All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Radioactive spikes from nuclear plants - a likely cause of childhood leukemia

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sun Oct 05 2014, 07:40AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
from memory;
parts of Iran have natural background radiation >200 mSv/year
and Leukemia occurence is not abnormally high.
Bored Chemist
Sun Oct 05 2014, 09:29AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
BigBad wrote ...

On the contrary, one of the main causes of leukemia will be background radiation...
If that was true then leukaemia incidence would be strongly correlated with background radiation.
It isn't, so it isn't (as Sulaiman has pointed out).
About 80% of the risk of leukaemia (in the UK) isn't due to background radiation.
Link2

Since we know that 80% of the risk isn't due to background radiation, it's a bit silly to say that background radiation is the cause.
It's even sillier to say that peaks in that background are " a likely" cause of leukaemia.

Ash Smalls "+1" comment on something which isn't objectively true says a lot about how much discussion this subject is ruled by emotion, rather than fact.

Uspring
Sun Oct 05 2014, 11:37AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Bored chemist wrote:
Leo Kinlen, an epidemiologist based at the University of Oxford, UK, has long argued that sites such as nuclear power stations and military bases may be more likely to host leukaemia clusters because of the relatively high population turnover in those areas.
Yes, but speculative. For strange correlations see Link2
Sulaiman wrote:
One could speculate here, that a genetic predisposition for leukemia on top of the elevated radiation would tend to weed out leukemia favorable genes. In effect people living there might be radiation hardened.
Is it realistic to say that brief spikes that are only about ten times more radioactive than piss are really the cause of anything?
Dunno if your dosimetry is correct. Some quick calculation: A typical natural 2mSv/a background amounts to about 400 Bq /kg body mass. If you would put 1kg body mass inside a 1km radius cloud of 1 MBq/m³ the dose received would be about 10 MBq, i.e. 25000 times background rate. This is based on soilid angle arguments. Now I assumed, that all impinging radiation would be stopped in the body mass and also a big cloud without air attenuation effects, but for a ballpark this might hold. Much better would be a direct measurement.
Ash Small
Sun Oct 05 2014, 12:13PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

Ash Smalls "+1" comment on something which isn't objectively true says a lot about how much discussion this subject is ruled by emotion, rather than fact.

The +1 was specifically for the second statement BB made, ie:

BigBad wrote ...

The assumption that background radiation is completely harmless is obviously false.

Which I assume you'll agree with wink

(Maybe I should have made this clearer, though.)
Steve Conner
Sun Oct 05 2014, 01:06PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
BigBad wrote ...

On the contrary, one of the main causes of leukemia will be background radiation. The assumption that background radiation is completely harmless is obviously false.

No, it's not obviously false. Nor is it obviously true. It's tentative, as there's not enough experimental data to test it. (where is the control group of people that were never exposed to any radiation whatsoever?)

Arguments over whether nuclear power is "safe" are mostly arguments over the validity of this hypothesis. But scientific hypotheses are proven or disproven by experiment, not debate.

Personally I would think that opening a nuclear reactor and letting all of the gaseous decay products out in one go is a little sketchy. :-/
Bored Chemist
Sun Oct 05 2014, 04:03PM
Uspring wrote ...

Bored chemist wrote:
Leo Kinlen, an epidemiologist based at the University of Oxford, UK, has long argued that sites such as nuclear power stations and military bases may be more likely to host leukaemia clusters because of the relatively high population turnover in those areas.
Yes, but speculative. For strange correlations see Link2
Sulaiman wrote:
One could speculate here, that a genetic predisposition for leukemia on top of the elevated radiation would tend to weed out leukemia favorable genes. In effect people living there might be radiation hardened.
Is it realistic to say that brief spikes that are only about ten times more radioactive than piss are really the cause of anything?
Dunno if your dosimetry is correct. Some quick calculation: A typical natural 2mSv/a background amounts to about 400 Bq /kg body mass. If you would put 1kg body mass inside a 1km radius cloud of 1 MBq/m³ the dose received would be about 10 MBq, i.e. 25000 times background rate. This is based on soilid angle arguments. Now I assumed, that all impinging radiation would be stopped in the body mass and also a big cloud without air attenuation effects, but for a ballpark this might hold. Much better would be a direct measurement.

Well, my dosimetry can't be wrong- because I didn't do any.
I pointed out that the activity Bq/m^3 of these "plumes" is only roughly 10 fold higher than typical urine.

However, since you raise the issue, these plumes are gases emitting predominantly alpha and beta radiation. They are noble gases and therefore not well retained in the body.
So only the small fraction of that plume that is within a few cm of the body (the range of the alphas and betas in air) can have any effect. A typical human has an area of the order of a square metre and so they are only subject to radiation from something like a twentieth of a cubic metre of air (for a range of 5 cm).
So the MBq/m^3 that could "hit" someone gets scaled down to about 0.2 MBq

And even then, clothing will reduce that dose something like 10 fold.
So they will actually get hit by a few tens of thousands of particles per second.
Most of those are stopped by the epidermis and so can't possibly contribute to leukaemia.

On the other hand, a person is roughly a tenth of a cubic metre and is roughly as radioactive as their urine so they are subject to the radiation from about 0.01 MBq but, since all that radiation is produced inside the body, there's no skin or clothing taking the hit.
The net outcome is that about 10 times more energetic particles impact the body from within than from one of those "scary" clouds.

Your calculation, as you acknowledge, doesn't include air attenuation.
The problem is that you are saying all the radiation from a 1 km range will hit (if it's in the right direction)
That's absurd; most of them will be stopped by air.
For the alphas and betas it's wrong by about 4 or 5 orders of magnitude. There's not really enough information to be specific about the gammas but I'd still bet on about 3 orders of magnitude.

And, if you like, I will add the activity from carbon 14.

Uspring
Sun Oct 05 2014, 06:02PM
Bored Chemist wrote:
However, since you raise the issue, these plumes are gases emitting predominantly alpha and beta radiation.
I'm very much in doubt, that there are alpha emitting fission products, but you are right about beta decays.
85Kr is the only longer living noble gas fission product I found after a quick search and indeed this particular one decays almost exclusively to the ground state of the daughter nucleus and not to an excited state, which would also imply gamma emission. Very unusual.

EDIT:I haven't found any info on what nuclides constitute the plume. Volatile candidates might be 133Xe and 131I. I also didn't find the decay scheme of 133Xe, but 131I decays with gamma emission. Both nuclides decay within days, so whether they are freed during refuelling depends on the time between the last fission event and refuelling.

Gammas can travel about 100m in air, so that the volume that contributes to the dose can be of the order of that size. That would reduce my estimate by a factor of 10. Still a big spike.

Bored Chemist
Sun Oct 05 2014, 08:40PM
I'm betting that 222Rn is part of the story, and it's an alpha emitter.
133 Xe is a beta source
131I (beta and gamma) isn't a noble gas, so they shouldn't be counting that.
However as you say, the data isn't well documented on that page.
85Kr is indeed a beta & gamma source.
If the range is 100 m rather than 1 km that means that the rays from 1000 times more particles can reach you since the number scales as the volume. I will need to sit + think about how that affects the actual dose received because most of the more distant ones would "miss" you anyway.
Then there's the fact that many or most people are usually inside buildings which may offer significant screening.

The biggest issue with trying to make these sorts of judgements is that we don't have the raw data- just a single sensationalist graph.
It is also complicated by the fact that to a large extent, only the gammas have an effect from the outside because, even if they get through the air, the alphas and betas are stopped by the skin.
On the other hand, most of the exposure to internal radiation is from the alphas and betas.
I still don't think those peaks are as significant as they first look.
If the effect is due to some critical time period during gestation then it should be easy to spot by looking at refuelling dates and dates of birth of children affected but remember that the mother offers significant shielding from external radiation.
Uspring
Mon Oct 06 2014, 11:51AM
I'm betting that 222Rn is part of the story, and it's an alpha emitter.
It's not a fission product. Conceivably it might be generated by neutron capture and/or alpha decays from uranium. It does play a major role in natural radiation exposure.
133 Xe is a beta source
Yes, but I couldn't find a reference about whether it also emits gammas. Most beta emitters do. Did you find a ref?
If the range is 100 m rather than 1 km that means that the rays from 1000 times more particles can reach you since the number scales as the volume. I will need to sit + think about how that affects the actual dose received because most of the more distant ones would "miss" you anyway.
Consider a sphere with the radius r around the target of radiation and a layer of thickness dr on the surface of the sphere. Its volume is 4*pi*r^2*dr. The activity in it will be proportional to this volume.
The probability of hitting the target with a surface area of A will be about A/4*pi*r^2. This makes the rate of hitting the target proportional to the product of these terms i.e. A*dr. So the amount of radiation will be proportional to the radius of the cloud.
To correct my first estimate of a factor of 25000 above background: One factor of ten due to attenuation effects. One factor of 2 because I was calculating with a spherical cloud instead of a hemisphere. Maybe another factor of 2 since not everywhere in the cloud there will be the peak activity value. A more realistic estimate is then 25000/40 or about 500, close to the estimate from the original article. This is a lot more than the factor of 10 you assumed. Basically this implies receiving a yearly dose within a day.

Bored Chemist
Mon Oct 06 2014, 07:39PM
I don't think there's some big cloud of that gas anyway.
If you were to measure the concentration of radioactive material anywhere other than at the chimney itself, the result would depend more on the wind direction than on the activity in the plant.
So those figures are almost certainly measured in the stack. (Once again, it would be nice if the data were actually presented in the web page)

A major point of a chimney stack - whether it's on a nuclear plant or a conventional one- is to ensure that the fumes are diluted massively before they reach the ground.
So, unless there's a maternity unit mounted on top of the chimney...
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: