Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

5 MHz CW TC with PLL tracking oscillator

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Wed Oct 18 2006, 05:37PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
The worst 'drawback' of class E I found is it's sensitivity to change in load impedance (and reactance).

If I didn't let out a breakout on my little coil topload peak coltage would become enormous and coil would start drawing insane currents, burning most of power on the mosfet due to mismatch (heavy over-dampness). I would have to drastiically retune the coupling to make coil work like that and then I would get puny output with breakout point.

Winding HF coils like 'normal' coils probably isn't best practice at all (I had over 1k unloaded impedance), but that's what we got...

WaveRider
Fri Oct 20 2006, 09:49AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Hi Firkragg! 1k input impedance should not create problems, unless you risk "overvolting" your MOSFET. (BTW-how did you measure the impedance?) The problem is if you happen to start up near the series resonant frequency of the coupled coil...and particularly if your MOSFET is seeing a capacitive load reactance (which switching circuits do not like very much).
Large currents will result. (I've smoked a few MOSFETs verifying this theory! cry )

I've done some computations using a rigorous model that indicate that the highest fields are attained at the top of your coil between the series and parallel resonances. At the peak voltage point, the primary feedpoint will likely exhibit a fair bit of capacitive reactance...which, for the health of your MOSFET switch, is best to tune out using a matching network. See the bottom of my PLL tesla coil page where I try to continually add stuff..... (I couldn't resist giving my coil a name from Norse mythology...given the trend here at 4HV! wink )

Marko
Fri Oct 20 2006, 11:26AM
Unloaded impedance isn't measured, just roughly estimated using DC resistance and skin depth at my operating frequency.

I don't know wha is the real impedance when coil is loaded with CW spark though..

Too high impedance is always bad (bad Q factor = lower voltage rise, lots of heating in the secondary, etc).

I would just run it up with PLL and it would work unless I detune from class E (thn mosfet dies from overheating).

You can see more pix of the coil (with new secondary) here Link2
WaveRider
Fri Oct 20 2006, 12:15PM
How can you compute impedance from skin depth and dc resistance for a non-arcing coil? (Skin depth can give you the AC surface resistance of the windings, but nothing else..) You are modeling an inductively coupled resonant circuit.

If the input impedance is dominated by inductance (just below the parallel resonance), little current is drawn from the DC supply... If, on the other hand, you excite the series resonance, the low feedpoint impedance can cause excessive current to flow in the MOSFET drain...thereby smoking it. Somewhere in between generates the highest voltage in the coil.. I discuss in my PLL Tesla coil page that it seems that the "maximum spark" is obtained where the feedpoint impedance exhibits significant capacitive reactance (which puts strain on switching elements). Of course, the loading of the primary with any capacitance (MOSFET drain capacitance, parallel drain capacitor, for example) causes more capacitive reactance to appear as well as introducing a second resonance that can possibly kill mosfets.. I am putting together some computations that show the effects of this..

To stabilise things, some series inductance seems to be needed in the primary circuit.. As you see in my driver circuit, a variable parallel capacitance can be used in conjunction with a bit of extra series inductance to adjust for ideal match while the all-pass phase shift network can correct phase errors introduced by the matching network. I can freely dial up class E or class C operation and anywhere in between..
Marko
Fri Oct 20 2006, 08:41PM
Oh, stupid me ^
I see I nowhere mentioned that I used prsimary itself as a charging 'choke' instead of separate class E stage.

With big enogh decoupling cap it seems to work just as well.

AFAIK (sccording to r. burnett) when coil is tuned into resonance it's unloaded base impedance *is* just the AC resistance of windings, and it grows bigger when sparks load the coil.

I never had any serious 'out-of-tune' problems since coil seems to draw relatively little current no matter if it is higher or lower than resonance.
The 'capacitiveness' thing you are mentioning doesn't seem to be a problem at all as capacitance is very small and I don't think it will look like soemthing more than few hundred pf on the mosfet.

When I decide approximate number of primary turns the fun begins - lots of moving up-down and changing number of turns, until best mach and nicest class E waveform is acheived.
(toast for a 'scientific' approach ^^)

WaveRider
Sat Oct 21 2006, 09:17AM
Oh, stupid me ^
I see I nowhere mentioned that I used prsimary itself as a charging 'choke' instead of separate class E stage.
I figured I was missing a bit of info..

AFAIK (sccording to r. burnett) when coil is tuned into resonance it's unloaded base impedance *is* just the AC resistance of windings, and it grows bigger when sparks load the coil.
You are quite right...as long as we are talking about series-like resonance. Add in the effect of the coupling (primary) coil on secondary resonant frequencies and things become more complicated ..even more when we add capacitors/inductors to the primary circuit..

I never had any serious 'out-of-tune' problems since coil seems to draw relatively little current no matter if it is higher or lower than resonance.
The 'capacitiveness' thing you are mentioning doesn't seem to be a problem at all as capacitance is very small and I don't think it will look like soemthing more than few hundred pf on the mosfet.
The effect I am describing may or may not be a problem... Depends on many things (coupling, losses and loading, etc.) I just found it interesting to model and discover that the max voltage at the top of the coil may not necessarily occur at the "resonant" frequencies seen at the primary coil input terminals.

When I decide approximate number of primary turns the fun begins - lots of moving up-down and changing number of turns, until best mach and nicest class E waveform is acheived.
(toast for a 'scientific' approach ^^)

Yours is a perfectly good way to handle the coupling problem. As the coupling goes down, the capacitance effect decreases (as primary self-inductance begins to dominate). I designed my matching circuit as an attempt to transfer maximum power to the secondary while maintaining something close to class-E transistor switching (using a variable capacitor to vary the primary coupling). It seems to work... Yesterday, I ran the coil for two hours. The transistor was barely warm to the touch (I was using fan cooling.) The base of my coil did get a little bit warm, tho' not enough to hurt the PVC insulation or coil form...
Marko
Sat Oct 21 2006, 11:52AM
You are quite right...as long as we are talking about series-like resonance. Add in the effect of the coupling (primary) coil on secondary resonant frequencies and things become more complicated ..even more when we add capacitors/inductors to the primary circuit..

It's a base impedance, considered when secondary is unloaded and without the primary mess.

The base of your coil is getting warm because secondary is coupling capacitively to primary, causing heavy dielectric losses in PVC.

I melted the base of my first secondary that way, so I use a wide former-less primary wich is set higher to keep coupling same.
ragnar
Sun Oct 22 2006, 01:49AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
The base of my secondary gets hottest regardless of where the primary is. =P

It's probably something to do with that big copper plate I put there. wink wink
WaveRider
Mon Oct 23 2006, 07:20AM
Hi Firkragg and "balsamplack" cheesey

The lower windings of the coil get hot because the current near the base of the coil is maximum (can be amps to 10s of amps depending on power level, loading, etc..)

These HF coils behave a lot like a 1/4 wave transmission line which is open at the end and shorted at the other. Current is high at the shorted end (where the coil is connected to a "ground-plane" or faraday cage) and voltage is high at the open end..

I did some simulations here when I was attempting to get my Royer/Armstrong coils to work. (The primary geometry is a little bit different, but the resonator behaviour should be the same..) This plot shows the normalised coil current along the helix for a coil with no topload and the primary wound right at the base. It is highest at the base (0m) and small at the top (25m), therefore copper (ohmic) losses from the current are highest here...so the base gets hot!
WaveRider
Mon Nov 20 2006, 02:20PM
I have updated the original post with some field measurements after installing the driver board in an RF tight box.

I'm working on an audio-mod board. The circuit is based on the TL494 (similar to EVRs Plasmatronic driver).

Also, I have made some minor modifications to the PLL/driver circuit. I will post these to my web site in a couple of days.

first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: