Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thermite "bricks"

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hon1nbo
Mon Feb 03 2014, 10:41PM Print
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
All,

I have been trying to make a Thermite "brick." I don't like measuring raw powder every time I destroy a drive or cast some metal, so I'd like to make some standard size cubes or similar of thermite.
So far I have looked at some various recipes online, most of which involve plaster of paris. I tried a plaster cube, and I could not for the life of me get the cube of thermite to ignite, even with powdered thermite burning on top of it!
I'm thinking that the various binders are preventing an interaction between the iron oxide and aluminum powder.

Does anyone here have some suggestions for making a solid piece of thermite? Are there any binders that won't prevent the oxidation of the aluminum at a reasonable (relative to normal thermite) starting temperature?

-Jimmy
Shrad
Tue Feb 04 2014, 06:47AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
parafin

I'd wet the mix with liquid paraffin and stirr till it has the consistency of a paste (inside a bowl placed in a container with very hot water so it doesn't solidify, like you'd do with rocket fuel but at a lower temperature)
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 04 2014, 01:13PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've never played with thermite but Chemistry used to be a hobby of mine,
I would think that ready-mixed thermite has a risk of spontaneous combustion if moist/damp, which could be disasterous.
Shrad
Tue Feb 04 2014, 04:00PM
hence paraffin, and a poper mix with glycerin or something might event make it plastic
Wastrel
Tue Feb 04 2014, 05:53PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
Anything that produces volatiles is going to be a problem. I would bake the oxide, mix when cool and portion into heat seal mylar bags. They will have a lifespan, but then all aluminium powder goes bad eventually.
Hon1nbo
Wed Feb 05 2014, 06:22PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I've never played with thermite but Chemistry used to be a hobby of mine,
I would think that ready-mixed thermite has a risk of spontaneous combustion if moist/damp, which could be disasterous.

Well, I tend to use coarser powders that require more ignition resources, though admittedly I did try some finer powder for this when the first batch failed. Nice thing about standard thermite is that unless you have ultra-fine powder it is very hard to light, which makes it relatively safe to handle (key word relatively).
I have never heard of it being more dangerous damp except when actually burning at which point it is practically explosive, but I always treat my thermite reactions like they might explode after a rock that was obscured under a batch fractured violently and caused a serious problem. Also, by the time I intend to light these they will have been dried out.
Is there a particular effect on standard thermite when wet that occurs when not already under ignition conditions?

@Shrad

I might have to try paraffin in my next batch.

@Wastrel

As for baking, I'm not sure how that would work. Does the oxide exhibit some kind of cohesive properties when heated? would it stay intact when cooled? Now that you mention mylar bags I could use a bag that evaporated off.

-Jimmy
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 05 2014, 08:27PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
What kind of bag wouldn't evaporate off with thermite ? cheesey

I have no specific. info. on thermite/damp, just that air+moisture = electrolyte between reactive molecules.
Wastrel
Wed Feb 05 2014, 08:35PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
Baking just to dehydrate the oxide. I understand volatiles make the reaction badly behaved.
Shrad
Wed Feb 05 2014, 09:17PM
baking can be the starting point for dropping some paraffin and gently stir till it becomes pasty, then mold in some yoghurt pots or something...
radiotech
Mon Feb 17 2014, 09:20PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
I don't know why you want a brick of Thermite, so I am assuming is it to hold or mold a charge
to a task.

I used to construct copper ground networks out of 000 GA bare stranded wire.
The powder was poured into graphite molds which came in various shapes , X, T, Join,
or Face Bond (to weld the wire onto an iron surface)

The blocks were about 3 x 3 x 7 inch, had a handle, and a hole in the top to ignite.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: