 Which is pretty good cheesey

The "loss" is 911.6 - 864 = 47.6 W The RMS current through the 100 ohm resistors is:

Link2

430mA so the power dissipation is 2 x 0.43^2 * 100 = 37 watts. That only leaves 10Watts on the IGBTs and primary ressitance! 0.25 ohms there seems "high"! It is proably a little lower! The IGBTs stay "cold" in the fan breeze.

So there, now you know just as much about it as I do cheesey It is a bazaar thing and it works super good!! But the charging stuff is not "easy" to comprehend. I hope to figure it out "someday" smile

The PIRANHA is the only coil I use now and I have no desire to get out any of the others. Simple, light, never breaks, runs forever, and is a super good performer off a single happily running MOT. It is a scary coil in that it goes from dead silent to full power instantly, and it is loaded for bear!! amazed

Obviosuly, it is the greatest Tesla coil design on Earth tongue I should probably advertize it more, but it will come in its time wink It is a little tougher to get across since between the MOT and the coil, "nothing" is "conventional" at all... And I can still say that an SISG coil has "still" never blown up cheesey

Cheers,

Terry
J. Aaron Holmes
Sat Oct 14 2006, 02:18AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Terry Fritz wrote ...

And I can still say that an SISG coil has "still" never blown up cheesey

Heheh....well, that means the title of "First To Blow Up An SISG" will probably be mine smile The more I look at the primary currents necessary to get any kind of coil power out of 600Vpk, the more scared I get!! Maybe I shouldn't just plunge in like this, but I'm so impatient! cheesey

I'm seriously considering going back and getting the other one of these bricks. There were two. $100 total (for two of these) seems pretty good if they work. Then I could scale up a bit with a MOT or something if things start to go well.

If I get a good bonus this year (and hide some from the wife), maybe I'll have to pick up one of those 6.5kV bricks to play with. Haven't seen any used ones yet, though, and I've been watching for a while...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: