Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Omnidirectional resonant inductive wireless power?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
BigBad
Tue Oct 22 2013, 08:12PM Print
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
For abstract knowledge I was trying to work out whether it's possible to make wireless power work in any direction.

I figured if you use slightly different frequencies for 3 orthogonal coils, then provided the bandwidth of the receiving coil is sufficiently wide, then it will accept power for any/all of them.

Then I started wondering whether you need different frequencies, whether you could just phase the coils.

If you had 2 coils at 90 degrees, phased at 90 degrees for example then that gives a rotating field, that would allow you to have the receiver coil in anything except the plane of rotation. Adding a third coil and running at 120 degrees phase helps, but there's the diagonal line where the receiver coil is coaxial you get no reception because the phases cancel along it.

It looks like if you add a fourth transmitter coil along that line that it's possible to get omindirectional reception, but I'm not absolutely completely certain.

Anyone have any deep insights? It's just a bit of fun, dunno what it's good for.
Uspring
Wed Oct 23 2013, 09:18AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
BigBad wrote:
If you had 2 coils at 90 degrees, phased at 90 degrees for example then that gives a rotating field, that would allow you to have the receiver coil in anything except the plane of rotation.
That looks like a sound idea to me. A magnetic far field can be described by a vector, i.e. a dipole moment. The field it creates is strongest in the plane perpendicular to the vector. A rotating field, like you describe it, would correspond to a rotating vector. The plane of strongest field rotates with it and sweeps all of the space around it.
The receiving loop should not lie in the plane of rotation, but perpendicular to it.

Edit: The orthogonal of the plane the receiving loop lies in should not point into the direction of the source of the magnetic field.

BigBad
Wed Oct 23 2013, 02:43PM
Uspring wrote ...

BigBad wrote:
If you had 2 coils at 90 degrees, phased at 90 degrees for example then that gives a rotating field, that would allow you to have the receiver coil in anything except the plane of rotation.
That looks like a sound idea to me. A magnetic far field can be described by a vector, i.e. a dipole moment. The field it creates is strongest in the plane perpendicular to the vector. A rotating field, like you describe it, would correspond to a rotating vector. The plane of strongest field rotates with it and sweeps all of the space around it.
The receiving loop should not lie in the plane of rotation, but perpendicular to it.

Edit: The orthogonal of the plane the receiving loop lies in should not point into the direction of the source of the magnetic field.
[/quote]
Not quite; if it points directly away or towards from the centre of the transmitter, then the magnitude of the normal flux is maximum when the peaks/troughs of the spinning field are 45 degrees either side of the coil.

It turns out that, over time, the total flux density going through any point in a rotating field is constant, but the direction constantly rotates around.

I'm pretty sure that with more coils the directions can be forced to keep changing giving omnidirectional response.
Uspring
Wed Oct 23 2013, 05:47PM
In my first post I mixed up static dipole fields with radiation fields. Radiation fields don't have any longitudinal components but static fields can have them.

With a third coil you can make the dipole moment point in any direction. With some phase shift in the third coil, the plane of rotation will be different, but you will still have planar rotation unless you change the phase over time. A phase change involves the use of 2 frequencies, though.

Planar rotation will give you some power everywhere, although 4 times as much in the plane of rotation than perpendicular to it.

BigBad
Wed Oct 23 2013, 06:18PM
Yes, I don't think three are enough for a single frequency, although it is better than two.

I think if you have four coils placed at the corners of a pyramid with their axes pointing towards the centre, and wire them as two phase, I think the magnetic field wobbles as you do a single cycle and that gives you omnidirectional reception for a flat coil.

They would cancel at the middle of the pyramid, but not anywhere else.

I'm not sure whether that's a practical design though, the coupling might be a bit much for the two driving tank circuits.
Ash Small
Wed Oct 23 2013, 06:31PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
BigBad wrote ...

I'm not sure whether that's a practical design though, the coupling might be a bit much for the two driving tank circuits.

If I understand this correctly, as long as you arrange the coils at 90 degrees to each other this shouldn't be an issue.
BigBad
Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:18PM
4 coils at right angles to each other? Not quite sure how that works wink

3 coils at ninety degrees has a null diagonal line unless you run them at different frequencies.

4 coils, that share a centre, not at 90 degrees might work I suppose, the fields might semi-miraculously cancel each other, I'd have to check.
BigBad
Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:30PM
Oh wait, perhaps you're right, maybe there is a 90 degree thing if each of the two sets of coils are on different phase. So each phase doesn't have to be 90 degrees, but the two phases are 90 degrees to each other? Hmm.
Ash Small
Thu Oct 24 2013, 12:16AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
It's late and I've had a drink or three, but can you use six coils, with opposing pairs 180 degrees out of phase, all three pairs at the same frequency, but different phases?.....ie, a 'three phase' system? (actually 6 phase, I think)
Uspring
Thu Oct 24 2013, 08:37AM
Increasing the number of coils beyond 2 won't help, if you consider the far field dipole moment and a single frequency with fixed phases and amplitudes. The dipole moment is the sum of the moments of all coils and will always trace out an ellipse in space. This is also possible with just 2 coils.

Near fields are more complex, they can have quadrupole and higher moments. These will die out faster with distance.

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: