Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My school coilgun poject

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Yandersen
Tue Feb 04 2014, 08:37PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Skynet, there is a banned user Dantist who asked me to send some valuable comments about your circuit.

1) The resistance of R6 (1K) is too small. This resistor discharges C1 and C3, so the voltage on high side driver will critically drop in 25ms and low voltage on the gate of Q1 may damage it. Dantist recommends to change R6 to 10K, I recommend to get rid of R6 and R7 at all.

2) The pics you posted show long wires between the IGBT's pins and a power capacitor. This adds a parasitic inductance which creates a dangerous for IGBTs and the driver voltage spikes when coil is switched off. Dantist recommends to add a small capacitor in parallel with the main cap, but connect this little cap directly to IGBTs' pins making connection wires as short as possible. By his own successful experience, Dantist recommends this type of caps: Link2
I do not have practical experience with halfbridges, but if I would build one, I would simply mount IGBTs and diodes right on the main cap. The wires from IGBTs to coil may be long - no problem here.

P.S.: too bad that 4hv had banned the guy who built this.
Skynet
Wed Feb 05 2014, 09:04PM
Skynet Registered Member #11734 Joined: Thu Mar 21 2013, 08:44PM
So... I made changes added Shottkys and zeners. I did some test shot on 150V and its realy weird... look at photo of voltage on IGBT gates. And for more my TTL logic stoped working after that shot.
1391634246 11734 FT158837 05022014357
Yandersen
Wed Feb 05 2014, 09:55PM
How are you able to measure both gates at the same time?! Both drivers have different reference level ("ground")! Did you SCed COM and Vs? Obviously everything will burn then. [facepalm]
Skynet
Wed Feb 05 2014, 10:11PM
Ok I´m an idiot :D When I want to measure it I did not realized that the ground on the oscilloscope are connected together :D I´ll fix damage tomorow.

I measured voltage on resistors R6 and R7 IC, IGBTs are fine just logic have problem I made multiple shots on diferent voltages on capacitor and everything worked good.

Heres the picture of voltage on gates with 50V on cap(taken before 150V test). With 30V it worked perfectly.

1391638282 11734 FT158837 05022014356
Skynet
Thu Feb 06 2014, 01:42PM
Ok I completely remaked logic circuit (I´ll post it later it still needs some fixes and I dont know how to fix them) but now it works great smile

At pic is gate voltage and volatge on SD pin on IC.

Video from 200V test (I had to fill a box with cardboard because projectiles were flying through. :D)

1391694165 11734 FT158837 06022014358
Yandersen
Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:21PM
Oh, very good. Congrats! :) Will you test 400V now?
Skynet
Thu Feb 06 2014, 10:08PM
Next week probably I need to short wires between IGBT and main cap also add small HV caps refered by Dantist. Cause I dont want do burn another IGBT its not cheap toy :D

Now I updating scheme to 1.3 revision with 555 timer "logic" its realy messy scheme but work good for 1.st stage at another stages it would be slow. So it would need big improve..hope that we dound some solution.. Issues with the old logic were caused by EMI from coil switching- I used CMOS logic =>bad idea for coilgun :D

After that I try 400V I hope for success cheesey
Yandersen
Fri Feb 07 2014, 01:32AM
Skynet, what about current limiting? If you equally drive both IGBT, having them ON while the optogate is dimmed, then the longer that gate is dimmed the longer the coil is ON. So first stages are overpowered and subsequent stages will have less energy stored in coil. Senseless, don't you think? Each coil must have the same energy. Think about different approach: once the gate got dimmed, both IGBTs get opened. But high side IGBT automatically closes after t microseconds and stays off no matter what. This way you get predetermined current and amount of energy stored in coil (whatever built up for t us). When the high side IGBT closes, the current loops in coil and low side IGBT. When the optogate get lighted again, the low side IGBT closes also and coil empties whatever magnetic energy left in it back into the cap. Just use a 555 timer in monovibrator mode to drive high side: trigger it with the short pulse when gate is dimmed and let it switch itself off once the specified time interval ends.
Skynet
Tue Apr 07 2015, 09:50PM
Soooo after realy long pause I´am back!

After previous problems I decided to gain more experience for driving IGBT with best method.
I decided to construct an electrically isolated IGBT driver. Today I finaly assembled new driver and everthing seems to work fine.

Be tuned for more progress wink
1428443430 11734 FT158837 Igbt Driver

1428443430 11734 FT158837 11147898 10200263866675361 1809043350 O

1428443430 11734 FT158837 10003074 10200242067610398 704930396 N
DerAlbi
Wed Apr 08 2015, 07:33AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Great progress! I like the setup.
If you ever redesign the circuit i would suggest you include a 555-Timer as monoflop and AND-gate the input signal to the IGBT-driver. In this way you cant accidently turn the IGBT on for a longer time than safe given a certain Motor-Inductance. Ive done the same thing (..well at least similar) and its totally safe to operate- It surived every failure condition so far.
When i look into your ICs datasheet, i see you chose the configuration for parallel IGBT-Drive. (presumably for higher drive strength) I can tell from my experience that this causes more problems than it helps to avoid. A slow gate drive is not so bad as you think it is.
Youve got some strayinductance in your half-bridge circuit (specially from the Collector to the Diode above + the ESL of your capacitors and wiring.)
This strayinductance takes time to discharge and thats actually your limiting factor for your switching speed. There is no difference to slower switching and shorter active clamping and fast switching and longer active clamping. The only thing that differs is the complexity of your circuit and how much EMI problems you cause for the sourrounding circuit.

Keep it up! Its really good to see someone here whos actually producing something that works!
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: