All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lost technology

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
dexter
Wed Nov 05 2014, 07:37PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
hen918 wrote ...

Conundrum wrote ...

The field would actually be quite weak (ie microamps) but steady and possible to generate from a simple hand wound device broadly similar to a flywheel, powering the light for several hours while the flywheel slowly wound down.

I don't think they had the bearing technology to allow flywheels to spin for any appreciable length of time (certainly not several hours)

the historians say that by the time the pyramids were built the Egyptians didn't even had wheal technology... but what do they know... the conspiracy theorists and the scandal media would come with a "special" material that they'll say was widely known to Egyptians or at least possible known that would enable bearing like technology to work without actually being a wheel...

joking aside... this thread had derailed so much that it should be moved to any random conspiracy forum out there... i'm not going to post any more replies on this thread because i don't want to cause a meaningless fight over personal beliefs regarding ancient civilizations..

Conundrum
Thu Nov 06 2014, 07:16AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Not so sure, there have been some intriguing ideas raised.
Certainly the "popular" explanation for the lack of carbon black in the Pyramids is that mirrors were used and this has been tested and found not to work.
Some sort of GITD mineral is also feasible and over time the natural source would have been depleted in a similar way to ancient gold mines and other resources.

Last time I checked ZnS occurs naturally in some places and a fluke of geology could have allowed ZnS:x where x is a metal like copper to form in some long forgotten cave somewhere.
This would glow nicely once charged up and provided you had the "secret" ie keeping it dry it would last for decades.

Some of the ideas could well be testable and maybe Mythbusters would take them on?

nb: Link2

Also worth considering, a lot of our technology may be just as incomprehensible if found a few thousand years from now, a microSD chip with "32GB" inscribed on it would be totally unusable but clearly "the work of an advanced civilization" and items like valves would obviously not work either due to gas/cracking/etc.

If we ever do find any evidence that the ancient Egyptians had light bulbs or vacuum tubes they will probably have been filed under "Unknown" in some forgotten drawer in a museum somewhere.
The tendency of a conquering army to destroy what they can't pillage is indeed unfortunate as many artifacts would have thus been melted down for the gold etc.

"I don't think they had the bearing technology to allow flywheels to spin for any appreciable length of time (certainly not several hours)"

You sure about that? Its not hard to make a basic low friction bearing using jewels such as sapphire (hard wearing) and a point which would have been trivial using etching of a hard metal such as bronze.
I did actually toy with the idea of making a clock from scratch just for fun, and seeing if a simple electric mechanism would be more accurate than a mechanical one ie using carborundum negative resistance to drive the oscillator.
To make a basic drive coil without enameled wire is actually easy if you use beeswax impregnated thin paper, and a multilayer coil with say 1mm wire wouldn't be that large.
Lodestone for the rotating magnet and a few other trinkets and it would rival the accuracy of Harrison's "H3" with no troublesome mechanical tolerances to mess things up smile
BigBad
Fri Nov 07 2014, 12:50AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
"lack of carbon black in the Pyramids" -reliable source?
Shrad
Fri Nov 07 2014, 09:41AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
BigBad wrote ...

I think they had a look at the ceilings...
Conundrum
Sat Nov 08 2014, 09:27AM
Still, making a clock using no off the shelf parts and components available 1000 years ago would be interesting to say the least.
Sulaiman
Sat Nov 08 2014, 09:52AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Wikipedia Link2
Egyptian clocks from as far back as 3500 BCE
Conundrum
Sun Nov 09 2014, 08:37AM
Cool.
Wonder if Moissanite was ever found in Egypt?
If there were mined out deposits then things could get very interesting.
BigBad
Sun Nov 09 2014, 10:13PM
Shrad wrote ...

BigBad wrote ...

No, I looked into it a bit, apparently people in modern times, have been doing this amazing thing called 'cleaning' the ceilings.

Also the pyramids weren't used for extended habitation anyway, so you wouldn't expect huge amounts of carbon black to be there.

I ask again, where's the reliable source on this?
Shrad
Mon Nov 10 2014, 10:16AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
BigBad wrote ...

Shrad wrote ...

BigBad wrote ...

No, I looked into it a bit, apparently people in modern times, have been doing this amazing thing called 'cleaning' the ceilings.

Also the pyramids weren't used for extended habitation anyway, so you wouldn't expect huge amounts of carbon black to be there.

I ask again, where's the reliable source on this?

I'd expect black patches under the places where they would have stayed for some minutes... if there were rituals, they would have make lighting stand at some places at least when awaiting for some action to take place

If you stay with a torch under a ceiling at least one minute your wife will tear you apart whatever the reason ;)

Anyway, nothing would be sure for something having occured that far in the past...
BigBad
Mon Nov 10 2014, 10:20PM
Apparently they usually used little teapot-shaped oil lamps with wicks for lighting.

Link2

Effectively, they're a bit like candles. Candles do not blacken ceilings very quickly at all.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: