All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fake engine noise enhances driving experience?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Fri Jan 23 2015, 06:09PM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Just saw this article about how car-makers want to maintain the familiar sound of power, when the new engines don't rumble enough.
Link2
hen918
Sat Jan 24 2015, 05:56PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
ARGH....
I don't think anyone will be happy about that waste of precious resources. Then again, people with childlike minds (like boy racers) might appreciate it!
Ash Small
Sat Jan 24 2015, 07:21PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
You may as well just get a videogame.
Justin
Sat Jan 24 2015, 08:34PM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
This reminds me of when my dad put playing cards on my bicycle so they hit the spokes and made "engine" noises.

Dr. Slack
Sat Jan 24 2015, 09:17PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
You could even get a battery powered noise maker thing about the size of a torch to fit on your bike handlebars, ThundeROAR! I think it was called

<edit> doh, twat! of course it wasn't, it was called MotoROAR! </edit>
Chris Cristini
Wed Jan 28 2015, 02:42PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
I'm not sure about a rumble exhaust note I enjoy the sound from the M52 in my BMW it is like nothing I have ever driven before and the nice smooth power band through out the entire rev range is nice to. I have never had the pleasure of driving something one would call a muscle car but I would not want the horrible gas mileage that came with that. As far as a noise maker goes I feel that is like those fake exhaust tips GM used on the Cobalt SS it is crap and is not the way cars should be produced where is the quality?
GrantX
Fri Jan 30 2015, 05:46AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Chris Cristini wrote ...

I'm not sure about a rumble exhaust note I enjoy the sound from the M52 in my BMW it is like nothing I have ever driven before and the nice smooth power band through out the entire rev range is nice to. I have never had the pleasure of driving something one would call a muscle car but I would not want the horrible gas mileage that came with that. As far as a noise maker goes I feel that is like those fake exhaust tips GM used on the Cobalt SS it is crap and is not the way cars should be produced where is the quality?

Quality is hard to find these days, it would seem. My Dad owns a 1972 (HQ series) Holden Monaro GTS and even before restoration the 40-year-old motor was extremely reliable, despite guzzling petrol. The new 350 Chev crate motor was built primarily for reliability rather than power, same with the 5-speed manual transmission and the differential (Tremec and Detroit Locker respectively). The only "sound enhancement" required was a stainless steel twin exhaust system with long-tube headers and a single muffler on each side ;)

On the other hand, my 2010 Ford XR-6 (FG series) is already starting to fall apart at the seams. ALL the electronics are problematic: the audio system is barely functional, half the time it will work and the other half is silence interrupted by massive crackling interference. Even turning the audio system off won't stop the interference. Apparently the car has a computer that handles audio, climate control and pretty much everything. Ford has told me that replacement will cost around $2200-2500 AUD. The car eats batteries for breakfast, a new one is required every 18 months, apparently this is related to the destroyed audio system. Half the LEDs on each door's electric window controls are blown, for some mysterious reason. The screw holes for the plastic front bumper are broken on one side, so that side pokes out from the body panel by a centimeter or so. Even the interior plastic panels no longer line up exactly. And to top that off, the exhaust is now dying. A small rust hole has developed in one muffler, and a baffle has come loose in another muffler, resulting in a horridly loud metal-on-metal screech at certain RPM and throttle positions.

The drive train is still OK, thankfully. Except for the loose bushings in the diff, which causes some clunking at low speeds in low gears. And the synchro's in the Tremec 6-speed manual are slowly getting stiffer (I have no idea how that's possible, usually the shifter gets looser with time). At least the 4 liter straight-6 is still in good shape. The same motor was in an old work car, it was still running fine at 360,000kms.

When buying a new car, there seems to be 3 different paths. 1) Buy a cheap but fun car that is plagued with problems after a few years. 2) Buy a cheap car that is very small and underpowered, but reliable in the long term. 3) Spend over one hundred thousand and receive a car that is both fun and reliable, but replacement parts require a second mortgage.

I used to think Tesla coils and electronics was an expensive hobby. Until I saw the bill Dad received for getting the Monaro resprayed ;)
Ash Small
Fri Jan 30 2015, 01:15PM
Grant, is the XR6 engine derived from the old AJ6 engine?

XR6: Link2

AJ6: Link2

GrantX
Sat Jan 31 2015, 07:11AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Ash Small wrote ...

Grant, is the XR6 engine derived from the old AJ6 engine?

I'm honestly not sure, I imagine they do share a lot of similarities. I know that both motors have a reputation for durability and reliability.

More detailed information on Ford's modern straight-6 can be found here: Link2

And here's a comparison of the AJ6 and Barra 190: Link2

I guess it can be seen as an evolution of the earlier "Crossflow" motor, a 4.1L carburetted push-rod beast that was quite popular in its time. The motor in my car is the DOHC Barra 195, which has more than enough power for a daily-driven car. I must admit, the combination of a 6-speed manual and 4 litre straight-6 is very nice for highway cruising and the windy mountain roads where I live. If only the electronics and build quality could match the drive train :(
Ash Small
Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:42PM
I guess the 2002 twin cam engine was developed after Ford bought Jaguar in the nineties, and used what Ford had learned from the AJ6.

The AJ6 was developed during the eighties from the old twin cam XK engine which was developed in the fifties.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: