Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ionization energy in a vaccum

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andy
Wed Dec 11 2013, 05:15AM Print
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Hi all
Looking at Link2 Al has 5.98eV for the first electron ionization. I was wondering if there is two Al electrodes inside a vacuum chamber, with 8 volt between the electrodes, would the vacuum pass the electrons from one electrode to the other.
If the vacuum is at what a basic vacuum pump can do, say 1psi spaced 1cm apart.
Or would the energies be of air instead of Al?

Thanks
vircator
Wed Dec 11 2013, 07:15AM
vircator Registered Member #3217 Joined: Mon Sept 20 2010, 06:14AM
I am not a physicist or chemist but I think eV is an energy unit, Volt is a potential difference. Yes, the electron would get 8eV of kinetic energy IF it has passed that potential difference (eg flying from a cathode to an anode). My gut feeling says that the strength of the electrical field (Which also depends on the shape of the electrodes) is relevant and not only the potential difference.
Wed Dec 11 2013, 04:13PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
There are a few problems with your plan:
1. The 'first electron ionization' energy is in fact the energy required to ionize the first valence electron, however the only (practical) ways to couple that energy to an atom is to hit it with a photon of greater or equal energy, or heat the surface hot enough so that there is enough thermal energy to ionize (this is how filaments work in vacuum tubes). If you just apply a static field of 5v/cm to the atom nothing will happen, because the electric field due to the nucleus is like 10^12v/cm. However, if you were able to ionize an electron off the surface with a photon, you could add an additional 5ev of energy to it using your proposed setup.
2. If you could ionize an electron (say using a UV light source, a 250nm photon has roughly 6ev of energy), it will not travel very far with a 1psi backing pressure, the mean free path is ~1micrometer, so after a few micrometers all of the electrons will have crashed into something. For electron experiments you would want at least a decent vacuum pump, a normal 'rotary vane' type pump will get down to tens of mTorr, or ~.0001psi, which is still only a mean free path of a few mm, ideally you would go to something like a turbo or diffusion pump for dealing with low energy electrons.
Andy
Wed Dec 11 2013, 04:57PM
If I was to use a static field, would there be a rough guide to the voltage needed to emit a electron. How hot would the filament have to be at low voltages?,Does it matter how much watts to the UV filament, how close does it have to be to the electrodes? How much more would the mean free path be with hydrogen, I've seen a calculator on the net, Link2 but it needs to know the angstroms value.

Sorry about the twenty questions :)
klugesmith
Wed Dec 11 2013, 07:12PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Andy, look up "field emission".
To get a cold metal surface to emit electrons, without illumination,
you want sharp needle points and many thousands of volts.
The resulting E field strength at the metal/vacuum interface is on the order of 10^9 volts/meter.
Compare that to breakdown of air at normal pressure & temperature: 3 x 10^6 volts/meter.
Bored Chemist
Wed Dec 11 2013, 08:55PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I'm fairly sure the 5.98 eV figure is for an aluminium atom in the vapour phase.

If you are thinking of knocking electrons out of metal with UV you need to consider this parameter instead.
Link2
The good news is that it's only about 4 eV. The bad news is that you need a clean aluminium surface to get that value and a clean surface needs an ultra high vacuum to maintain it for any useful length of time.
Andy
Thu Dec 12 2013, 05:40PM
Hi klugesmith
I'm not yet sure, but I don't think I want a arc, just the low powered electron source, that won't make a conductive path.

Hi Bored Chemist
What metal would need the least amount of cleaning and a rotary pump, I'm assuming the Al will oxides, tungsten/titanium? I should be able to get a sanitizer UV lamp, but would a xray tube have more effect.

For the UV light, what would be a good plastic that would let the light through, in the ranges of 315 – 280(3.94 – 4.43 eV) nm,280 – 100 nm(4.43 – 12.4 eV),200 – 122 nm(6.20 – 10.16 eV)

The Ultraviolet C and Mg electrode might work, would Mg need cleaning?Hydrogen atmosphere?
W 4.32 – 5.22eV
Ti 4.33
Cu 4.53 – 5.10
Mg 3.66
Zn 3.63 – 4.9
Fe 4.67 – 4.81

Thanks
Bored Chemist
Thu Dec 12 2013, 08:57PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I wasn't kidding about UHV
Link2

And most plastics are not good at transmitting UV- the manufacturers often add materials which absorb UV to prevent the light degrading the plastic.
Polymethyl methacrylate (plexiglass or perspex) isn't too bad.
Andy
Thu Dec 12 2013, 09:16PM
I was hoping for 1 year....But is in the seconds,Is that with low voltages?
A needle point 0.5mm2 or less and about >1kv could be used, with hopeful the back scattered rays continually ionize the anode. Just need a kick start, I think

If the voltage was AC would it still get coated with the gases positive ion?

For hydrogen the angstroms is 0.25, at 0.5psi gives 4mm which should be enough from that calc.
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 04:40PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
In gaps narrower than 10 μm, current in the μA regime can flow before breakdown occurs in air at atmospheric pressure, due to ion-enhanced field emission from the cathode.

Paschen's Law goes off the rails on the microscale, which is why this is such a cool new subject.

It's all explained here: Link2

How can I make gaps less than 10 μm with the basic tools of the home workshop, that's what I want to know.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: