All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

making a vacuum dewar

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Mon Oct 21 2013, 07:59PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Has anyone made one out of thin aluminum or stainless steel tubing? I have a vacuum pump and I was thinking...

I could take two slightly different sized aluminum tubes with both ends sealed. I could put on a valve and pull a vacuum. This would require TIG welding and some lathe/mill work.

Has anyone done this?
Ash Small
Mon Oct 21 2013, 08:49PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Why bother when you can buy one of those cheap stainless flasks for a few £/$?
IamSmooth
Mon Oct 21 2013, 09:01PM
Just for the sake of doing it. I already bought my $10 thermos bottle. I'm just wondering if I can do it, too.

It also allows me to design the geometry. I know I'm not going to do it just for the reason that it is too much effort for little return.
Ash Small
Mon Oct 21 2013, 11:31PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I did have a stainless Dewar once, I may still have it somewhere.....not sure....
Billybobjoe
Tue Oct 22 2013, 02:13AM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
Go for it. It certainly doesn't seem impossible. But I suppose it depends on the quality of dewar you want/need in terms of holding time. Personally, my two two main concerns are:

1) The top connection from the inner chamber to outer shell. This needs to be designed in such a way that insulates but can also withstand the extreme temperature gradient and thermal shock if you are going to pour LN2 or liquid air from it. I've only worked closely with one particular dewar, and it was a dry vapor shipper type. It had some type of composite (i.e. fiberglass/phenolic) tube, which I assume was a very good insulator, between the inner and outer shells. See pic below for cutaway of almost the exact model. Note the very long neck. Welded stainless would be my choice for a homemade one.

2) The quality of vacuum required. You need a surprisingly high vacuum to make an efficient dewar. According to this Link2, 1 micron (10^-3 torr) or lower is ideal. Not sure what your vacuum setup is, but this will be pretty difficult without a diffusion or turbo pump. Maintaining it for a long period of time in a sealed container will be even more difficult. I wonder if commercial dewars use some type of getter. Of course you could always just vacuum it out every so often if you feel that its losing its insulating abilities.

1382407930 396 FT158250 Dewar

*in this type, LN2 is held in an absorbent material in order to keep some biological specimen cool while remaining spill-proof.
Bored Chemist
Tue Oct 22 2013, 02:36PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Commercial dewars "cheat" on the vacuum.
They have some charcoal held in contact with the inner vessel so that when it has liquid nitrogen in the charcoal is kept very cold. It then acts as a getter.
ConKbot of Doom
Wed Oct 23 2013, 05:24AM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

They have some charcoal held in contact with the inner vessel so that when it has liquid nitrogen in the charcoal is kept very cold. It then acts as a getter.

Interesting trick. How much does this bring the vacuum down the unit is in use? Does it bring it down from what a roughing pump can do (5-20 mm-hg) to a much harder vacuum? or does it go from something already pretty good, to even better?

edit: did some reading, looks like single digit torr-militorr down to a harder vacuum Link2
IamSmooth
Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:54PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

This is interesting. Do you mean that the cold charcoal absorbs the residual gas in the insulating chamber? Would you elaborate on your comment if I am wrong.

edit: I read the link. So, how many dewars use this method vs a pure vacuum?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: