All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCRs and MOSFETs

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Wed Sept 06 2006, 01:24AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I understand some of the differences with the two devices. I guess what I don't appreciate yet is how one decides which one to use for an application.
EDY19
Wed Sept 06 2006, 03:08AM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Well, Mosfets are used where fast switching times are neccessary, and being required to turn on and off very quickly, while most SCRs are used in pulse applications where the whole charge of a capacitor bank is discharged or when the frequency isn't too great. There are WAY more differences, but these are the most important two in my opinion. A search on google will explain a lot!
Quantum Singularity
Wed Sept 06 2006, 03:36AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Your application generaly dictates what you use since they arent all that interchangable. You might see both used in coilguns though, depends on the specifics there. I have used some scr's in my coilgun because all I am interested in is turning it completely on and letting a cap discharge through it. They also require very little supporting circuitry like a switch, resistor, and battery is all mine use to trigger. Plus one can get pretty high rated scr's for cheap (like used ones on ebay capable of pulsing several kA, often found for under $10 US each). In my project there is no need to turn it back off, something a typical scr circuit cant do.
IamSmooth
Wed Sept 06 2006, 11:43AM
I connected a SCR and MOSFET to the same setup. I have an LED going from Vc to the Anode. I have a 1k resistor going from the Source/K to GND. I have one end of a 150 ohm resistor (R2) connected to the Gate and the other end I can toggle between +5v/float/GND.

Assume that Vc is always +5v and never dissipates.

MOSFET: THe LED goes on when I connect the other end of R2 to +5v. When I disconnect R2 the LED stays lit for a few seconds and goes off. If I immediately connect the end of R2 to GND after disconnecting from +5v the LED goes off.

SCR: The LED lights when R2 is connected to +5v. It goes off when I disconnect from +5v and it floats OR is connected to GND.

Is this difference in behavior of any consideration for circuit design?
uzzors2k
Wed Sept 06 2006, 12:04PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

MOSFET: THe LED goes on when I connect the other end of R2 to +5v. When I disconnect R2 the LED stays lit for a few seconds and goes off. If I immediately connect the end of R2 to GND after disconnecting from +5v the LED goes off.

This is due to gate capacitance, and is a major issue when switching MOSFETs.

MOSFETs act as switches which you can switch voltage with in almost any way you want.

SCRs are a switch which will latch and won't turn off until current stops flowing through it. Then it opens again if the gate voltage is removed.

Well thats just my 0.12 NOK...
IamSmooth
Wed Sept 06 2006, 12:47PM
uzzors wrote ...

This is due to gate capacitance, and is a major issue when switching MOSFETs.

How does one deal with the gate capacitance so it is not an issue? Ensure good grounding or current path when the Gate is suppose to be off?
uzzors2k
Wed Sept 06 2006, 05:58PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Either switch the gate off hard by using a negative signal during off time, or a pull down resistor.

Try putting a 1k resistor from gate to source on your breadboard setup, and the LED should turn off immediately after power is removed from the gate. This isn't really enough when dealing with high frequency though.
Steve Conner
Thu Sept 07 2006, 10:27AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The SCR should stay on forever after triggering. I guess it only goes out because the current through it isn't enough to latch it. Try removing the 1k resistor and replacing the LED with something that draws more current, like a flashlight bulb, to see the true way a SCR works.
Marko
Thu Sept 07 2006, 11:58AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Stove Cenner wrote ...

The SCR should stay on forever after triggering. I guess it only goes out because the current through it isn't enough to latch it. Try removing the 1k resistor and replacing the LED with something that draws more current, like a flashlight bulb, to see the true way a SCR works.

Minimum holding current is usually defined in SCR's datasheet.

SCR has little common with mosfet's actually; it is a PNPN wich resemble two complementary transistors with their bases and collectors interconnected.

When we give a small current pulse to NPN one it opens the upper PNP bjt, wich in return keeps current flowing trough NPNs base and device keeps conducting.

MOSFET controls current by changing ''passable area'' for current by electric field on the gate capacitance. WIth DC at gate mosfet consumes no current.
There are some differences between Jfet's, DMOS, enchacement mosfets etc. but that would be a sort of simplest explanation.
Simon
Sun Sept 10 2006, 01:19AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
uzzors wrote ...

Either switch the gate off hard by using a negative signal during off time, or a pull down resistor.
A pull down resistor of maybe 1M is worth having anyway in a lot of apps.

One of my first CGs had a sensitive gate SCR with gate left floating. I learnt my lesson after a few unintended firings.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: