Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Super-Flyback SGTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Sun Sept 10 2006, 02:10PM Print
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I thought it was about time I started a thread for this coil. I started building this coil a couple of months ago, and it has been one of those on and off projects, but today I have almost completed it except winding the secondary and finishing the topload (the secondary and topload you see are taken from one of my SSTCs, and the frequency is way too high!

Anyway, I wanted to build a portable demonstration coil that would always be ready to run, that was the main motivation behind this thing. It's powered by a large flyback taken from a Sony Triniton TV. A ZVS drives the flyback for quite a nice DC output, I can draw flaming white 4" arcs without anything complaining. So far, the power supply has been totally reliable. The supply charges a 10nF, 20Kv MMC, with 8M2 resistors fitted across each cap (finally, they arrived yesterday). No resonant charging inductor yet, but I will probably add this if i'm feeling brave. The secondary diameter is about 2".

Everything (just!) fits into a small pine box I constructed (about 165x165x90mm), with a 60mm fan blowing air through and over the gap.

Anyway, here's a few pics! First light pics will be added shortly, although the system is just about untunable at the moment with it's >1Mhz secondary and 10nF tank cap. The thing looks and sounds fierce when the spark gap lights up the internals of the case through the fan grill, it's exactly the effect I wanted cheesey

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2465

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2477

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2917

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2921

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2922

1157897074 103 FT0 Img 2923
Marko
Sun Sept 10 2006, 02:22PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I don't think you need a resonant charger since you already have plenty of voltage available!

Just widen the gap for more power wink

Avalanche
Sun Sept 10 2006, 04:21PM
True, I don't think I will add it afterall, I just thought it might help charge the caps faster for more BPS.

That might not be necessary though. Currently I have all 5 sparks working on the spark gap, and it's still firing at like 3-400BPS suprised

Getting about 4" sparks at the moment, can't wait to see what happens when the thing is tuned.

Edit - I've just shot a quick video (953KB, WMV). The topload is way too lossy, I definitely think this coil can do more! It does a maximum of about 4" to ground, or just a bunch of corona to air.

video
Marko
Sun Sept 10 2006, 04:54PM
Oh, she's pretty.. Try giving her some more coupling if you can!

Some other improvments I can think off could be extending a gap a bit, but carefully not to blow the MMC.

I would make a tunable gap simply by putting two adjusting screws close to each side of nut-gap, so you can realign the gap for mm or two if needed.

Maybe making primary a bit thicker and with less turns, I guess you don't need that much of them for ~1Mhz coil (just speculating, I would have to calculate it).

Part Scavenger
Sun Sept 10 2006, 04:55PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
That's going to be really nice. I've been thinking about a project like that, but haven't got around to it. Your's is already nicer than mine would ever be though...
Avalanche
Sun Sept 10 2006, 05:43PM
I wouldn't say that rolleyes

Build another case like your ring launcher uses, and it would look awesome!

Anyway I'm going to make a new secondary soon, but I won't be aiming for as high as 1Mhz, probably about 500Khz or something. I have some thinner wire ready, hopefully I'll be able to use some more of those primary turns that way.
Tetrafluoroethane
Wed Nov 01 2006, 04:57PM
Tetrafluoroethane Registered Member #127 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:36PM
I was just wondering where you routed your RF ground on this. I checked out the project page on your website and wasn't able to discern it. Just curious since this is quite in line with my next project. Thanks Avalanche.
Avalanche
Sat Nov 04 2006, 08:23PM
sorry I only just spotted your post!

RF ground just goes from the base and out of the side of the case, along with the supply cable (it isn't shown in the above pics) It then just has a crocodile clip so I can attach it to anything that can form a ground. Internally, I just tried to keep it away from all the HV stuff.

still need to wind a secondary for this coil, I should be able to get much more than 4" out of it.
Marko
Mon Nov 06 2006, 10:02PM
Avalanche: on your site, there seems to be a flaw in schematic you drawn; you connected UF4008's between gates and drains of same mosfets, instead to each-others.

Probably obivous to most people, but you could take a look at it if you want. smile
Avalanche
Tue Nov 07 2006, 07:57AM
Doh, so I have, probably shouldn't draw schematics in the early hours cry

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll sort it out. Hope no-one has used that schematic...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: