Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High power EM projectile launcher

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Sun Jan 24 2016, 06:33PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Well you obviously have a special feeling for such things - i admire that. I know that k is the shared flux and stuff but how it really affects energy transfer and why its k² and not k, I wouldnt dare to predict. But my speciality is circuit design, not the phyiscs behind it...
I am also not sure about my model... since the inductor changes i used the complete formula you stated once in the Coilgun-thread. But i dont know if that actually conserves or creates energy because it is going into mechanical work (due to changing k) so it feels wrong to care abut energy conservation in the changing inductor.
However the efficiency seems to be about right. Whats not right is the current waveform. Maybe Kizmo shares an oscilloscope picture of the current to show you what i mean. Edit: i remembered unspecified waveforms, that were maybe not even loaded with a disc. We have to wait for Kizmo to do measurements.
Honestlsy, i used LTSpice only as nonlinear time domain solver for your equations. i am not sure what i am actually simulating.
Uspring
Mon Jan 25 2016, 11:58AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
DerAlbi wrote:
I know that k is the shared flux and stuff but how it really affects energy transfer and why its k² and not k, I wouldnt dare to predict.
Yes, flux and Faradays law is involved.
Imagine a primary coil and a short circuited secondary coupled to it. For simplicity assume them to be without resistance. Then apply some voltage V for some time to the primary. That will generate according to Faradays law a flux phi in it:

phi = Integral(V*dt)

There will also be some flux generated from the current induced in the secondary but that affects only the current in the primary but not the validity of Faradays law. We can calculate the current in the primary by using the coupled primary inductance, i.e.

Icoupled = Integral(V*dt) / Lcoupled, so

Icoupled = phi / Lcoupled

The energy in the system is now

Ecoupled = 0.5 * Lcoupled * Icoupled^2

Note, that there is no flux through the secondary by Faradays law, since it is short circuited and therefore no voltage across it. Now move the secondary far away, so that it is not coupled anymore. The fluxes through both coils don't change during the movement, since there is no voltage across them. This implies a zero current in the secondary (no flux) and in the primary we have:

Iuncoupled = phi / Luncoupled

The energy in the system is after the movement:

Euncoupled = 0.5 * Luncoupled * Iuncoupled ^2

Putting these equations together, we get:

Euncoupled / Ecoupled = Lcoupled / Luncoupled

This allows us to calculated the electrical energy loss in the system from the change of the primary inductance. This loss is equal to the mechanical energy the disk acquires. With some more math the force can be derived. Applying the equation for k and the and the inductances, we get:

Euncoupled / Ecoupled = 1 - k^2

The theoretical max efficiency is then:

Eff = (Ecoupled-Euncoupled) / Ecoupled = k^2

I am also not sure about my model... since the inductor changes i used the complete formula you stated once in the Coilgun-thread. But i dont know if that actually conserves or creates energy because it is going into mechanical work (due to changing k) so it feels wrong to care abut energy conservation in the changing inductor.
I'm not sure about this myself. The I*dL/dt term is sort of a back emf effect. My hunch is, that your simulation is correct. Anyway, since the efficiency is less than 10%, this effect is not so large, so the error due to a wrong simulation should also be not so large.
Kizmo
Mon Jan 25 2016, 01:01PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Soon we will get much better velocity measurements! Im constructing laser and phototransistor based light gate setup where i can use oscilloscope for measuring time between two light beam crossings.

No more guess work from blurry 1200fps video.

Just for lolz we placed old and crappy basket ball on the disk to see if it would launch sky high. It didnt, the ball exploded and disk went pretty much straight through it cheesey Mighty bang!

Uspring
Tue Jan 26 2016, 04:40PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
If there are sightings of silvery disks flying around Northern Europe, I know now, where they come from.

Just be careful, the coil can explode.

DerAlbi
Tue Jan 26 2016, 05:35PM
Explode?? Shouldnt it just "implode" at best? (since its not the electrical weak point)
hen918
Tue Jan 26 2016, 06:01PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

Explode?? Shouldnt it just "implode" at best? (since its not the electrical weak point)
No, the huge magnetic fields act to push the windings apart. What you end up with cannot be called anything other than an explosion.
DerAlbi
Tue Jan 26 2016, 06:31PM
Aha suprised Is that due to the disk then? Because all i know a coil it self contracts, but does not expand. And why would the force of the disk exceed the contraction?
dexter
Tue Jan 26 2016, 06:56PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

Aha suprised Is that due to the disk then? Because all i know a coil it self contracts, but does not expand. And why would the force of the disk exceed the contraction?

Newton's third law: For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.
now the force acting upon the disk is not on all pints perpendicular to the disk, this mean there is a big vertical component and a small horizontal component. Both are felt by the coil in the opposite direction (Newton's third law) and depending on the coil/ disk geometry and power levels the coil might explode :)

Kizmo
Tue Jan 26 2016, 06:59PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Uspring wrote ...

If there are sightings of silvery disks flying around Northern Europe, I know now, where they come from.

Just be careful, the coil can explode.

cheesey I am relatively careful. The coil is constructed in a way that i would be extremely impressed if it fails mechanically. Basicly it is wound with two parallel strips of copper sheet metal, 1.25mm by 35mm. Turn to turn insulation is done with duct tape and entire thing is bonded together with 2 component polyurethane based car body adhesive. The base is made from heavy duty birch plywood and the coil sits partially inside of a machined cavity.

EDIT:
Here is a website that shows failed coil. Doesnt look exploded to me.
Link2

klugesmith
Tue Jan 26 2016, 08:19PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Hi guys. It's nice to see active discussions and confirmations about instrumentation and modeling of inductive-repulsion shooters.

Kizmo wrote ...

Soon we will get much better velocity measurements! Im constructing laser and phototransistor based light gate setup where i can use oscilloscope for measuring time between two light beam crossings.

If your work coil has a hole through the middle, like Albi's, then the rising projectile can pull a short, lightweight stick/string/ribbon. The tail end can produce a nice linear stroke to measure, without any tumbling etc., in a place easy to shield from the magnetic field pulse. Good place for some cheap optointerrupters. You could sum the outputs of 5 or 10 or 20 to make a stairstep waveform for your oscilloscope. Could get even better spatial resolution by going analog. Progressively expose a long, narrow light source or detector. Or move an illuminated spot or slit (or projectile) that's optically imaged onto a position-sensitive linear detector.

1453838508 2099 FT170386 Oi

Kizmo wrote ...

I am moving towards using very large triggered spark gap switch so almost any voltage from 1kV and up will be doable. Any amount of current is doable.

Is there any benefit from it being electrically triggered? People who shrink coins etc. generally migrate to mechanically triggered switches or spark gaps (non-sticking). Easy to match the performance of any trigatron or solid state switch, except for controlling the exact time of the shot.

first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: