Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Component specs for pulse discharge devices

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 03 2006, 01:02AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
For all of you who have coin shrinkers and disc launchers:

what are the specs for your SCRs and capacitors?
To what voltage (or percentage of the caps max) do you normally charge your capacitors before discharging?

I am just curious...
Steve Ward
Tue Oct 03 2006, 01:57AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I havent seen a coin shrinker that uses an SCR switch. The typical current is around 100kA peak, and the di/dt is fairly high (the discharge may ring in the 10s of khz). The voltage typically needs to be around 10-20kV, most SCRs dont fit the bill.

As to what percentage the caps are charged to would *Greatly* depend on the type of capacitor. Pulse caps intended for the use have a lifetime vs voltage reversal rating. If you are planning on lytics or something else, i hope they are cheap, because there is almost no telling what abuse they can take. Ive taken my 5kJ maxwell pulse cap up to 100% many times, though its nominal rating is for 20% reversal. I dont plan on using it for 10,000 shots, but i also dont know its previous use.
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 03 2006, 02:10AM
If SCRs don't handle the current do most of you use some kind of manual switch with an isolated contact?
Simon
Tue Oct 03 2006, 03:35AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
A comment about this thread has been made here.

Would you please be a little clearer and specific on what this thread is about? From my understanding, "Pulse Discharges: How far do you push your component ratings?" seems to be the question. Is that right?
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 03 2006, 04:49AM
I guess, Simon, that would be a better way to describe the question. For the record, most of my questions are simply to learn what others have done. I actually do not have the time or the desire to duplicate what others have done and mess with such voltages. I am just curious what board members here have done for themselves and not "how to build one myself."

As for the thread, it starts off by asking about specs (voltage ratings, current ratings) for components intended for high voltage projects and not plans for the construction of specific devices. I go further to ask how far people on this board "push" these specs. The "coin shrinking" and "launchers" are merely examples of high voltage devices that I thought might use these components. I could have just as well asked about EMPs.

With regard to the comment, I guess I'll just google for "how far do you push your capacitors" and see what comes up next time.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: