All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC design guide

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Wolfram
Tue Mar 03 2015, 10:53AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Interesting about pure copper vs. treated copper. I will see what I can find and how much the difference is at the frequencies we work at. It could be it is just worth mentioning, but the effect is so little that its not worth worrying about.

True. The real life difference is quite minor. For my induction heating experiments I was looking for copper tubing with higher conductivity, but this turns out to be almost impossible to get, so there is no easy way to avoid this minor problem either.

In the DC bus capacitor chapter, you write "Voltage sharing between the two capacitors depends on their mutual ESR and ESL values." I would say that static voltage sharing only depends on the relative leakage currents of the capacitors. Voltage sharing when current is flowing also depends on the ratio of the capacitances. The voltage appearing across each capacitor in the dynamic case will also depend somewhat on ESR and ESL, but these parameters are more tightly matched between capacitors.

When the capacitance is large, it can sometimes be an advantage to have separate resistors for bleeding and voltage sharing, to minimize dissipation while still having a fast discharge time when the coil is powered down. The discharge resistor can also serve as a precharge resistor if you use a relay to switch it between the two different functions.

It's good that you include considerations about the RMS current rating of the capacitor, this is often overlooked.

A single phase active PFC can be placed after a three phase rectifier, and this will result in excellent power factor (theoretically up to 0.95 IIRC), as well as full compatibility with single phase input. I was researching this for a car charger project, and I was surprised at how good this solution was.

Do you know if anybody has tried RC snubbers in DRSSTCs? In other converters, I've had good success with these. By just adding capacitance across the bus, you're effectively lowering the characteristic impedance (and resonance frequency) of the bus, effectively making the stray resistance larger in comparison to get the required damping. Adding intentional resistance will often result in the same goal with much less capacitance.

Excellent stuff in general, and a lot of information I've not seen elsewhere. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Mads Barnkob
Wed Mar 04 2015, 09:01PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Wolfram wrote ...

In the DC bus capacitor chapter, you write "Voltage sharing between the two capacitors depends on their mutual ESR and ESL values."

Do you know if anybody has tried RC snubbers in DRSSTCs? In other converters, I've had good success with these. By just adding capacitance across the bus, you're effectively lowering the characteristic impedance (and resonance frequency) of the bus, effectively making the stray resistance larger in comparison to get the required damping. Adding intentional resistance will often result in the same goal with much less capacitance.

Excellent stuff in general, and a lot of information I've not seen elsewhere. Looking forward to the next chapter.

That sentence was quite contradictory to what I write just below about balancing resistors, so I changed it to only be about leakage current.

The R in RC snubbers is there to dampen the ringing, thus lowering the overall power loss in the capacitor, it is not really a big problem with our short average duty cycle. It would also have to be a carefully selected low inductance resistor, else we would risk just adding the inductance that we were fighting against in the first place. This is however properly only a problem with low power inverters, inductance of a resistor should not pose a problem in a huge bridge construction :)

The next chapter is ready, it is not that very long. It is about sizing the snubber capacitor according to bridge inductance or rules of thumb on selecting against primary peak current.: Link2
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jun 16 2015, 08:02AM
I added a FAQ to the design guide and so far it covers a selection of generic questions about skills, tools, size, cost and where to source parts: Link2

If you have a good question/answer to add to the FAQ, feel free to add it here.
kilovolt
Tue Jun 16 2015, 09:24AM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
Very nice work, Mad, thanks for your effort.
Just a detail: I don't think the CM600 IGBT-modules are cheaper than the CM300, are they?

Best regards
kilovolt
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jun 16 2015, 11:26AM
kilovolt wrote ...

Very nice work, Mad, thanks for your effort.
Just a detail: I don't think the CM600 IGBT-modules are cheaper than the CM300, are they?

Best regards
kilovolt

This is based entirely on my own purchases, I got a good deal on the CM600s and properly standard price on the CM300s, I added a little paragraph about it, it should only be an example and not a valuation list :) Always fight for those price knock-offs!
kilovolt
Tue Jun 16 2015, 02:32PM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
Ah okay, sorry, that makes sense! Hope you don't mind.

Best regards
kilovolt
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jul 05 2016, 08:42AM
Chapters Secondary coil (in review) and Topload (in review) are now in review and I welcome all feedback, criticism and correction of any mistakes, errors or mistyping I have made :)
nzoomed
Tue Jul 05 2016, 09:30PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Thanks for the update!
This has been a valuable source of information for new coil builders like me :)
Uspring
Thu Jul 07 2016, 11:55AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Mads, thank you for collecting all this useful information. Some comments:

The Qsec = 1/k rule maximises the power transfer to the secondary for a given primary current in a steady state situation. Deviations from this rule will lead to larger primary currents as power is fed from the bridge into the primary. In other words, arc loading will have less effect on limiting the primary current.
This situation is roughly similar to either a low coupling or bad tuning.

This has an effect on the choice of the primary tanks Z. Generally one would choose a high Z tank for a bridge with high voltage (e.g. full bridge) and low current capabilities and a low Z tank for the opposite. Low Z tanks are generally preferable, since they need less cycles to ramp up and the number of primary turns is lower, thus reducing resistance losses. The drawback of a low Z tank is, that the current limit of the bridge will be reached sooner unless it is limited by arc loading. This is where the proper choice of Qsec comes in. It will keep the current lower and allows for a lower Z primary.

In the table 2 listing of the pros and cons of high and low coupling, I think, that tuning is less critical with higher coupling. The poles, where the coils are run, are spread further apart and are less sensitive to the tuning.
Mads Barnkob
Wed Dec 12 2018, 12:17PM
It has been a very long time under way with the next chapter to go in review and it is the widely sought for: MMC design and calculations

You can read the article at: Link2 and to see it, the password is "test".

The reason for the password is to avoid google indexing and random visitors reading it before it has been reviewed by people with experience in the field.

This is where I need your help, there is most likely some spelling errors, bad sentences, does-not-make-any-sense chapters or calculations errors. Please reply to this thread about such findings for a discussion about it.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: