All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Brushless motors-how many poles?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 02 2014, 09:15AM Print
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi all

You probably know that the brushless motors used in RC models have a different number of poles on the rotor than the stator. For example, one motor has 12 coils and 12 pole pieces on the stator, but the rotor has 14 magnets. The purpose of this is to make the torque smoother. If every pole piece could align with a magnet at once, this would cause a huge torque ripple (also referred to as detent torque or cogging)

My question is, since the rotor and stator have different pole numbers, which one do you use to calculate the speed? Put another way, if I removed 2 magnets from the above motor (and redistributed the remaining ones evenly) would the synchronous speed stay the same, or would it increase by a factor of 14/12?
Marko
Sat Aug 02 2014, 01:30PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi Steve

To my understanding it is the stator pole number that determines the speed of rotating magnetic field, and hence synchronous speed and you shouldn't be able to change this by adding magnets to rotor. You could get a rotor with just 2 magnets rotate at the same synchronous speed; however it's torque would be low and ripple atrocious.

Marko
Erlend^SE
Sun Aug 03 2014, 09:51PM
Erlend^SE Registered Member #1565 Joined: Wed Jun 25 2008, 09:08PM
I would expect there to be a 2:3 ratio.

2 due to two possible poles, and 3 due to 3 phase.

Anyone got some more specific details?
Electroholic
Mon Aug 04 2014, 03:37PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
There are also different winding arrangements, RLK and DRLK.

Edit
Wiki links to this page Link2 ,could make for good bed time reading.
BigBad
Tue Aug 05 2014, 02:11AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
I think the two patterns spatially form a Moire fringe, so that it would (off-hand) be 14/12 different frequency.

Moiré pattern

As you can see in some of the diagrams, Moire patterns have a magnifying effect, and that's also why they're used here.

In Moire patterns it's more to do with the difference in the number of poles; if one is 14 and the other is 12, they will line up at 2 places (or is it 4, I need to think about it more carefully, I think it's 4 because they're dipoles); it's where they line up and around that they generate the most torque. In effect by having different numbers of poles you're generating pseudo poles that are much bigger and that reduces the torque ripple.
Steve Conner
Tue Aug 05 2014, 08:55AM
This article Link2 suggests that with 12 stator poles and 14 magnets, the rotor turns at 1/7 of the stator frequency, not 12/14. For each complete revolution of the stator field, the rotor moves on by one magnet pair.

This is quite different to a classical synchronous machine, it reminds me more of a stepper motor.
Ash Small
Tue Aug 05 2014, 09:49AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
If you get a double pole, double throw switch, (or is it three phase?...you'll need three) you can connect it (them) up and, by toggling, you can simulate the driver at a speed you can watch.

I used two for playing around with stepper motors to check I had everything correct.

(I'm still on my first coffee this morning (late night), hope this makes sense)
Dr. Slack
Tue Aug 05 2014, 10:33AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Look at it this way.

After one complete electrical cycle of winding drive, the armature will be in the same magnetic position again, by symmetry.

As there are 7 pole pairs, the armature must have advanced n/7ths of a turn.

If each coil is driven with a waveform whose cycle consists of two opposite peaks with a monotonic change between each (striving to keep the drive waveform no more specified than is absolutely necessary) then n cannot be other than one.
Steve Conner
Tue Aug 05 2014, 01:11PM
I can't argue with that, but I also find it non-intuitive that the answer is independent of the number of poles in the stator winding.

The article said that due to a different winding configuration, the stator doesn't generate a rotating magnetic field like in a classical polyphase motor. It is a pulsating magnetic field and the 3 pole pairs act like 3 independent single phase machines. So adding pole pairs (triplets, sextuplets, whatever) to the stator doesn't change the speed, it just increases the torque.
Dr. Slack
Tue Aug 05 2014, 02:39PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Consider a 14 pole rotor, with just 2 coils spaced a half pole-pitch (quarter magnetic cycle) apart somewhere on the circumference. Quadrature drive to these coils will rotate the rotor 1/7th turn per cycle.

Add another pair of coils somewhere else round the circle. If they're n/7ths the way round, you can drive them with the same phases, and get double the torque, but it doesn't improve the cogging. Put them other than 1/7ths round, cogging is reduced, but they need to be driven with a different phase for best efficiency.

Whether these coil pairs are pulsing, or creating a sparsely sampled rotating magnetic field is a question of semantics. As you add more coils pairs to populate the whole circle, more samples of this rotating field make it look more and more just like a rotating field.

The answer is independent of the number of coils, because the fixed rotor magnet configuration determines the shape of the field the coils and their appropriately phased drive waveforms has to produce.

Of course all this above is just designing a motor starting from hints. Have you got a picture of the offending parts, and scope traces of the drive waveforms?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: