Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Low Voltage Capacitor ETG

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
hen918
Sun Nov 02 2014, 12:55PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
You have to be very careful with hydrogen and oxygen; under pressure they can spontaneously combust, leave them at RTP or below.

You need everything as strong as possible (better over-engineered than under-engineered); I would use 12.9 bolts, they are hardly more expensive than 8.8 ones, and a lot stronger.
spectre
Sun Nov 02 2014, 01:08PM
spectre Registered Member #42773 Joined: Sun Jan 12 2014, 03:38PM
hen918 wrote ...

You have to be very careful with hydrogen and oxygen; under pressure they can spontaneously combust, leave them at RTP or below.

You need everything as strong as possible (better over-engineered than under-engineered); I would use 12.9 bolts, they are hardly more expensive than 8.8 ones, and a lot stronger.

That was what i meant with 0.5 bar. On a pressure gauge set to 0 at normal the oxygen/hydrogen mix would read -0.5 bar

reason for 8.8 was that is our standard bolt, but yeah 12.9 is better... would making the blast chamber and barrel from titanium be worth the hassle of machining? it is not that expensive as a material, it is the machining that jacks the price up. (b*tch to work with)
hen918
Sun Nov 02 2014, 01:23PM
Oh I know, I'm a maintenance engineer that works in a company that machines titanium, nimonic, stainless, aluminium and brass for aerospace. The machines that breakdown most often are the ones that often machine titanium. Everyone moans when they get a job in titanium.

I don't think titanium would be worth, it stainless steel would probably be best: not too difficult to work with, not too expensive. The last thing you need is a titanium fire!
Shrad
Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:09PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
if I was to make an ETG propelling charge, I'd use a tab of aluminium dipped in some kind of wetting agent which would leave only a pellicul, then dip it in sulfur powder and either dry or bake gently to make it stick (at safe, 50°C temp I'd say, but take care to verify it won't self-ignite)

this will make the same result as a flash powder mix if you have made sure to get the right ratio

maybe a dip in Fe2O3 would also prove to be of some use ;) and you'd be able to stock it safely
hen918
Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:21PM
hummm, thermite ETG, interesting...
Thomas W
Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:26PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Hmm, this might be a little over complex... but what about this:

Bore out a barrel in stainless steel, then insert a strong ceramic tube inside, drilling holes in the bottom of the barrel for electrodes and a magnatron end. Fill up the tube with aluminium fileings and activate the magnatron, causing all those bits of aluminium to heat up, possibly even close to the plasma stage, then dischage your energy into there. The ceramic would be needed to keep anything from shorting out.... Its just an interesting idea.
spectre
Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:30PM
spectre Registered Member #42773 Joined: Sun Jan 12 2014, 03:38PM
Shrad wrote ...

if I was to make an ETG propelling charge, I'd use a tab of aluminium dipped in some kind of wetting agent which would leave only a pellicul, then dip it in sulfur powder and either dry or bake gently to make it stick (at safe, 50°C temp I'd say, but take care to verify it won't self-ignite)

this will make the same result as a flash powder mix if you have made sure to get the right ratio

maybe a dip in Fe2O3 would also prove to be of some use ;) and you'd be able to stock it safely

So, by using Fe2O3 on aluminium, i will be igniting and plasma-ing(?) thermite? sounds fun, will give that a go.

how about gun cotton?

to make it clear, this is a fact finding and ideas thread, i will start a build and fire thread when the parts are ready.
is there interest for a build thread, or do you guys just want to see things being shot?
and if a build thread, how detailed?
Shrad
Sun Nov 02 2014, 08:23PM
I guess the vaporization of the aluminium pad will also vaporize the deposit it holds, and that the reaction occuring between aluminium and the other product will be catalysed by vaporisation and pressure buildup...

another go would be to make a barrel bottom out of ceramid and a separate barrel, with electrodes at the bottom of the barrel cup, and ram flash or thermite powder in the cup to replace the fuse
hen918
Sun Nov 02 2014, 09:36PM
sounds like this ETG will end up shooting iron vapour. I'd like to see it!
The thermite reaction does not release any gas though, so it wouldn't accelerate the projectile much, and you would have to use a non-oxygen gas to stop it reacting with the aluminium instead of the iron oxide.
Shrad
Mon Nov 03 2014, 08:25AM
haha I guess you're right

as far as I know, the flash powder mix will release a decent amount of gas when used with KNO3 or KMnO4 due to the oxygen, so I guess that the aluminium pad can be dipped in KNO3 paste before it is in sulfur...

do not try this with KMnO4
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: