Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Type of SGTC?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Thu Oct 05 2006, 10:31AM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
hello, i made a few thoughts about sgtcs and i had a idea. why not combine a marx generator and a sgtc?
i thought about rectifying a 6kV 120mA transformer to charge a 2 stage marx bank up to 8kV . each stage consists of 5x wima mkp10 0,22 1600v, to get a capacitance of 44nF.. when the marx stage is charged the first spark gap triggers and both stages are in series for 22nF 16kV. what would happen if you connect a primary coil of an sgtc to the marx generator.when the primary is in resonance with the 22nF 16kV cap matching the resonant frequency of the secondary coil, very long bright sparks could be possible, okay only pulsed with 1-2bps or less but is it worth the effort? 22nF 16kV are 2,8 Joule bang energy and you can add more and more stages to get more voltage and energy... just a thought but would it work?
vasil
Thu Oct 05 2006, 11:55AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Greg Hunter did it.

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/marx.htm

I thought to this as a simple way to rise the voltage in a double MOT SGTC....never done though...
Reaching
Thu Oct 05 2006, 04:03PM
mhh, nice, are there any pics of the setup or pictures of the discharges? my thought was to rectify the output of the hv transformer to charge a big amount of caps and stages to get a very high voltage pulse,that should give plenty of power for a short time without having a huuge hv transformer..

but its a good idea to use the maximum capacitance the transformer can charge in a halfwave to charge the marx stages,..

and ahhm, what would happen if you use more marx stages to get say 50kV and not only 12 kv or so. a 50kv transformer is hard to get and i think nobody used one in a sgtc before with such a high voltage. so what would happen if you discharge a 50kv 20nF cap into a teslacoil circuit at resonance? cheesey
Marko
Thu Oct 05 2006, 05:06PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Problem is, that when using marx you again need to make a gap that will quench well at low voltages.

Rotary gap may help as well as turning marx inductors into charging reactors, etc.

HV Enthusiast
Thu Oct 05 2006, 05:18PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Keep in mind that the long discharges from a Tesla coil are the result of continually arcing (at high frequency >60Hz for example) through previously ionized spark channels.

If you run the system this way, you just aren't going to take advantage of this action. Also, voltage is not the only parameter in creating big arcs with a Tesla coil. Current is another one, and with a marx you just won't get the large energy transfer unless you use very big caps.

I personally don't see any advantage to this.
Reaching
Thu Oct 05 2006, 05:45PM
yeah i know, but whats about a drsstc in one shot mode, it does exactly the same,a long arc with the same lenght as you would usually get. so why not using a great amount of caps to get a high bang energy. the pulse would be really short i know but several yS are enough to build up a spark and let the secondary ring a few times like in a drsstc. i see no real advantage here for myself but why always so theoretical, lets try it out and see what happens.and a well build marx generator with good caps can have a high current rating, you get a short high voltage high current pulse for around 100ys or so, that can ring up a secondary coil with 100khz 10 times, more than enough to ionize the air and build up a spark.
the only problem i see is the resistance of the spark gaps, this will reduce the maximum current flow
J. Aaron Holmes
Thu Oct 05 2006, 07:10PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
One of the (related) thoughts I had a little while ago was to use Terry's SISG as the basis for an "off-line" Marx generator, operating at voltages below where a SG-based Marx could operate. Such a thing might be the basis for an OLTC.

To avoid major timing issues, the total output of the SISG-based Marx would probably have to be less than or equal to the voltage of any single IGBT. Thus a three-stage SISG Marx based on 1200V IGBTs ought to be able to easily take in 300V and output 900V, becoming a voltage tripler.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
HV Enthusiast
Thu Oct 05 2006, 08:12PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

yeah i know, but whats about a drsstc in one shot mode, it does exactly the same,a long arc with the same lenght as you would usually get.

Not really. Single-shots are almost always shorter than continuous operation.
teravolt
Fri Oct 06 2006, 04:42AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
an idea I had would be to make a PFN with a thyratron or scr. if the PFN has a pulse width equal to 1/2 cycle of the primary resonsnce the tesla should ring like bell. a thyratron or SCR should be able to do 1khz.
Electroholic
Fri Oct 06 2006, 11:54AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Thyratron eh?
Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: