All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Subtraction of light polluted skies and vignetting from star-images

Move Thread LAN_403
Bjørn
Fri Sept 15 2006, 09:17PM Print
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
This is a simple and probably very old trick but it is quite useful to know.

This is the original picture, not many stars are visible and the colour is bad.
1158353852 27 FT1630 Original

This is what we get if we try to adjust the brightness and contrast, since the light pollution and vignetting is uneven it is hopeless to get a good result.
1158353852 27 FT1630 Adjust

What we need to do is to subtract the sky and the vignetting before we adjust the contrast and brightness. We do that by replacing every pixel in the image with the median of the pixels around it to remove the stars.
1158353852 27 FT1630 Median

Then we subtract that from the original and adjust the brightness and contrast. Now we get many more more stars and useful colours.
1158353852 27 FT1630 Processed
HV Enthusiast
Fri Sept 15 2006, 10:16PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yep, this is known as creating an "artificial flat." In fact there are many advanced programs out there (mostly free) that will do this for you with great results. They mostly were developed for microscopic type work, but work equally well in this application.

You can also get much better results by creating a true flat. Easy way to do this is to take a photo (exposing so histogram is centered) of a uniform section of white wall (in your home) or of the sky just prior to dark, and then use this as a master flat frame.

Here is an photo (unfinished at this time) that I was working on last year. There was a huge light pollution gradient which I spent a lot of time removing (manually) by using an artificial gradient mask. The sky came out really nice and it worked very well, but my mask was quick and dirty so the trees look a bit rough from the processing.

1158358561 15 FT16149 Dipper01

1158358561 15 FT16149 Dipper02
AndrewM
Sat Sept 16 2006, 12:40AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
why would you want to take a photo of the wall, why not just make a uniformly white picture on the computer? to reduce CCD noise? If so, that doesn't seem to be what bjorn is getting at.
Bjørn
Sat Sept 16 2006, 01:36AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Subtracting a picture of something flat will remove the vignetting from the lens where it is darker in the corners. It will not help so much for the CCD or CMOS sensor noise because you need to use the same exposure length and same temperature to get a good effect.

Most good cameras can do dark field subtraction with great results by automatically subtracting a second picture taken with the shutter closed. The downside is that it takes twice as long so in some cases it is better to do it manually.
AndrewM
Sat Sept 16 2006, 01:51AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
ah, gotcha...
HV Enthusiast
Sat Sept 16 2006, 03:29AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

Most good cameras can do dark field subtraction with great results by automatically subtracting a second picture taken with the shutter closed. The downside is that it takes twice as long so in some cases it is better to do it manually.

And especially when doing astrophotography when good imaging nights are far and few between, you don't want to waste half your night with the in camera dark field subtration / reduction routine.

I'll usually shoot my darks on different nights (with same temperature, exposure length), or merely shoot them (usually 5-10 which are averaged) while i'm packing up for the night or on the drive home. Plus, i now have a library of various darks over different exposures / temperatures which I use instead of taking new ones.

Also, some programs, such as Images Plus have the capability to perform Synthetic Dark frames and adaptive dark frame algorithms.

All this talk has got me excited to go out and do some more imaging. I missed last winter due to my Tesla activities, but i want to get out and re-image M42 and the Horsehead nebula using my new Canon 20Da camera.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite objects in the sky, the Double Cluster. Definitely a beautiful gem in the sky!

1158377342 15 FT16149 Doublecluster01

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: