Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What determins the top speed of the railgun? is it when watts = friction?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Fri Oct 04 2013, 10:25AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The discussion we've had so far hasn't included friction between the projectile and rails, and this is in fact the main source of inefficiency in a railgun.

A huge part of railgun design is the tradeoff between friction, contact resistance and current density. The more current you want to ram through it, the higher contact pressure and larger contact surface you need, so the more friction you get. If you try to push a high current through a projectile with small, low-pressure contacts, it may well just vaporise instead of moving.

It follows that railguns of all sizes are only as efficient as their contact systems. The best way of addressing this on a hobbyist budget that I've seen is Rapp Instruments' projectile made of a plexiglass oblong with a hole through it stuffed full of stranded copper wire.

PS: A motor with no back EMF is impossible according to conservation of energy. In order for mechanical power to come out, something must consume the power out of the electrical domain.
PlayNice
Fri Oct 04 2013, 09:36PM
PlayNice Registered Member #8032 Joined: Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:22AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The best way of addressing this on a hobbyist budget that I've seen is Rapp Instruments' projectile made of a plexiglass oblong with a hole through it stuffed full of stranded copper wire.

Do you have more info on this, link maybe? I'd love to read more about it, but can't seem to find the project you are talking about.

PS I found more info actually, thanks
BigBad
Fri Oct 04 2013, 10:57PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The motion of the projectile generates a counter EMF that opposes the voltage of the power supply. So the faster it goes, the less voltage is available to drive current through it, hence the less Lorentz force pushing it along.

At a certain speed, the counter EMF will equal the power supply voltage and the projectile won't accelerate any more, it will just keep on going at that speed. In a good railgun design, this should happen just about the time that it reaches the end of the rails.
Doesn't sound right off hand. Wouldn't that imply that the current is zero?

Isn't it more like a universal motor, no particular limit, just thrust goes down with speed? Isn't it a type of series 'wound' electric motor? So it will keep accelerating until the friction equals thrust, but if there's low friction, it will keep getting faster?
BigBad
Fri Oct 04 2013, 11:13PM
Basically, the back-emf causes field weakening, so it never stops accelerating when driven with a constant voltage (at least until friction stops it.)

Also, rail guns run on both AC/DC, never knew that!
Fri Oct 04 2013, 11:29PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I think your comments are consistent with Steve's, you are just looking at it differently.

You said 'just thrust goes down with speed', which is what Steve means when he says 'at a certain speed the counter EMF will equal the power supply voltage, and the projectile won't accelerate anymore'--in the absence of friction these statements are identical at the limiting case of the motors top speed, where thrust=0 and speed=maximum (determined by the supply voltage and Kv of the motor)

And like has been mentioned, there are 2 sources of inefficiency in a railgun:
1. Resistance -- this leads to energy being dissipated as heat in the wire/contacts
2. Friction -- this leads to energy being dissipated as heat at the contacts (and possibly some air compression if you start getting to high enough efficiencies that this becomes significant)

If you could create a frictionless, superconducting railgun you could accelerate a particle at 100% efficiency (ignoring practical things like a power supply that can output the necessary ramping voltage to match the back emf, with 100% efficiency, etc)
BigBad
Fri Oct 04 2013, 11:52PM
No, no. With a constant voltage, in the absence of friction there's no upper speed limit; on an infinite rail (neglecting rail resistance) it won't tend to a speed, it will continue to accelerate with an acceleration inversely proportional to speed.

The trick is that the back EMF reduces the current in the rail, which in turn reduces the back EMF, so it reaches a compromise; it's called field weakening, it's a fairly common thing in electric motors done to increase top speed, sometimes it's done deliberately, but series wound motors do it automatically.

So there's no top speed (unless friction says otherwise)
PlayNice
Sat Oct 05 2013, 12:44AM
So you're saying as the back emf increases as the projectile speed increases, if you could increase the supply voltage at the same rate then the projectile would just keep accelerating? (infinite rail, no friction)

PS. so building something like a custom built ballast specifically for a railgun that keep the current constant but can very the voltage would be the best solution?
Steve Conner
Sat Oct 05 2013, 01:05PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
You are right, the counter EMF is proportional to current, so it behaves like a series wound motor, not a permanent magnet one.

The motor textbooks will tell you that the speed of a series wound motor is only limited by friction, and a big one can race to destruction if it loses its load.
BigBad
Sat Oct 05 2013, 05:05PM
-QQ- wrote ...

So you're saying as the back emf increases as the projectile speed increases, if you could increase the supply voltage at the same rate then the projectile would just keep accelerating? (infinite rail, no friction)
No, you keep the voltage the same, and it keeps accelerating indefinitely, albeit ever slower, but it doesn't tend to a limit.

The trick is that the back EMF is proportional to the field strength due to the rail at the projectile mulitplied by the current multiplied by the length of the sabot.

F = B i L

but the field is proportional to the current also:

B = i k

where k is some geometric constant

so:

F = i ^2 k L

The back EMF is:

E = i L v

And the current is just determined by the voltage across and resistance through the sabot, R:

(V - E) = i R

i = (V - E)/R

i = (V -iLv)/R

i = V/(R (1+Lv)

so as you can see, as v increases the current comes down, but never goes to zero. As v->infinity the current tends to V/RLv. But the force/acceleration is a square law. So it takes four times as long to double the speed each time, but it WILL double the speed.

This is because it's 'series wound' if the magnetic field was provided by an external permanent magnet, the magnetic field through the sabot would be constant and the back-emf would eventually reduce the current to zero. But here, as the current goes down, the field weakens, and that never happens.
PlayNice
Tue Oct 08 2013, 03:15AM
Thanks for the explanation, I think I get it now. So then basically only thing that limits the speed of a railgun is my budget lol
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: