Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ELF detectors

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Dec 15 2013, 03:48PM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Link2

Just found this, check out the guy's homemade AM antennas.

Finally, a use for all those dead toroid and AM antenna bits I couldn't bear to throw away.

Link2

I think this guy is onto something, a lot of research into wireless power transfer assumes that a small antenna simply cannot work but in fact if it is properly made the efficiency is actually higher than conventional knowledge predicts.

Also a worthwhile method of boosting the efficiency of an AM detector is the use of LED based varicaps, as 10 blue LEDs in inverse parallel can have as much as a 500pF dC/dV and thus allow a very simple microcontroller based circuit to tune from 30 to 600 kHz.

-A
Ash Small
Sun Dec 15 2013, 05:33PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Have you tried this out yet, Andre?
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 16 2013, 01:17AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I was a member of an online ELF group for a few years until it started inflating with 'national security' and Area 51-type nonsense.

I remain enthusiastic about the 8.9 kHz experimental amateur band, where contacts over several hundred kilometres can very occasionally be made.

That said, the best online resource by far for the low frequency experimenter is the excellent "Radio Waves Below 22 kHz." Link2 There is a whole section on practical designs for VLF/ULF antennae.

There has been a lot of VLF interest in so-called 'negative impedance active antennas' and 'negative impedance converters' over the last ten years, and I will be constructing one as a winter project - when the weather rules out getting drunk in the garden and painting my nails. These are perfect for use with ferrite rods. A search for negative impedance active antenna will produce a good crop of papers and patents dealing with everything from VLF to UHF.

Lastly, one of the most popular forms of frequency selection at VLF and ULF is the gyrator which does away with the need for huge variable capacitors or their varicap analogues. In the gyrator, a capacitance - or really the effect of a capacitance - is multiplied by an amplifier, as we see in this simple but fully tested receiver design: Link2,d.d2k

Conundrum
Mon Dec 16 2013, 07:38AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Interesting PM, thanks for sharing.
Not heard of a negative impedance before, how does this work?
Is it similar to negative differential resistance?

EDIT: Link2

Link2

Took 2 seconds to find these on Google Skynet.
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 16 2013, 11:53AM
For someone who wants to get into VLF and ELF at minimum outlay, by far the easiest and quickest way in, is to use your computer soundcard in conjunction with a free audio spectrum analyser like Spectrum Lab Link2

You can be monitoring ELF today!

The biggest problem with ELF/VLF receivers is man-made noise, hard to get away from at these frequencies. Directional antennas like ferrite rods can help reduce some local noise.
BigBad
Mon Dec 16 2013, 03:23PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Conundrum wrote ...

I think this guy is onto something, a lot of research into wireless power transfer assumes that a small antenna simply cannot work but in fact if it is properly made the efficiency is actually higher than conventional knowledge predicts.
Nah.

I wondered about that as well, but ELF detectors have to power the antenna from an external power source.

It turns out that antennas below quarter wave are increasingly lossy.

It doesn't matter much for a detector; because you can use positive feedback to cancel out the losses, or amplification, but for wireless power it slaughters link performance, you can't do either of those two things.

At least, this is with standard antenna materials like copper and aluminium. All bets are off if you've got superconducting detectors, they may well work at very small sizes relative to the wavelength particularly at ELF.
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 16 2013, 04:09PM
Induction coils - huge solenoids usually buried in the ground - are one of the best antenna types at ULF - for getting reliable signals from the Schumann Resonances for example: Link2

Conundrum is right to the extent that interesting work can be done at VLF with short E-field probes, and that one doesn't need a Soviet-style 100 km long wire antenna to discover much that is interesting at the very low frequencies.

Below about 10 kHz, the Earth antenna produces surprisingly good results - two copper rods banged into the ground as far apart as possible - 50 metres is enough but 100 metres is better. (The transmitting version of this is called a ground dipole or horizontal electric dipole.)

Lastly, there is the tree antenna. Two nails banged into the trunk of a big tree a couple of metres apart will produce a small but detectable ELF output. (This really does work in practice, and a few peer-reviewed papers have been devoted to it.)
Scott Fusare
Mon Dec 16 2013, 04:55PM
Scott Fusare Registered Member #531 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 10:51AM
I have had success in detecting the Schumann resonances with a relatively small E-Field probe. It was not without challenges as I had to pack up and drive all the kit to a nearby location (riverside park) that was "quite" as compared to my home.

Keeping the probe relatively small (2 meter long telescoping whip) was also key as I had nearby medium wave transmitters as well as NAA pounding the front end. The big downside is the need to keep the input impedance in the 10s to 100s of GigaOhm range. Still easier than winding giant coils IMO...
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 16 2013, 06:12PM
Scott Fusare wrote ...

I have had success in detecting the Schumann resonances with a relatively small E-Field probe. It was not without challenges as I had to pack up and drive all the kit to a nearby location (riverside park) that was "quite" as compared to my home.

Keeping the probe relatively small (2 meter long telescoping whip) was also key as I had nearby MW transmitters as well as NAA pounding the front end. The big downside is the need to keep the input impedance in the 10s to 100s of GigaOhm range. Still easier than winding giant coils IMO...

Well done on bringing in the Schumann's, Scott! smile

I live a few miles from a power station with acres of HV switching gear and giant pylons straddling the countryside, so VLF and below is challenging here. A portable rig you can take out into the boondocks is the only way to go here.
Scott Fusare
Mon Dec 16 2013, 06:53PM
Scott Fusare Registered Member #531 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 10:51AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Well done on bringing in the Schumann's, Scott! smile

I live a few miles from a power station with acres of HV switching gear and giant pylons straddling the countryside, so VLF and below is challenging here. A portable rig you can take out into the boondocks is the only way to go here.

Thanks Mary!

Truth be told, I think I was just incredibly lucky to find an acceptable monitoring location on my first try. Even as quite as it was I had to run the data collections early in the morning. Passing cars, bicycles and even insects were detectable. Nothing like playing with a 100 Gohm input impedance system to see how alive the world is from an electrical sense, charge separation going on all around :)

My sympathies for your noisy location. During my natural radio listening days I found I could hear the big HV power lines for many a kilometer. As the Schumann site was not good for whistler reception (something I never understood) I used to drag everything 100 KM away into the nearby national forest area to find electrical peace and quiet.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: